Anyone know the Fisher 600 reciever?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by djnagle, Jun 14, 2018.

1. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

I just picked one up in pristine condition but dont know anyhing about them. I know the 800 but not the 600. These plx are from the net, not of mine.

600.jpg clos.jpg

Drugolf and RUmad like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

What would you like to know about it?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ta-600-service-bulletin-early-version.676168/

has some specifics about the two versions of it. Nutshell, its a push-pull 7189 amp. Mine does 18 watts per channel, or 18 watts total with both driven. It sounds much bigger than the power output would have you believe. Early versions used a 7199 driver tube, same thing the Dyna ST-70 ran. Later ones used a 7247, same as the ST-35. FM is mono, this was from the AM/FM simulcast era. It will accept an external stereo multiplexer if you'd like though. Overall its a nice performing receiver with the typical old age problems that all equipment from about 1960 has.

Also, that faceplate should be real brass with engraved lettering, so it will polish up quite nicely without wiping out the lettering. Some of the console models had a brass toned steel faceplate, I'd be really careful polishing that. A magnet will tell the tale.

3. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Thanks, ill read through the tread. Just wondering what needs replacing to bring it back to new...sound wise.

4. gadget73

The usual selection of can caps mostly, and the "brown turd" capacitors in there are not of amazing quality. If you don't disturb them physically they may be OK but the leads break off inside if they get messed with. If it starts dropping a channel, thats probably why. Or you can change them, though up in the front part its pretty cramped inside. Internally these are kind of a mess, the front part was built in layers, with some of the parts you want to access buried under stuff you don't.

5. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

I got this home yesterday. I was shocked at how heavy it is. The guy fired it up and we played FM then AM then a record on the Garrard AT6 then hooked up my phone. What a great sounding unit.

Here is a pic of the whole thing.

00q0q_4fofy4ryHdX_600x450.jpg

Drugolf, I LIKE MUSIC and jdsalinger like this.
  6. jdsalinger

jdsalinger AK Subscriber Subscriber

I love the clean lines & blonde finish.
    I really like it when you can see the drivers through the grill cloth on MCM speakers.

Congratulations!

7. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

What do you mean by MCM?

8. jdsalinger

Mid century modern.
    Bad adjective to describe speakers...I meant MCM “consoles”

9. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

The drivers are Lorenz LP312-2 from Germany.

s-l400.jpg s-l400a.jpg

Drugolf and jdsalinger like this.
  10. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Getcha J. I was thinking MCM was the stuff J C Penny sold.

11. jdsalinger

Sweet drivers. OMG. So well built.

12. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

They sound great too.

13. Pioneered

Pioneered Well-Known Member

Anyone know the Fisher 600 receiver?

No but, if you hum a few bars.....................

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

14. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

15. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Dj, that's the TA600 I believe. Appears to be anyway. I have one I just got back yesterday from a recap/restore etc. Needs an MPX for stereo FM.

That is a wonder console paired with those speakers. Maybe there is an MPX in the console already?

16. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Not MPX but that is ok. I listen to FM for background music and AM for baseball only.

It does sound very good with those speakers. Who did you send yours too for recap?

17. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had purchased the 11 caps or so from Vintage Electronic Supply (found a list somewhere) and the 3 can caps from Hayseed Hamfest a while back as I had planned on going for it myself. Although it didn't look like it would be a daunting task, I finally decided it was too nice of a piece for me to be messing with. There is a tech in Twin Falls that some of us here use that I took it to. He used to run a Pacific Stereo service center in CA back in the day apparently. Fired her up for the first time last night and she sounds really good. He also upgraded the power supply I guess.

FM is low priority for me as well and will probably only pull the trigger on an MPX if one comes along reasonably. It would need work at this point as well too.

18. gadget73

FM mono works quite fine honestly. Unless you're doing critical listening over the air, the MPX is not a hard requirement IMO.

drtool likes this.