Anyone have Realistic brand tube gear?

EL 84's are the correct output tubes for the Realistic Stereo 40 A ... they are listed in the Radio Shack 1961 catalog if that's the amp we're still talking about.

At any rate it's a neat little amp, although I'm a little afraid to leave it alone while it's playing...worried it might burst into flames...lol.

EL 84's are the correct output tubes for the Realistic Stereo 40 A ... they are listed in the Radio Shack 1961 catalog if that's the amp we're still talking about.

At any rate it's a neat little amp, although I'm a little afraid to leave it alone while it's playing...worried it might burst into flames...lol.
Well, it is getting on in years and safety is always number 1. But, you should check the filter caps to see how warm they are after about 20 minutes after start up. They should still be relatively cool certainly not very warm or hot. Are you running the unit without the cabinet? If you can do that it really helps to keep the amp at a lower temp as the outside cab also becomes a heat shield and makes the amp run a lot hotter than without direct heat radiation by going topless. Without the cover you can also check the power tubes for signs of red plating which is not a good thing. The power supply caps and coupling caps can start to wear out faster now that you are using it as the high voltages will be able to find its way through weak spots on the insulation and eventually cause a failure. So, you have to be on the lookout for that. Failure is usually preceded by some horrible noise like a hum that gets increasingly louder and if you are luck a blown fuse.

Well, it is getting on in years and safety is always number 1. But, you should check the filter caps to see how warm they are after about 20 minutes after start up. They should still be relatively cool certainly not very warm or hot. Are you running the unit without the cabinet? If you can do that it really helps to keep the amp at a lower temp as the outside cab also becomes a heat shield and makes the amp run a lot hotter than without direct heat radiation by going topless. Without the cover you can also check the power tubes for signs of red plating which is not a good thing. The power supply caps and coupling caps can start to wear out faster now that you are using it as the high voltages will be able to find its way through weak spots on the insulation and eventually cause a failure. So, you have to be on the lookout for that. Failure is usually preceded by some horrible noise like a hum that gets increasingly louder and if you are luck a blown fuse.

Thanks Primo. Yes, she's topless after I realized how hot the cage became. I will check the caps as you suggested. I was mostly kidding about it bursting into flames, but yes safety is #1 and I don't like to run my tube equipment unattended.

Thanks Primo. Yes, she's topless after I realized how hot the cage became. I will check the caps as you suggested. I was mostly kidding about it bursting into flames, but yes safety is #1 and I don't like to run my tube equipment unattended.
I have not seen an amp do that but i once was witness to the power supply cap failing on a Dynaco MK3 and that scared the bejesus out me. It was quite loud and it made an even worse mess.

So far, so good with this little amp. Caps do not seem to overheat and the amp runs very quiet. I have it in a spare bedroom...playing with it using various speaker combinations to hear what sounds best.

The output tubes are Matsushita and may be original OEM. I believe they are Mullard clones...manufactured using Mullard design and specs. They sound very nice although the amp will not go as loud as my Fisher 500b. That's to be expected as the Fisher is rated at 32.5 wpc and the Realistic at 20 wpc.

Hi AK members.
This post is a bit late, but let's go.
I have a Realistic Stereo 36, with 18WPC, manufactured in USA between 1958 and 1959.
With the help of Tom Bavis, we discovered that it was manufactured by Madison Fielding, the equivalent being stereo tube amp Madison Fielding 360A. When I got it, It had all original tubes. 5 12ax7 and 4 el84 amperex / Holland, 1 12au7 mullard and a Mullard rectifier tube. With the help of the AK members, I did a recapp on it, and adjust the Bias output.It's perfect now.
I will have a problem in the future because the front panel is in iron plate with direct paint on it, and it is starting to rust.
Greetings

Hi AK members.
This post is a bit late, but let's go.
I have a Realistic Stereo 36, with 18WPC, manufactured in USA between 1958 and 1959.
With the help of Tom Bavis, we discovered that it was manufactured by Madison Fielding, the equivalent being stereo tube amp Madison Fielding 360A. When I got it, It had all original tubes. 5 12ax7 and 4 el84 amperex / Holland, 1 12au7 mullard and a Mullard rectifier tube. With the help of the AK members, I did a recapp on it, and adjust the Bias output.It's perfect now.
I will have a problem in the future because the front panel is in iron plate with direct paint on it, and it is starting to rust.
Greetings
That was the name I forgot! Madison Fielding! I have whats left of a mono 6v6 PP amp that was made by Madison Fielding and sold under various brands like RS. The one I have was branded "HiFi". It was a kit. But exactly like the RS and Madison.

