Anyone in Arizona looking for a good deal on HPM-100s?

Mmmmm...A triple stack :scratch2:

My grandkids live almost next door. A good reason to take a trip. If no one bites at the entry bid, I'll have to go get them. :thmbsp:

Rich P

Woohoo! Another HPM-100 vict--ahem--owner! :D :D :D

You'll love these guys...give 'em a good stout amp and stand back!

TP

Retro Stereo said:
Hey Rich,
I see you won these for $125!!! Helluva deal man! Let us know how everything turns out.
Retro

Went to pick up in person. Whoah! Glad I did! Here's the list:

Only damage was supposed to be some 'minor' scuffs on the veneer and the mid and tweeter drivers on one speaker with the dust caps pushed in. Here is what was the actual condition:

Speaker 1:
- Veneer damage not minor, even peeling off of the bottom front, and scuffed almost completely off on the bottom.
- Pearlescent fingernail polish smeared all over the bottom half of the right side.
- Mid driver cone bent/collapsed from having been pressed in against the voice coil (due to carrying method?)
- Tweeter driver dust cap crushed in (not just pushed in)
- Crossover panel trashed (speaker connecters broken off, and wires hanging out to twist speaker wire onto)
- Woofer dust cap had been pushed and pulled out with commensurate rippling
- Grill cloth trashed (stained and badly pulled by yee old housecat)
- Grill frame corners broken and exposed (colored by sharpie, nice eh?)

Speaker 2:
- Veneer damage not minor, and scuffed almost completely off on the bottom
- Both mid and tweet drivers dust caps crushed beyond any hope of repair
- Woofer cone drawn upon in concentric circles by a black sharpie
- Grill cloth trashed (stained and badly pulled by yee old housecat)
- All grill mounting posts broken off (grill held on by 2 pieces of velcro at top)
- Grill badge missing

Seller was willing to reduce the price to $75 (from $125). I accepted.

I was able to clean the fingernail polish off of veneer, and most of the sharpie from the other woofer. Units both actually sound pretty good (quite a testament to the HPM-100 design).

Just so happens, I found an eBay seller for some clean woofers (i'm not buying the woofers). Here's what he offered me (all stated to be in excellent shape):

(2) Pioneer HPM100 Tweeters: $30
(2) Pioneer HPM100 Midranges: $55
(1) Pioneer HPM100 Crossover: $20
(2) Pioneer HPM100 Grills: $35

Total minus shipping: $140.00

Shipping: $35.00 (Actual shipping came out to about $45) - UPS.com

Grand Total: $175.00

My total investment in these babies, so far: $250. Another $100 for veneer, by the Klipsch veneer maven, and a super sweet set of HPMs for $350. Not too bad, but alot of work. Far cry from the originally expected $125 plus gas, but I'll get over it after a few hours of audio bliss.

I still need a grill badge, if anybody has an extra, name yur price.

All that should be left is a good veneering (intended to do that anyway). I may have the world's only triple-stack of red oak HPM-100s. If some can have clear acrylic HPM-100s, I can have read oak ones. Need a round quad-stack for good impedence and phasing. Lookin for a 4th set, now.

I shall have some extra tweeters and midranges, with damaged dust caps, for sombody that may need to replace drivers with damaged cones. Yours for the price of shipping and a bit of donation to AK.

Updates to come, when available...

Rich P

Back
Top Bottom