Anyone here use high powered Audio Research tube amps?

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
Just to get some opinions...I definitely know now that I need more power...and I see quite a bunch of Audio Research tube amps that give me 100 watts plus /ch.

I also have been eyeing some Aronov 9100's....and VTL's...But I need a pair that will control the bass.

The one set of VTL I heard I didn't care much for. AR has some sweet sounding amps but no way in hell id pop that kind of bread. Conrad Johnson is another you could investigate.

well, dont forget i only shop for used...although AR is still pricey used..Conrad JOhnson's I dont care for that much,,,my LP collector friend has CJ and i just think they mellow out too much/

The CJ I have been using for the last 4-5 weeks is far from mellow but we all have different ears :)

The Audio Research tube stuff is decidedly UN-mellow. Some folks say that it doesn't sound like tubes. Haven't heard a big ARC amplifier in a long time but I recall I liked what I heard. But I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now...

hey tubino...I got a hold of some Platinum Audio Session 1's...which are power hungry like the solo's....But even the Odyssey Loreleis, which are more efficient, benefited from the extra power..

There is a Pair of Aronov 9100 @ AudioGon NOW .

The asking is $1,800. No Mods or updates noted with the listing.

Good Hunting,
pc

Some speakers sound best with SS. Put a good sand amp on those things and see how they sound. Anything that needs 100 watts to get up to steam just wasn't made for tubes and the last time I listened to an AR amp it was hooked to some Lynns that had powered woofers, all those 6550s were just driving the mids and tweets.
Kinda the wrong time of year to put a weinie roaster in your living rooom anyway.
If you still have those mono blocks you got from Russ and they won't do the job, getting another 3 db by doubling the power will probably not fix your problem. If they are bi ampable then putt SS on the woofs because lows is lows and woofs need more power. Keep your tubes where you can hear why you have them.

Thatch_Ear said:
Some speakers sound best with SS.
If you still have those mono blocks you got from Russ and they won't do the job, getting another 3 db by doubling the power will probably not fix your problem.
Seconded. Can you just BORROW some gear to figure out what works? An honest 100 watts of tube power comes at SOME cost (weight, size, heat, maybe sonic compromise) besides the dollar amount to purchase it...

I'm with Thatch here, some speakers just aren't made for tubes and if you need big watts - like over the 70 or so you can get out of a pair of 6550's – that’s probably SS territory.

I remember the showroom at the store where I bought a bunch of my gear back in the 80's, loaded with huge tube monoblocks that put out >100w, they all weighed hundreds of pounds and put out more heat than a contractor's salamander propane heater. Some of them where AR, CJ, VTL, Lumley, Jadis and all where trying to throw massive amounts of glass, iron and $$$ at getting tubes to work with speakers designed for solid-state. I remember asking to shop owner WTF, why do all this when you can just start with speakers that work with simple tube circuits in the first place? He just smiled and said “this is hi-end son; it’s more about money, magazine reviews and status than common sense”.

I STILL don’t understand why people choose this mismatched speaker route. It seems so simple, start with speakers that work with tubes if you want to use tubes and if you start with the real hi-efficiency stuff, all the better, you can dabble with low power SET. Sure, some may not like SET but don’t you think it would be nice to have that whole avenue of discovery open to you so you can decide for yourself?

Billfort said:
I STILL don’t understand why people choose this mismatched speaker route. It seems so simple, start with speakers that work with tubes if you want to use tubes and if you start with the real hi-efficiency stuff, all the better, you can dabble with low power SET.
Yes yes yes. Just adding a footnote that it's not just the efficiency -- it's the nature of the load too. My Harmonic Precision Echelons are only 90 or 91 db (just so-so efficiency) but never drop below 7.5 ohms over the frequency range, so work surprisingly well with a wide range of little tube amps. It was sheer luck on my part -- I didn't know a 6550 from a 6BQ5 when I bought the speakers.

For decades now, the vast majority speakers have been designed around solid state amplification. Some of them will work well with tubes despite that, but the odds are not in your favor if you leave it to chance. I'm not directing that at anyone in particular, just an observation.

I think that there are a lot of speakers out there that are using multiple small drivers but have something horn loaded to boost the SPLs for measuring. You start tossing zoebals and complicated crossovers that eat power on top of a probably low impedence when they get to rocking and tubes just don't like it. Often the only way to get a small driver to sound big is to throw a lot of watts at it, especially after all those resisters and chokes are added to smooth out the peaks and valleys that happen when you make something react in ways it won't do on it's own.

Thanks for the opinions....I agree with all of them....Well, if I want to use the Berning, I can always hook the Ev12trxb's, and when I wanna rock out loud, I can use the Platinum's....

I am just happy that I had found such greatness for less than 400 bucks..

Most of you have much better disciplined views of this stuff...I jump around like a mexican jumping bean.

WhiteSE said:
Most of you have much better disciplined views of this stuff...I jump around like a mexican jumping bean.
I was the jumping bean for years on amplifiers -- I don't do that much anymore. I found what I like.

Then I started jumping on speakers, but in a much more directed way -- and I found what I like. Now I have 2 pairs of Tannoys Sys 15 DMT IIs, 2 pairs of smaller Tannoy dual concentric speakers, and Jensen Imperials with 15" Tannoy DC drivers. I'm selling pretty much all the other speakers I own -- though I might keep the Electrovoice Georgian 400s for my office.

The problem I have is that I like almost everything...my main problem though is that I still find it fun to look and switch gear around..

speakerwise, I find that I love the Platinum's and the Loreleis, but they are on opposite sides of the presentation spectrum...I am eyeing to find something in that middle ground...

That is where I think the DMT 15's come in.....They have that monitor signature, but with the paper cone...now i have metal dome-aluminum midbass in one speaker, doped paper and soft dome in the other..

Back
Top Bottom