Anyone make measuring cups like Pyrex used to?

As far as I know,Pyrex never stopped making glass measuring cups.I bought one at the flea market a couple of years for a dollar,that I use everyday.Now Pyrex did make these 100th Anniversary limited editions in 2015,that I think were only sold at Costco,and Target,where I got a couple.They are already becoming collectible.
71xBLJilhWL._SX463_.jpg
IMG_6841%2B(640x426).jpg

The difference is the ones with the green tint, which is all you can get now, are made of soda lime glass and the old, clear ones are borosilicate just like lab ware and are 'real pyrex'. I don't abuse my stuff but I do like having the best for a purpose. Another tell, besides the color, is that the logo changed from upper case to lower case at the same time. (I'm not this much of a nerd, I looked this up online.) finally I had a big soda lime quart size cup and replaced it with an old one, now I can pour out of it without dribbling. The new spout shape... It's a step backwards.

They never stopped making glass measuring cups, but the point of the thread was that they changed the glass they were using. "Pyrex" used to mean borosilicate glass, but now they're soda lime glass. It's like buying something made of stainless steel only to find it's not stainless steel. :dunno:

My carafe is one of those. First pour is guaranteed to dribble down the side, after that its hit and miss depending on angle and how much coffee is in the thing at any given point. I just pour it over the sink every time now. Got tired of mopping up the counter.

I mean we can put a man on the Moon, we can make precision prosthetics, we can make engines with tolerances down in the thousandths of an inch. But we can't engineer a coffee pot that doesn't pee on the counter?

:wtf:

I don't know who designs spouts, but it's people who never have to pour out of them. :thumbsdown: Coffee maker carafes are notorious. :rolleyes:

I'm with ya, man. About 12 years ago, I went thru a couple coffeemakers that couldn't pour worth a damn. Finally, when shopping for the latest one, I took the carafe out of the display model in Target, walked to the front of the store where the drinking fountain was, and did a couple of test pours. Fast and slow, big pour and little, etc. Took a couple of tries before I found a brand that worked like it should.

We can (picture is right up there... ^^^)

I've got this exact coffeemaker. Inherited it from Pops. Should I be using that instead of my Keurig? ;)

Chip

My carafe is one of those. First pour is guaranteed to dribble down the side, after that its hit and miss depending on angle and how much coffee is in the thing at any given point. I just pour it over the sink every time now. Got tired of mopping up the counter.

The word of the day is: weir.

Chip

I mean we can put a man on the Moon, we can make precision prosthetics, we can make engines with tolerances down in the thousandths of an inch. But we can't engineer a coffee pot that doesn't pee on the counter?

Kinda like flashlights eh? My 7+ year old computer with a googolplex of parts still works but I can't seem to find a damn flashlight around here that does.
In the words of Kelly (Christina Applegate) Bundy "The mind boggles!"

And those precision prosthetics and orthotics, still are equal parts art and science. We can still put Man on the Moon, but finding an Ankle Foot Orthosis (Brace) which fits, fits in somewhat available sneakers, and which actually really fits and does not require constant adjustment is like finding Atlantis. Add to that my need for light weight and light load on an overstressed, overloaded hip which does well to stay in socket. That art is not as easy as you think, until you've lived with one. My last brace was nothing but trouble.

Back
Top Bottom