Anyone know about a Lafayette LR-800 receiver?

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
Hey, somebody donated a non-working Lafayette LR800 tube receiver to the shop yesterday!

Looks like 7189 outputs in PP, about 20w/ch, AFAIK. Anyone tinkered with one of these or have any documentation for them? Looks like very good iron and it's all there, just need to sort out probable resistor/cap/bad tube problems...

Regards,
Gordon.

Looks like a Kenwood of similar vintage. Schematic is on my web page. Mine is in one of my basement systems. FM stereo is pretty weak and distorted, so it's serving as an amp only right now.

$25 at a hamfest, $40 for a set of Russian 7189s.

My Audio Page

Man, this sucker looks to have been like the guy bringing a knife to a gun fight! 9 bad tubes (1- 7189, 4- 6AV6s, 2- 6AN8s, a bad 6BA6 and a bad 6AU6 ), and probably more than that, since one of the 7189s glows red like a nuclear meltdown (definite bias problems or shorted cap/resistor/etc with THAT socket, no doubt)!

Good thing is, I managed to find all the 6AV6s and 6AU6s already, in my stash of stuff. 7189s shouldn't be a bad deal either (can use EL84Ms- the Soviet military version, which can handle higher voltages- most likely, if nothing else). Now, if only I can find some 6AN8s (which has a pinout UNLIKE ANY OTHER pentode/triode combo tube, apparently!) and a 6BA6...

Regards,
Gordon.

I've got 'em - 6BA6 for $3, 6AN8 for $4 each, used for half that. $1.50 would cover first class mail. The 6AN8s tested marginal in mine but new ones didn't sound any different (nor did voltages change...) so they aren't being pushed very hard, I guess.

Since the 7189s are all biased together, a matched quad is required. Two matched pairs should be OK, if they're not TOO far apart. I put in 10 Ohm cathode resistors to measure catode current.

I was thinking, I'd definitely need to replace the pair of 7189s, on the side with the bad one. However, I may try it, just with an odd replacement 7189, just to get it up and testable. As I mentioned, I can go back with a new quad of Ruby Tubes/Sovtek EL84MR's (the military version, higher voltage capacity) later, I guess... just need something to make it make sound for a few minutes at the time, just now.

Tom, thanks for the offer of the 6AN8s and such. I think I've got it handled, but if that falls though, I'll be PM'ing ya, to do some buying and/or horse-trading...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom