Anyone know how to open a Linksys router??

slow_jazz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
We have a Linksys SR2024 24 port router at work and the fan is going out. Unfortunatley Linksys only warranties the fan for 1 year.

I don't see how these things open up?? Any ideas out there?? I don't see any screws anywhere!!

Any help would be appreciated,
Greg

If it has rubber feet see if they come off, an old trick hiding the screws under the feet so that the user can't open them up.

If it has rubber feet see if they come off, an old trick hiding the screws under the feet so that the user can't open them up.
yes unless the model is not designed to be opened ala ipod if you remove the rubber plugs in the feet you should see some small screws.
tal

Slowly back over it with a sport utility vehicle until you hear three cracking noises, no more.. no less.

I checked for the rubber feet but this is a rack mount router.

Would it work with no fan?? Maybe drill some extra holes in it??

"On the back where the ports are you have to remove the plastic bezel. There are two metal tabs holding it in on either side. I used a small flathead to pry it out enough to pull the plastic bezel out one side at a time. Next remove the plastic cover off the front. I used the little plastic prying tools I use to take apart laptops, but a screwdriver would probably work here too. Just press down on the metal casing enough to let the cover move forward. Do this on the top and the bottom and it will slide off easily. Next take the top and slide it off. If you look on the sides you can see how the top and bottom interlock. Finally remove the screws and you now can work on the circuit board."

http://messmore.wordpress.com/

Following OvenMaster's instructions, I managed to get mine apart. Took a bit of doing but it was OK. I took some photos of the inside and particularly the clips that hold it together as I thought they might be useful for somebody trying this. I'll need to resize them and sort out how to attach them here later.

Also, the fan inside mine was fine when I took it out, but was noisy again as soon as I mounted it back in the switch case. I eventually made it quieter by sticking the fan in place with some blobs of silicone sealant rather than use the clip-in mounting that is fixed in the case. I filed away part of the fan case to let it just sit in the right place rather than be held in by the clip. Seems much better now.

Following OvenMaster's instructions, I managed to get mine apart. Took a bit of doing but it was OK. I took some photos of the inside and particularly the clips that hold it together as I thought they might be useful for somebody trying this. I'll need to resize them and sort out how to attach them here later.

Also, the fan inside mine was fine when I took it out, but was noisy again as soon as I mounted it back in the switch case. I eventually made it quieter by sticking the fan in place with some blobs of silicone sealant rather than use the clip-in mounting that is fixed in the case. I filed away part of the fan case to let it just sit in the right place rather than be held in by the clip. Seems much better now.

:worthless <---- sorry wanted to do that since i became a member... Can't wait for the pictures

with those cheap little fans the bearings dry out as much as anything...if you look at the backside you will often see a small rubber plug that can be removed[often under the label],a drop of oil can resurrect many,even totally seized ones will often work as good as new...i do IT work for a automotive dealership,so i've been known to use 5W30 motor oil which i find works well...wd40 or similar will also work but won't last long term...it's old school computer repair that seems to amaze many in today's throw away world

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom