Anyone here use a vinyl buddy? (Silicone roller)

I bought one after reading about it here and it came today, did a great job of cleaning off dust from a new LP that also came today, so far so good :thumbsup:

I don't really need a lint roller for my records but have been wanting to get one for my platters. This way I can clean then before putting clean records on them.

I don't really need a lint roller for my records but have been wanting to get one for my platters. This way I can clean then before putting clean records on them.

I think that's a better way to use it. I've argued against this product until I was blue in the face, but my opponents couldn't grasp my point.

I don't think you understood my question. Or I don't understand what this thread is about - thought it was about the Vinyl Buddy?

The onzow zero dust is a stylus cleaner that operates essentially on the same concept as a vinyl buddy, eg a sticky material that you lower your stylus onto to remove dust and whatnot. I wouldn't use a vinyl buddy on your stylus, but those onzow zerodusts are magic. Actually the reason that I was curious about trying the vinyl buddy for my records was because the onzow zerodust worked so well at cleaning my stylus.

Good to know Aladdin, a seal of approval. The best brush I've ever had was an ancient UK product, Parastat. It was a million white fibers, I don't know of what material, an inch long and stiff enough to reach deep but not damage — and every bristle is sharpened to a point. Each one is like a stylus, reaching to the bottom. And like a stylus, you can hear them — they "play" every groove simultaneously, and audibly. I've had it 25 years, it lasts — and I found another, NIB, on a recent trip to Cape Town. If you run across it, give it a spin...

BTW, is your name Aladdin-sane, or Aladd-insane?

That sounds interesting! I've never heard of anything like that. I'm pretty happy with my roller for now but I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I ever come across one of those.

As for my name, I'll let you decide...

Let us know.

FWIW, I use mine after all my other brushes, only for the micro-dust they leave behind. I worry that, if there's something big or hard or abrasive on the LP, the roller might grind it in.

Any updates?

I got one of these Vinyl Buddies a few weeks back and I've been using it. It definitely removes dust from records. I can't say for sure how well it removes dust from deep in the grooves. I have generally been using the Vinyl Buddy forst on dusty records, then follow that with a couple rotations with a carbon fiber brush. I would say if it generates any static, I haven't noticed it. I believe the Vinyl buddy generates less static thatn the brush does.

Checked this out on amazon and there are now several vendors with what appears to be the identical product save the color. Record-Happy(white), Acrux7(blue), Record Rescue(red) and Vinyl Buddy(blue). All are just shy of $15 but the Acrux7 at $12.99.

Ok I ordered one today since it was so cheap. Any pop or static cause me to turn off any record so I am interested.

I bought a Vinyl Buddy about 6 months ago and it does what the advertising says it will do. For the price it will be tough to beat.

I got the Vinyl Buddy over the others as it was next day free shipping at Amazon. Ordered the Onzow ZeroDust stylus cleaner at the same time. The Vinyl Buddy is sticky.......really sticky.

This sounds like good news. I always found the Nagaoka devices intriguing but was never willing to spend that kind of money.

It doesn't figure to replace my Nitty Gritty but I could see it replacing my Carbon Fiber brush.

I could also see using one to get the worst of the surface crap off of a used record before running it through the NG. Lots of uses. For that price? I'm getting one.

I'm going to have to give one of these a try. My place is so dusty that I can clean a record and by the time I walk it over to my TT it's already got specs on it.

Interesting....

I saw a lint roller back in the eighties that looked just like that. It did well on records removing dust, but created a huge static charge. I think I will keep watching the progress of this thread.....:lurk:

So please do tell what you find out !!!!!

Just got one.....nice sticky pliable surface !!
I found the same thing with my roller. On my old Thorens, in the Winter, whenever I would take a record off the platter, there was a huge crack of static. Usually going through me on the way ! Now, I use the record Doctor Machine first then simply use a carbon fiber brush to finish it.
I also tried to neutralize it using Discwasher Zerostat, but that did nothing. I think it was a counterfeit. $90 down the drain.

I'm satisfied with mine. Besides records I used it on the underside of my dust cover. No static at all. I also seem to have a dusty home and would recommend The Buddy to anyone.

I found the same thing with my roller. On my old Thorens, in the Winter, whenever I would take a record off the platter, there was a huge crack of static. Usually going through me on the way ! Now, I use the record Doctor Machine first then simply use a carbon fiber brush to finish it.
I also tried to neutralize it using Discwasher Zerostat, but that did nothing. I think it was a counterfeit. $90 down the drain.

I've had a Zerostat (White one) since they were first introduced. IME if you squeeze the trigger and hear clicks you're squeezing the trigger too fast.

I've had a Zerostat (White one) since they were first introduced. IME if you squeeze the trigger and hear clicks you're squeezing the trigger too fast.
This thing just didn't feel right. The trigger was bent I think internally, so it would never return to its resting position. I always had to push it back using the back of my fingers. The test light worked but never very brightly. Is that the way it should work?

Back
Top Bottom