Anyone heard from Jim Nicholls (JWM amplifiers) recently?

Waiting on a few tubes to arrive. Pretty sure it was a faulty inverter tube, although it could also be a rectifier. Don't own a tube tester. I had switched out a few tubes the day before. I played the amp after the episode with the interconnects for a few hours, and drove it pretty heavily, as I was also testing a few new tubes in my preamp. It sounded fine, but the following morning, when I encountered the trouble getting playback in the left channel, the only thing I could imagine having done wrong was turning the amp on without the interconnects hooked up. did not even think about the tubes.

Have not had a chance to test out the amp. Unfortunately, my little tempest in a teapot has left me bereft of a small spring-loaded fuse holder which keeps the safety fuse intact. It was located in the parking lot, only after someone had flattened it. I assume these little guys can be found among old stereos and/or on ebay. I already hit Jim up and am awaiting a reply, but if anyone has a line on where I might be able to find something of this sort plz let me know. thanks.

IT looks something like this, except mine was a beige color:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-3AG...-Replacement-Tube-Amp-Amplifier-/181340410387

Last edited:
Any recent news on JN? His work does look interesting, and I emailed him before I found this particular thread. I do hope things have improved on his end.

Last edited:
Now in my seventh month waiting for my Nichols amp.....already paid the money (perhaps a stupid move on my part...live and learn in audio)...

Anyone willing to PM his phone number to me I'd be most grateful!

Now in my seventh month waiting for my Nichols amp.....already paid the money (perhaps a stupid move on my part...live and learn in audio)...

Anyone willing to PM his phone number to me I'd be most grateful!

Read post #57 and #58 to get his phone number.

Check my recent posts in 'General Discussion'....Jim Nicholls amplifier caveat....[/QUOTE

JIM NICHOLS IS A VERY TALENTED INDIVIDUAL WHOSE AMPLIFIERS REFLECT HIS ARTISTRY AS AN AMPLIFIER BUILDER.

UNFORTUNATELY, SOMETHING CHANGED IN HIS LIFE THAT REMINDS ME OF A "Shakespearian Tragety"
IT BECAME IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM TO BE ALONE FOR EVEN A FEW HOURS OUT OF THE TIME IT TAKES TO BUILD ONE OF HIS FINE TUBE AMPLIFIERS. EACH TIME HE ATTEMPTED TO DO THE NECESSARY WORK ON HIS AMPLIFIERS, THE TIME THAT HE COULD SPEND ALONE BECAME SHORTER.
HE TRIED TO RELIEVE THE STRESS THAT HIS WORK SUBJECTED HIM TO BY SEEKING NEW WAYS TO STIMULATE HIMSELF SO HE COULD BUILD HIS AMPLIFIERS. EVENTUALY EVERYTHING FELL APART FOR JIM,
AS IT ALWAYS DOES FOR PEOPLE WHO SUCCUMB TO THIS ILLNESS.
I WON'T GO INTO DETAILS, BUT WE ALL KNOW THE UGLY STORY OF WHAT HAPPENS TO PEOPLE WHO MESS THEIR LIVES UP BY MAKING POOR DECISIONS WHEN THEY TRY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM WITH THE SOLUTION THAT JIM CHOSE.
YOU CAN FEEL SORRY FOR HIM IF YOU WANT TO, BUT DON'T EXPECT TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK OR THE AMP YOU WERE PROMISED ANYTIME SOON. EVERYTHING STORY HE CREATES TO HUMBE HIMSELF TO YOU, IS JUST ANOTER PLOY TO TRY TO GET MORE MONEY TO LIVE WITH AND IT WON'T GET YOU YOUR AMPLIFIER ANY SOONER, OR MAKE JIM FEEL MORALLY OBLIGATED TO RETURN THE MONEY YOU PAID TO HIM.
YOU ALL KNOW THE STORY AND HOW THIS PROBLEM WILL ROB EVERYTHING FROM EVERYONE BECAUSE IT IS SO DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN A SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME UNTIL THE AFFLICTED INDIVIDUAL 'HITS ROCK BOTTOM' AND MOST EVERYTHING WORTHWHILE ABOUT A ONCE DECENT HUMAN BEING HAS BEEN DESTROYED.
THIS IS A SAD STORY. A VERY SAD STORY.....

CRYO185

Back
Top Bottom