Anyone know this AT phono amp?

lorne

Sonic Lizard
AUDIO BLISS — Yes I got there with some recent alterations to my modded Micro DQ-5/Rega 300 rig which is currently mounting a budget Denon DL-110 MC to play some rough records. (My DL-301-II is resting.) This was running into a tube Melos GK-1 pre-amp which in turn went straight into a Sansui AU-alpha707Extra power section.

I rebuilt the Melos power supply last year — no schematics available. I added a fan and a much bigger heat sink to deal with the immense heat this outboard module produces. All was bliss and sunny sonic heaven in a newly found, rich and dramatic bandwidth until the Melos PS module started arcing and farting somewhere. I don't expect to fix this PITA in a hurry, so I ran my brain ragged trying to think of a solution that might give me the equivalent sound from the TT. The orphaned Melos could come unglued any time anyway, so a backup seems a good idea anyway. Is there a Melos that never fried anything? (But ya gotta luv 'em!)

SOLUTION?: I have a small, tube, head-phone amp I could feed using a phono amp. This is a kit that I have almost completed. Next: What phono amp?

AUDIO TECHNICA AT-PEQ20. Does anyone know this RIAA phono amp? I can buy one at local retail for about 18,000 yen /$US153. (See pics below)

Any comments or ideas based on what you can see?

The only other idea I have is to run the TT signal into my PAS-3 phono section and out of the tape OUT plugs. Gotta get that sound back. Vinyl never sounded better. Balanced, detailed and with stunning base — something I have always been shy of.

Attachments

• AT-PEQ20-1.jpg
    AT-PEQ20-1.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 10
  • AT-PEQ20-2.jpg
    AT-PEQ20-2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom