Anyone not able to sit in between their speakers? How to align them?

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by fredcohiba, Dec 26, 2017.

1. fredcohiba

fredcohiba AK Subscriber Subscriber

In my main listening room I have speakers about 8 feet apart and I sit about 10 feet in front of them. However due to furniture placement, I sit in front of my left speaker as there is a table taking up the sweet spot area. There is another chair on the other side of the table.
    I use extreme toe-in of the speakers to help get the right speaker aimed towards me and the left speaker aiming to the chair on the other side of the table.
    Anyone else face a similar issue? How are your speakers positioned?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. awillia6

awillia6 Well-Known Member

I have same relative placement as you (distances are a bit different). I simply set the mic in my listening position and run Audyssey. Problem gone.

3. Lo-Fidelity

Lo-Fidelity AK Subscriber Subscriber

Might be time for a new place.:cool:

4. fredcohiba

Maybe if I had your money.

5. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Have you not used your balance control to much effect?

Q

6. jcamero

jcamero Hey! I think I've got a LIVE ONE! Subscriber

My speakers are actually set up "normal", my furniture, due to room size, furniture size, placement, isn't. So, unless I'm standing, or bring a dining room chair in from another room, I do not have a sweet spot. I just sit where I get the best separation, and sonic qualities as the room set up allows.

7. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Fred, this can be solved with time alignment. Many ways to approach that.

I guess moving the table is out of the question.

awillia6 likes this.
  8. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

In temporary setup in bedroom, have easily moved reclining sling lawn chair. Surprised how comfortable. Has to be moved, to walk by, many times a day.
    Some speakers are not as directional as others, and more placement forgiving.
    Can you try the speakers closer together? A sketch of room and furniture might help with ideas.

9. dave1701

dave1701 Active Member

I have a similar situation. My speakers are spread wide apart relative to how close up I am to them. I just experiment a bit with the angle of each speaker and use the balance knob to adjust for asymmetry. Sounds okay to me.

10. JamVal

JamVal Super Member

I've a similar situation, my normal comfy seat is off to the right of the center axis of the speakers, pretty much in front of the right speaker.
    Of course I was getting more of the right channel than the left.
    I have a Pioneer SG-9500 in my system, (bottom left in my avatar) and I recently EQ'd the right channel a little less than the left, similar to what others have said about balance control.

I also have a Kenwood GE-4030 Equalizer that allows for 5 user custom presets, unfortunately it isn't capable of setting left and right channels independently.

11. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

A second set of wall/shelf-mounted bookshelf speakers on the opposite wall, oriented directly toward your seating position, may help.
    Realistic Minimus 7 variants can be had for cheap money.
    Surely there are many other options.

12. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

I'd get rid of the table... & get a sofa & coffee table.

13. fredcohiba

Thanks for all the responses. I played with the balance a bit and gave a little more emphasis to the right side. It seems better. Not sure I'll keep it like that or not.
    I keep trying to talk my wife into re-arranging the room but evidently we have the perfect symmetry for everything - everything but listening. She claims to have a tin ear and says anything is fine for her in terms of speaker placement, but every once and a while she surprises me and says. "Oh, that sounds good". So there may be hope that someday we can make some furniture tweaks.

14. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

The way things are set up I sit in the left recliner about 8 inches off center. Using a prescision sound level meter and a real time spectrum analyzer the system has always been perfectly balanced and the response as nice as you could want. But I have always had an issue of the image between the two main speakers was not very stable. Folks always said its because I have two mids placed side by side with different arrival times. All recommended I disconnect one of the mid drivers. Well last year about this time I upgraded HT processors. The previous one corrected distances for HT to the nearest foot. The latest one to the nearest inch. The HT processor also has Room Perfect EQ. But I didn't use it at first preferring to continue using my Parametric Equalizers. After setting up all the programming and relabeling inputs I started out first by listening in the Pure Stereo modes to CD's. I couldn't believe the difference. The bass definition was much improved and the midrange up to 2000 HZ much improved. But what really impressed me was the that soloists were firmly planted between the L & R speakers as never before. Well after much investigation it was because I had set the listening distance accurately to the nearest inch. The sound arriving equally locking the center in place as never before. So I now run my analog stereo pre-amp thru the HT processor in the Pure Stereo mode to take advantage of this new listening experience.

Its amazing how with some movies just using the front speakers switching between stereo and Dolby Movie mode you can't tell the difference in sound. Some recordings you don't need the center channel in the HT modes, the center image is so locked in place in the stereo mode. How do I know what is going on. I keep any eye on the meters of My Mcintosh MC 207 power amps. This experiment usually only works if you have three Identical speakers speakers up front. But I don't . However my speakers do use all the same drivers with the same crossovers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    awillia6 likes this.
  15. OnTheFritz

OnTheFritz New Member

Just moved into a new place and dealing with the same situation. I have a second bedroom that would fix the problem, but I don't like the idea of having my stereo system where other people won't enjoy it.

[​IMG]

16. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man Subscriber

i guess an assistant may help . or if you arent lazy like me keep moving things and testing again .

17. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

The extreme toe in method works great for a car with adjustable tweeters, I see no reason it wouldn't work in the house. But I can see how the soundfield might suffer, I just use a sofa lol.