These passed through here en route from their seller to their (ultimate) owner -- who himself is an AK member of some repute :). Absolutely gorgeous rehab job on both -- they sound pretty decent, too. PP 6V6 so about 10 watts (mono integrateds)

RSamps by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The SAF-40 runs its output tubes really hard -- I wouldn't recommend plain-vanilla EL84s in one (FWIW). 7189s or the beefy Soviet/Russian variant thereof (6П14П-ЕВ -- I think) will be OK. The latter, IMO, are pretty decent, not too hard to find and not terribly 'spensive, either.
There's one of those here, too -- but it actually belongs to AKer joZmo. :confused:

P1300002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Come to think of it, there's an SAF-24 here, too -- That's pp 6BM8 (or is it 6GW8... I forget!?!) for ca. 8 wpc. It's cosmetically none too pretty.

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
These passed through here en route from their seller to their (ultimate) owner -- who himself is an AK member of some repute :). Absolutely gorgeous rehab job on both -- they sound pretty decent, too. PP 6V6 so about 10 watts (mono integrateds)

RSamps by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The SAF-40 runs its output tubes really hard -- I wouldn't recommend plain-vanilla EL84s in one (FWIW). 7189s or the beefy Soviet/Russian variant thereof (6П14П-ЕВ -- I think) will be OK. The latter, IMO, are pretty decent, not too hard to find and not terribly 'spensive, either.
There's one of those here, too -- but it actually belongs to AKer joZmo. :confused:

P1300002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Come to think of it, there's an SAF-24 here, too -- That's pp 6BM8 (or is it 6GW8... I forget!?!) for ca. 8 wpc. It's cosmetically none too pretty.
Thanks for posting the picture. Those are just like the "HiFi" branded one I have. The one I have isn't so pretty, or complete anymore though. I was thinking of using the chassis for a stereo 6v6 SET amp if the PT is up to it.

Thanks.
Good pictures and posts
Is there any possibility of this Realistic SAF 24 be Made in Japan?
I will take some pictures of the realistic that I have, and I'll post it here.
Greetings

Thanks.
Good pictures and posts
Greetings
It is a definite possibility although i can't say for sure. If the amp is original, a dead give away is the use of Suzuki pio coupling caps or sometimes white sleeved Cherry? pio caps.

Thanks.
Good pictures and posts
Greetings
Yes, the SAF-24 series, I would bet, were all Japanese-made. They have that look to 'em (and those nasty grey coupling capacitors, too). Certainly the SAF-24C here was -- as was the aforementioned SAF-40. I believe the AF-12s were as well, not 100.0% sure, though.

Last edited:
Actually I didn't know Radio Shack existed back then. I can remember Lafayette, Allied, BA, and heard of Olsen - I think.

Actually I didn't know Radio Shack existed back then. I can remember Lafayette, Allied, BA, and heard of Olsen - I think.
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/history.html
Boston, 1921

Lafayette dates to 1921 as well, based on their having published a 50th Anniversary catalog in 1971 :)

Scan0025 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Allied started in 1928, per http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/
(can't vouch for that one myself, but I am willing to believe it)
Allied's first catalog, per www.alliedcatalogs.com
001.jpg

Really. A fantastic pair of mono amps ... wonderful.
Were they original or were they restored?
I ask it, because in the future I will did a restore in paint (serigraphy) on the front panel of a realistic stereo tube amp ... I am looking for alternatives to do it
Regards ...

Back
Top Bottom