Anyone know anything about watches?

Another thing to keep in mind - most jewelers and/or clock and watch repair persons will mark items that they have worked on. In some circles, it will greatly diminish the value. I have an Elgin pocket watch in a gold Keystone case that was given to my great grandmother on Christmas day, 1887. It was in need of repair, so I took it to our favorite jeweler to have it repaired. Years later I had someone look at it to get an idea of value, and he spotted the jeweler's mark and said it would be worth more if he hadn't done that.

Just something to keep in mind.

Another thing to keep in mind - most jewelers and/or clock and watch repair persons will mark items that they have worked on. In some circles, it will greatly diminish the value. I have an Elgin pocket watch in a gold Keystone case that was given to my great grandmother on Christmas day, 1887. It was in need of repair, so I took it to our favorite jeweler to have it repaired. Years later I had someone look at it to get an idea of value, and he spotted the jeweler's mark and said it would be worth more if he hadn't done that.

That is customary, and part of the historical record of the item.

Would that not increase the value if the jeweler was famous or became so?Id imagin theres rock stars in the watch fixing business.

My Datejust won't be getting another overhaul on my nickel, I may just eventually sell or trade it off.

Markings are usually placed in the case back - and that is part of the historical record of the watch. A vintage watch, with no case markings, probably means it's never been serviced.

Before that, (early 1800's) jewellers would use case papers to track the servicing of the watch.

Now if the jeweller is scratching up the movement - that's a no-no.

My case has no marks. The movement has never been maintained and I have to say, that if after 50 years, it was still keeping perfect time (just not for more than 24 hours of reserve) it's a pretty good watch. In contrast, the cheap Chinese movements in the $40 automatic watches (some look amazingly nice) usually break on me after a couple of years.

I like watches, but I'm a cheap bastard and this is a tough decision. And yes, it's silly to wring hands about final value if I'm keeping the watch, but as I said before, I'm a cheap bastard. :)

I refused the repair. It's too much. I will find a local authorized repair shop to clean and lubricate and then if 10 years from now they are worth something I'll try again.

Back
Top Bottom