Anyone here into old Carver stuff?

FYI:

I've pounded the HELL out of my Carver AL-IIIs in bi-amped configuration with a Sunfire 400x7 for almost 3 years now with nary a hiccup.

I even used it during CF '07 to put a pretty good hurtin' on not ONE, not TWO, but THREE sets of Carver Amazings simultaneously all driven off two channels (one right, one left). What ohm load do you think THIS presented in parallel??

P1010184.JPG

I'm not sure how much more punishment you could GIVE an amp; what a testament to bulletproof design~

The best part? It didn't even get WARM~

*edit*--I just realized what an ugly wiring job we did there.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, TNRabbit, that is awesome.
What a spread, what a view.
I want it!
Damn.
How cool is that?
Wow.

Awesome.

John.

I like some of the older Carver equipment mainly the Phase Linear days. Many of the items in the rack I think were Carver designs and also a pair of Carver designed Phase Linear III speakers

KENNYSPICS959.jpg

Two panels Left and Right channel and a Bass Commode with two 12 inch bass drivers.

KENNYSPICS962-1.jpg

nice setup Ken

That's the size rack I'm looking for to pack all my goods into. Nothing beats it and I certainly like the looks of yer setup! WTG

I had some of the PL stuff back in the 70's, I kept the Phase Linear III speakers (as in the pic above), great speakers. I now have a Carver C15 pre-amp and a TFM25 power amp, they work well (except for the meter lights on the power amp, a common fault in these amps, I'm told). I like Bob's ideas and designs, I think he has given us some very interesting stuff over the years. Now I need a Sunfire for a home theater set up. - dan

I snagged a C-1 preamp a while back and have it in place as a turntable pre for my HK AVR receiver (which didn't have a TT input) down in my HT room.
It sounds great and I figure its a great standby piece if I ever need a good frontend for a discrete system.
I also got a Carver 6250 Receiver off the local CL last spring when my Yamaha 1040 went out -
and was amazed at the great sound of the Carver receiver feeding the JBL L200+ 3ways!
Lots of power, good bass and everything seems to sound great through it - even a Mac mini music server!
attachment.php

Attachments

• G4-frontRow-Carver_3399.jpg
    G4-frontRow-Carver_3399.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I bought the TFM-6CB amp in '90 or so to run a CD player only set-up. It was the best I could afford at the time. Since then it has been used daily in different rolls including TV audio and Video Game audio.

Just got it back from my tech from it's first check-up. He said he couldn't even clean the inside as it was spotless and still working flawlessly.

Guess I got my monies worth.

I like the Carver designed speakers. Really interesting, and very different from other more efficient speakers that I'm partial to - JBLs, Klipsch.

I also got a carver receiver off the local CL last spring when my Yamaha 1040 went out -
and was amazed at the great sound of the Carver receiver feeding the JBL L200+ 3ways!
Lots of power, good bass and everything seems to sound great through it - even a Mac mini music server!

I really liked the Carver receivers I've had. I think they are in a different class than receivers, they perform more like separates than receivers.

For jimmy neutron:

DSC02574.jpg

I know; I screwed the pooch when I set my sweaty arm on the signature last December.....DOH!

Not sure how old is old, but I just picked up some Carver AL III Plus speakers. Now I just have to find some gear to run them with! A local CL add listed the Carvers, an HK receiver, Infinity powered sub, and Kenwood cd player for $50.00. How could I say no.

Sounds like a cool score! As soon as you get a chance to listen to them, we'll need a report. And pictures.... :)

Thanks. SUPER incredible! I'd sort of assumed the speakers were not ridiculously out-of-scale with the other gear. Little did I know....

I've a Phase Linear Parametric EQ that I'm going to have to part with, but I'm not sure if Bob had a hand in that or not, he may have been gone.

I have owned many Carver receivers/amps. I have a NOS Carver AVR 100, I purchased a few years back. I could not believe it...

I wish the myth of them overheating, not being able to drive hard loads etc would grow and everyone would believe that - then I could start snatching them all up.
I am a huge fan of the TFM series. Thinking about selling my Spec 2 and buying 2 of those.

Back
Top Bottom