Anyone know anything about sewing machines?

I think it's pretty much like anything any more Denny... people just aren't taught the basics because any more everyone pays someone else to do it for them.. easier to call a plumber, drive to the taylor, or hire a mechanic.. I think too many basic courses have been cut from the schools.. no more home ec, no more autoshop or wood shop.... too dangerous, (too much litigation) and too expensive..

Simi that looks like my moms industrial machine. I haven't seen it in a while but remember it looking very similar. And I'm sure the motor has to be at least a 3/4 horse or better.

It's kind of funny because all you guys talk about your wives knowing how to sew. I must be too young because I think I have done more sewing than all of the girls I have met combined. It seems like they don't even want to learn how to sew. Wtf is up with that?

Hell, I know how to knit, and that is the reason I don't fly anymore.:thmbsp:

I think it's pretty much like anything any more Denny... people just aren't taught the basics because any more everyone pays someone else to do it for them.. easier to call a plumber, drive to the taylor, or hire a mechanic.. I think too many basic courses have been cut from the schools.. no more home ec, no more autoshop or wood shop.... too dangerous, (too much litigation) and too expensive..

Sad but true, looks like our nation has lost its soul to the gimmie crowd.:thumbsdn:

Last edited:
Problem is I don't think they would take classes even if they were available. I remember taking extra classes on a bunch of different things. Although I was known for being artsy fartsy and didn't mind learning how to do stuff like that. Call me what you want but I know how to weld, paint, rebuild engines, etc, etc. No big deal to learn or know how to sew.

EDIT: Sorry for the off topic. Back to the sewing machines! :D

Problem is I don't think they would take classes even if they were available. I remember taking extra classes on a bunch of different things. Although I was known for being artsy fartsy and didn't mind learning how to do stuff like that. Call me what you want but I know how to weld, paint, rebuild engines, etc, etc. No big deal to learn or know how to sew.

I know a few Marines who were glad my momma taught me how to sew.:thmbsp:

Very manly thing to know in my book when the sh-t hits the fan. Or you are to broke to go to the doc and need some help from a friend and bleeding like a stuck pig from a scalp or simple flesh wound, no arteries or tendons involved. Done that for more then one friend of mine. :yes:

LOL.. same here.. I took home ec, and can sew a mean costume, along with upholstery, I worked as a welder in the oil fields in TX for a while, and also in a bronze foundry, and I can put up a wall and paint it any color you want, and then rebuild the engine and hydraulics in the bulldozer to take it down with...

LOL.. same here.. I took home ec, and can sew a mean costume, along with upholstery, I worked as a welder in the oil fields in TX for a while, and also in a bronze foundry, and I can put up a wall and paint it any color you want, and then rebuild the engine and hydraulics in the bulldozer to take it down with...

OT a bit... I was one of only 2 girls in HS who took shop classes. I have my own tools and they aren't pink :)

I can do just about anything in the lines of construction and once built a house from the ground up with my ex. I was the GC and handled everything. I am greatful for everything he taught me. I am definitely self sufficient...

... well almost ;)

I know a few Marines who were glad my momma taught me how to sew.:thmbsp:

Very manly thing to know in my book when the sh-t hits the fan. Or you are to broke to go to the doc and need some help from a friend and bleeding like a stuck pig from a scalp or simple flesh wound, no arteries or tendons involved. Done that for more then one friend of mine. :yes:

I just saw this thread and I agree that anyone that gets out in the world needs to know how to stitch. I don't know much about sewing machines but I do know I wouldn't go in the bush without knowing one end of a needle from the other. Nor would I want to travel into the wilderness with someone who acted like that wasn't something they needed to know. I've done quite a few gear repairs on sad sacks I met while hiking and were sitting there wishing their cell phone would work so they could call for help.

BTW I've wanted a sewing machine for a while but for what I need they seemed overly complex. Thanks to you guys I think I'll see if that old black machine from the early 60's my mom once owned is still around. My luck, it was thrown away.:tears:

Yes! I love my treadles-all eleven of them. Even have several electrics, but mainly, the people-powered-old-lady-noise-makers melt my heart. they date from 1850-1950. All fully operational. Below are several photos of a quilt in progress. I cut out shapes of floral patterns, animals, or an usual fabric, and then sew it onto the quilt blocks. Some of my machines in transit to new location.

Attachments

• 9BC592B3-9021-46CF-AF74-C8B260E4D19D.jpeg
    9BC592B3-9021-46CF-AF74-C8B260E4D19D.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 0C170778-D870-494D-ABE3-21CDB56C1278.jpeg
    0C170778-D870-494D-ABE3-21CDB56C1278.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2D2D5573-E456-49E0-938F-C1C2CCF62357.jpeg
    2D2D5573-E456-49E0-938F-C1C2CCF62357.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 13
  • AEBD4C47-3492-43CD-8B8D-5466CCD1838B.jpeg
    AEBD4C47-3492-43CD-8B8D-5466CCD1838B.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 14
  • A6A370CD-A786-45D0-8947-00DDBAE8CC2C.jpeg
    A6A370CD-A786-45D0-8947-00DDBAE8CC2C.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 1FCA4BDC-252F-41DF-9DC5-C096D60054AE.jpeg
    1FCA4BDC-252F-41DF-9DC5-C096D60054AE.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 14
  • BCE00528-2ACE-458B-8D12-F8B538146F49.jpeg
    BCE00528-2ACE-458B-8D12-F8B538146F49.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 3AE3FCE3-3D6D-45F4-AB54-47244287062D.jpeg
    3AE3FCE3-3D6D-45F4-AB54-47244287062D.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
I bought a old old sewing machine in vancouver. It was old but never used.
It was a ( it is ) a European model that I guess was a wedding present given just before the move.
Literally a 50 year old new machine.
Just rusty.
Sewing depends on what you want to do.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
You should just ask her what she wants.

Back
Top Bottom