Anyone notice the headphone bandwagon?

The rise of serious computer gaming IMO has also contributed to the rise of headphone usage. The computer gamers I know typically like to play their game with a pair of headphones as opposed to speakers.

Also, the switch to digital audio has made headphones more enjoyable. The crackle/pop/ticks/surface noise of vinyl aren't an issue with a digital source.

The surface noise, panning, and it is rough on stat/planar type drivers are the con's of vinyl and headphones. Panning and rough on stat/planar type drivers are the real downfalls imo. I would say surface noise is a little more prevalent on headphones but not allot. The pluses are no bass traps, no tons of money and time isolating the TT, no perfect positioning with the exception of a few headphones.

Akg k-1000 and/or Stax sigma. I know it sucks there is only 2. I know it sucks they are old. But it is what it is and they are designed for what you are looking for.

Please note I gave away a pair of Stax esl's to a buddy.

The sound field that headphones produce has nothing to do with a real soundstage. IME all headphones that are reproducing a two channel signal (not binaural) produce what at best can be charitably called a "headstage".

A soundstage is the (at best) aural impression of musicians performing over there where your speakers use to be. No headphone I've heard in 50+ years with this hobby has produced anything that comes close to a soundstage. Binaural recordings are the exception. Unfortunately binaural recordings sound rather mediocre through speakers. Plus, they are few and far between.

Please note I mostly in agreement with you. There are 2 out of thousands that break the rules. The k-1000 literally does not have ear pads. As much speaker like as headphone.

I've been idly thinking of buying a new pair of Stax Earspeakers. I've heard most of them including the Sigma Series. Even those only produce a "headstage". I've never heard the AKG's.

lini, you would be a most welcome guest (so would a lot of other AK posters). Stop by whenever you're in the neighborhood.:D

Joe: Sorry, hadn't noticed your reply yet - but thanks for the invitation. Not sure, whether I'll make it to the US ever again, though. In fact I rather doubt it, but of course one never knows...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I really like my NAD HP50's. They were designed by Paul Barton (PSB Speakers Paul) to sound like speakers in a room, and they do. Not as wide a soundstage, of course, but they are great and very reasonably priced.

There is a huge shift away from home stereos. A lot of people do all of their listening on portable devices and even at home many are using their headphones instead of buying a conventional system. If people are buying home gear it is usually HT oriented.

Huge shift? perhaps, but these things swing like pendulums. Remember when CD players first came out? shortly after that people trashed their record players and albums, now in most places in this world vinyl is outselling CD's! There is already inklings of this beginning to happen with portable devices as people who have gone back to vinyl are now realizing that portable devices don't sound as well as full size stereo's do, of course will always be needed when a person isn't at home, but for in house listening the switching back is beginning and vintage receivers are rising in price as people are migrating back to all this stuff.

Huge shift? perhaps, but these things swing like pendulums. Remember when CD players first came out? shortly after that people trashed their record players and albums, now in most places in this world vinyl is outselling CD's! There is already inklings of this beginning to happen with portable devices as people who have gone back to vinyl are now realizing that portable devices don't sound as well as full size stereo's do, of course will always be needed when a person isn't at home, but for in house listening the switching back is beginning and vintage receivers are rising in price as people are migrating back to all this stuff.

Even if true, companies can't wait years for pendulums to swing back. They need to turn out products that sell every year, or die.

As for how far the pendulum could swing back, hard to tell but check out the actual sales of LPs these days vs the glory days. And it looks like 2016 sales may be dropping again.

vinyl-chart.jpg

Yet vinyl sales have now surpassed free streaming services, see: http://time.com/money/4056464/vinyl-records-sales-streaming-revenues/

And according to this article CD's have plummeted while vinyl is surging, see: http://uproxx.com/smokingsection/vinyl-sales-rise-2015/

I seriously believe, though I could be logically wrong, but I do believe that had the recording industry changed from CD format to DVD WITHOUT adding movies, just use all the space on the DVD to put all the music information with far less compression than a CD and we probably (again that belief thing of mine) that we would not be wanting to go back to vinyl. this was proposed by the industry when DVD's first came out but it never saw the light of the day. What we did see with DVD was music videos, but the video took up so much space that the sound had to be compressed to fit into a space of a CD! so nothing was gained in the sound.

Akg k-1000 and/or Stax sigma. I know it sucks there is only 2. I know it sucks they are old. But it is what it is and they are designed for what you are looking for.

Jecklin Float and Float II, Peerless / PMB / MB-Quart QP-85, QP-100, QP1000, a couple others from PMB i think. Precide Ergo, Ergo 2, Ergo AMT. TakeT H2 and H2+. I'm sure i missed some.

I personally have the QP-85 and QP-100.

The Ergo 2, Ergo AMT, and TakeT H2+ are currently available new. Precide also sells kits to refurbish the old Jecklin products, and German Maestro sells replacement pads for the QP headphones.

(Once upon a time, a company called Peerless bought Mikrofon Bau and became Peerless-MB. Later on, they merged with a company called Quart and became MB-Quart. Then more recently they got acquired by an outfit called Maxxsonics and suffered some bad defection to Beyerdynamic and other european audio companies before a bunch of former MB-Q employees banded together and bought most of the headphone IP, headphone inventory, and manufacturing equipment that was MB-Quart from Maxxsonics, who now manufactures cheaper versions of old MBQ products in china, while German Maestro products are still mostly made in germany.)

Last edited:
As a big fan of headphones, this is good for me. Though I worry about the R&D department focusing too much on them....that said, in this business, like any business really, it's adapt or die out. So I don't hold it against companies for doing what makes them money. That's the market.

Jecklin Float and Float II, Peerless / PMB / MB-Quart QP-85, QP-100, QP1000, a couple others from PMB i think. Precide Ergo, Ergo 2, Ergo AMT. TakeT H2 and H2+. I'm sure i missed some.

I personally have the QP-85 and QP-100.

The Ergo 2, Ergo AMT, and TakeT H2+ are currently available new. Precide also sells kits to refurbish the old Jecklin products, and German Maestro sells replacement pads for the QP headphones.

(Once upon a time, a company called Peerless bought Mikrofon Bau and became Peerless-MB. Later on, they merged with a company called Quart and became MB-Quart. Then more recently they got acquired by an outfit called Maxxsonics and suffered some bad defection to Beyerdynamic and other european audio companies before a bunch of former MB-Q employees banded together and bought most of the headphone IP, headphone inventory, and manufacturing equipment that was MB-Quart from Maxxsonics, who now manufactures cheaper versions of old MBQ products in china, while German Maestro products are still mostly made in germany.)

MySpere3.1. K-1000 successor. Will not be AKG but I think that is a good thing.

all the comp in headphones is something of a boon for audiophiles.. clearly there is total junk out there.. always has been junk and always will be..

but leading up to xmas you could have scored DT880's for well under $200 .. this headphone has been around for quite a long time and previously was beyerdynamic's flagship headphone.. similarly pricing is way down for the HD600 and HD650's .. massdrop had the MD edition HD6XX (basically a HD650 with a paint job and a few other differences) for $199 (limited 5,000 run..gone in hour~ ... which bummed me out because i wanted these but couldn't order..meh).

other bargains have been all over

Back
Top Bottom