Anyone know anything about Kenwood KL-7090 speakers?

ToTo Man

NEVER ENOUGH TOTO!
I bought one set of these 2 years ago off ebay going purely on looks. I had no idea what they sounded like, but the gorgeous wood veneer (which is even on the inside when you remove the grill) and the impressive array of speakers inside made my jaw drop, - I had to have 'em! :naughty:

Turned out they sounded DAMN GOOD. I don't care what the Kabuki haters say, but this particular model is NOT Kabuki. The dynamic range and subtlety you get from them is amazing, - it's the closest thing I've heard to a reference speaker yet! Anyway, Kabuki Kenwoods did not come out until after this model, - you can tell by the quality of the materials used and in no way are these babies Kabuki! :no:

Anyway, one thing led to another, and at the moment, I'm sitting with FOUR PAIRS! I've even got the original instruction manual. :yes:

I was wondering if any of you guys had some knowledge to share on these speakers? Obviously, due to having the manual I know all the technical stuff, but I desperately want to find out what the original RRP was back when they came out in 1973. Please help....... :worried:

PS - I've attached a photo so that you can drool over them!...... :smoke:

Vintage Gear:
Marantz SR-6000DC Receiver - NICE!
Marantz SR-6000G Receiver
Akai AA-1135 Receiver
Akai AA-1150 Receiver
Technics SU-V9 Class A Amplifier
Technics SH-6065 Graphic EQ - NICE!
Technics SH-8055 Graphic EQ - NICE!
Technics 630T Cassette Deck
Technics SL-PG460A CD Player
Denon DP-45F Turntable
Kenwood KL-7090 Speakers (4 pairs) - VERY NICE!
Goodmans Magnum SL Speakers
Goodmans Havant Speakers
B&W 602 s2 Speakers

Cinema Gear:
Marantz SR7300 5.1 Digital Receiver
Wharfedale Valdus 500, Valdus 400, Valdus 100 Speakers etc....

I'm only 19 and am still learning..... I'm tempted to purchase a tube amp next because I want to go a step further with sound but know too little about them and probably couldn't afford one!

So, do you know much about Kenwood Speakers?

Don't know too much about Kenwood speakers, but I've never really been impressed by them. I'm more into their amps/tuners. For being a Kenwood Lover (as your name suggests), you don't seem to have much Kenwood gear.

Can't seem to find much Kenwood gear over here in the UK thats the problem. i had 3 pairs of the speakers imported from germany. i was tempted to buy a kenwood receiver but i dont know what they sound like so am hesitant to take the risk and expense of importing one. i'm keen on hearing what a tube amp sounds like. do you prefer tube or transistor?

I think they are the epitome of Kabuki. It's the driver complement and outrageous woofer that makes it so.

That they sound good is the bonus.

Have any pictures of the drivers' backsides? Are they all connected?

Yeah I tested each set with a frequency generator and all cones work great. The super tweeter, you'd think, would put out a harsh high pitch sound that would emphasise all those crashing cymbals, but it has quite the opposite effect in fact. It somehow reduces all harshness and makes the upper frequencies blend seamlessly together. I have attached a pic of a recent ebay auction for a set of KL-888. Personally, I wouldn't touch them as they look cheap and industrial with those horrid silver dust caps. Do you not agree that the KL-7090 look to be of better quality than the other KL models?

Well, I keep forgetting to write down my pair of Kennies' model number, but they're of older Kenwood vintage also, and they sound great. They're a 3 way system, 12" woofer, with a mid and tweeter control on the face. Very very nice, hefty cabinets with a lighter veneer, like a birch or maple, on the face. I would guessitimate them hailing from about 1976-78, no newer than that. 'S the only Kennie stuff I have, presently.

Back
Top Bottom