Anyone in Holland, Michigan, area?

Discussion in 'Regional Clubs' started by mal0422, Feb 12, 2017.

1. mal0422

mal0422 New Member

Wondering if there's a local AudioKarma group here, in the Holland area?

2. wyceeric

wyceeric Listener sponsored, volunteer powered radio. Subscriber

Howdy, nothing formal as such. A few of us have kicked around the idea. For example, member craigtone is from Holland, and though I haven't seen him on here in a while, I'll be seeing him on Sunday in person and could bring it up. Don't know any other members in the area personally, though there are probably many. The dudes from Wayback Audio were looking into something like a West Michigan Audio Club, but I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

In order to get something off the ground, I would try to align as many of the following resources as possible, and any more you can think of. Even if all it consisted of was asking to put up a flyer in their stores for a group you were putting together, they'd probably be cool with it. Keep in mind the following is Grand Rapids centric, as I really don't know much about the lakeshore situation, and there may be more of which I am unaware in GR.

audio retailers:
    -Wayback Audio, Bob n' Tom
    -Misfitz Audio, Bryan n' Brian
    -Northwoods Audio, Ron

I know all of the above, and they are all good people, in a laid-back, 'small business people providing great service' kind of way.

also:
    -Classic Stereo/Bekins, Jim

Not as familiar, seem like good folks but definitely more of a corporate feel.

music retailers:
    -The Corner Record Shop, Steve
    -Vertigo Records, Herm
    -Dodds Records, Charles
    -Shuler Books & Music
    -other bookstores too, maybe?

I know Steve pretty well- really good guy. Have met Herm a few times, seems pretty cool but don't know him well. Have never met Charles.

musical instrument/supplies retailers:
    -probably a bunch of these, I'd also not neglect band/orchestra retailers, you just never know...

PSA's on non-commercial radio stations:
    -WYCE (I volunteer here, see avatar)
    -WGVU
    -Blue Lake
    -Michigan Radio
    -others?

These will be free, just contact the community relations person. Non-comms have the advantage that real music fans mostly don't listen to commercial radio stations. Because they suck ass.

Anyway, that's about all I've got. I know that CRS also has Holland and Grand Haven locations and Bekins is headquartered in Grand Haven, but don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe if a few of us hard core music nerds join forces to divide and conquer we can get somewhere.

Hey, just thought of West Michigan Blues society, Grand River Folk Arts Society, music venues like Seven Steps Up that are more of a 'listening room' environment. There must be a ton of things I'm missing, all that was off the top of my head.

If you want to make it happen, let me know what I can do to help.

3. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Fair warning ... if a group were to be formed, I might be tempted to show up ...

Hey - where'd everybody go?? ;-}

4. wyceeric

wyceeric Listener sponsored, volunteer powered radio. Subscriber

While apparently not the most popular of positions, I for one would be pleased to make your acquaintance.

5. K2SA

K2SA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Located in Muskegon, may also be tempted to show up.

6. SJH

SJH AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm in !!!

7. RanDibble

RanDibble New Member

I'm a bit south of ya, near the Lake. I often visit nearby with Grandchildren in Zeeland.

I'd show my face !