Anyone have opinion or experience with Plitron OPT?

Alan0354

I am looking at Plitron PAT-4004-01 https://www.plitron.com/toroidal-audio-tube-output-transformers/
BW is very high of 178KHz, it is 2756:5 ohm which translates to 2204:4 ohm impedance ratio. Perfect primary impedance for my design. Only one concern is there is no impedance tap to work with 8ohm speakers.

Price is $338USD ea and only $26USD for shipping both.

I am using for push pull, so I don't need transformer that can run a lot of DC current.

I like to hear from anyone that has experience with Plitron OPT.

Search for Norman Koren's site - he did an amp with these a few years back.
I need to read the articles. It talked about feedback and ultra low distortion. I am into ultra low distortion, I built two SS amp with 0.0035% THD at 20KHz, I like the sound. I have a Nakamichi PA-7 Stasis 200W amp designed by Nelson Pass, it is a slightly improved version of his famous Threshold S300. I like my amp better. My amps give more clarity, better separation, more 3D and better sound stage.

My believe is for a ultra low THD amp, one needs a very beefy low inductance speaker cable to make it work. I did extensive experiment on speaker cables. For non linear load like speakers, THD goes up tremendously along the speaker cable if the cable is not good enough. So if the speaker cable is not good enough, it will destroy the merit of an ultra low THD amplifier. Here is my thread on speaker cable:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/effect-of-speaker-cable-on-thd.764633/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/effect-of-speaker-cable-on-thd.764633/
It all started out with a non linear green resistor that evolve into dealing with non linear speaker load.

I need to read what Norman Koren say about this.

How much 'very beefy low inductance speaker cable', is there compared to the wire used to wind the secondary?
cheers,
Douglas

I am looking at Plitron PAT-4004-01 https://www.plitron.com/toroidal-audio-tube-output-transformers/
BW is very high of 178KHz, it is 2756:5 ohm which translates to 2204:4 ohm impedance ratio. Perfect primary impedance for my design. Only one concern is there is no impedance tap to work with 8ohm speakers.

Price is $338USD ea and only $26USD for shipping both.

I am using for push pull, so I don't need transformer that can run a lot of DC current.

I like to hear from anyone that has experience with Plitron OPT.

where did you get the price from? My attempt to get a price quote from them went unanswered.

John

They replied to my email. They gave me the price and shipping.

I just (finally!) received a reply to my RFQ from Plitron for two different transformers.

In addition to providing the unit prices: Minimum order $250,lead time for these units (these are listed as standard items in their catalog) 10 to 12 weeks (!?!?!) and no mention whatsoever regarding shipping options and pricing,despite my having requested this.Doesn't strike me as a company interested in my business.

Last edited:
I just (finally!) received a reply to my RFQ from Plitron for two different transformers.

In addition to providing the unit prices: Minimum order $250,lead time for these units (these are listed as standard items in their catalog) 10 to 12 weeks (!?!?!) and no mention whatsoever regarding shipping options and pricing,despite my having requested this.Doesn't strike me as a company interested in my business.

Is the person Anna Perruccio?

For output transformer, $250 minimum order is not bad. Yes, they did not give me the shipping cost the first time. I asked again, they quote me $25USD for two. You are in Canada, it should be cheaper.

One thing I don't like is their policy of no return right from the front. Also is 10 to 12wks.

Is the person Anna Perruccio?

For output transformer, $250 minimum order is not bad. Yes, they did not give me the shipping cost the first time. I asked again, they quote me $25USD for two. You are in Canada, it should be cheaper.

One thing I don't like is their policy of no return right from the front. Also is 10 to 12wks.

No,it was Dhruv Dalwadi,but Anna Perruccio was cc'd in the email. Might be because I used the RFQ feature on their website; perhaps he deals with inquiries and her with sales.

The order was not for output transformers,just standard ''catalog-item'' power transformers.Their minimum order level is way too high for hobbyists or technicians doing repairs or projects,so they have priced themselves right out of the game for many people.And in this day and age,a ten to twelve week lead time for a line item is ridiculous!

I remember when (1980's?) they were advertising in Glass Audio and other similar magazines,trying to boost sales with the ''little guys''.I guess they're too hifalutin now to deal with small potatoes. Must be all of the corporate accounts....

As much as I would like to buy Canadian,I have no qualms doing business elsewhere.In my case you get one chance to demonstrate customer service,and they failed miserably.In any event,there are many other suppliers and options:)

Edit: One transformer was priced at approx. $200,the other approx. $300.

Last edited:
Holy, over $200 for a power transformer?!!! I do have a feeling they are not little guys friendly. Maybe, we should write to Antek and ask for the voltages we want for tube power transformer. Antek is very cheap, they just don't have a lot of voltage selections for tubes. I am going to buy a 320V-320V 400VA. That's the lowest voltage they have for 400VA. If only they have more choices.

EDIT: In fact, I just wrote to Antek.http://www.antekinc.com/contact/

Maybe more of us should write to Antek. I am sure it's easy for them to add or subtract a few turns to get different voltages.

Last edited:
Holy, over $200 for a power transformer?!!! I do have a feeling they are not little guys friendly. Maybe, we should write to Antek and ask for the voltages we want for tube power transformer. Antek is very cheap, they just don't have a lot of voltage selections for tubes. I am going to buy a 320V-320V 400VA. That's the lowest voltage they have for 400VA. If only they have more choices.

EDIT: In fact, I just wrote to Antek.http://www.antekinc.com/contact/

Maybe more of us should write to Antek. I am sure it's easy for them to add or subtract a few turns to get different voltages.

Their choices seem to cover a pretty wide range. What you are basically asking for is a custom transformer. Heyboer does one-off customs and the cost, while of course higher than dime-a-dozen commodity items, it's not that bad for exactly what you want.

The transformers are 1000 and 1500 watt,so the price is higher than usual,but Antek is still approx. $100 less per transformer. I really haven't found shipping from the US to be more expensive than shipping within Canada.In fact,shipping from the US suppliers is often cheaper,probably due to ''arrangements'' with their chosen carriers.

Toroidy has a very comprehensive line of transformers,and their pricing is very competitive.I can imagine just the shipping charges would wipe out any savings on price though.Unfortunately,it is hard (and expensive!) enough getting US products through Canadian Customs,let alone products from overseas.Dealing with them is like dealing with the Shylock.

Their choices seem to cover a pretty wide range. What you are basically asking for is a custom transformer. Heyboer does one-off customs and the cost, while of course higher than dime-a-dozen commodity items, it's not that bad for exactly what you want.
Antek has the 275-0-275, but only in 300VA. Being a conservative, I really like to have 400VA instead. Antek doesn't have the wide choice in tube transformer as Hammond or Edcor. Antek is concentrated in SS transformer, they have infinite selection of SS power transformer. I so hope they have even 1/4 of selection for tube amps. They are cheap......and I am born cheap!!!

Back
Top Bottom