Anyone here ever re-belt a Realistic SCT-3000 cassette deck?

10seventy9

I'm trying to figure out how to get the capstan belts on without taking the entire transport apart, if that's even possible....

Some decks you do have to remove the whole transport it is little work and a little scary. take pictures so you can reassemble it.
Some decks you can remove the motor and back plate. I always change all the belts when I have one apart.
If you have questions. I can try to help.:thumbsup:

Man, that's nice to know help is available. I'm not a tape guy, but I have a nice Vector Research receiver that has a matching tape player, VCX-500.
I have only tried once to play on it, and it didn't turn the tape for but only a couple of minutes. I'll dig into it and maybe won't need help - but if i do, I'll hollar here! :)

Take out the entire mechanism (door escutcheon panel off first and leave the door ajar) in one piece (screws below and top panel). The umbilicals are long enough (you may have to untie them), place the mech on a folded towel in the chassis facing down and you can then remove the motor bracket. There are takeup belts too IIRC.

The deck is a Hitachi customed for Radio Shack. I'd be looking at HiFi engine on their 8/9 series Hitachi decks and you may find a S/M for the same mech.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the capstan belts on without taking the entire transport apart, if that's even possible....

How'd you makeout? I just bought the same model and the capstan belt (belts?) have rendered into goo. I'm also curious where you sourced belts, I've found them hard to find.

Still have the SCT-3000 and I did re-belt it but the felt lined “plates” in the clutch for auto stop was an issue. It was intended that the assembly be replaced if defective, it was never meant to be repaired.

I did repair it and the deck was a stellar (really) performer. A Realistic branded Hitachi Lo-D.

Problem later after not using the deck for more than a year, transport problems manifested again.

It has a sticker from a repair shop, so it was repaired and serviced at some point in its life. All the belts are in great shape besides the capstan belt. I only paid $10 for the unit so I can't complain.

I paid $25 for mine but it was hell of a lot of work If I remember right, to get the belts installed and then deal with that clutch. Might not be exaggerating too much to say that I had the transport out 10 times doing trial & error repair. But like I say, it is a super sounding deck. Possibly the best one I've heard. I wish mine worked as well as it did when was done with repair, it might not have atrophied again, but it did not drag me back into recording tapes which is mostly what I did with cassettes. Mostly for the car and for other people but I listened to few when at home.

I'm glad it's a good preformer, realistic tape decks can be real hit and miss. I bought it mainly on looks, it matches a Sherwood s-7250 I have perfectly. Once I get my relistic lab-500 working I'll have a solid secondary setup on my hands. I have an akai gx-f90 on my main (and currently only) system, I love the thing... nothing beats those gx heads.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom