Anyone on here know anything about antique electronics?

Well I'm not opposed to defending myself if someone was to attack me personally concerning my beliefs or intellectually,

Actually most your return comments come off very abracive the way I read them just in this thread. If your getting banned all over the place I would not place the blame on the sites and their members. One needs to look at their part and what they can do about it.

That said and knowing you might not be able to control some of your reactions I'd start by rephrasing your words. I would slow down your postings and use words like please, thank you, I apologize. I hope you understand, Along with and not limited to the use of kind little smilies, :), :thumbsup::p:oops::bigok::rflmao:

I would also drop this thread now and get a moderator to delete it, it really is just a rant and will not do any good for you continuing forwards. :no:

Yes, I think that will be the best. Also don't forget the DIY forum.
Ok, thanks, because I do have a few old radios that I'm currently working on that I'm kind of having issues with and both of them are are late 1940s AM/FM Radios (with modern 100 MHz FM band not the old 42 MHz FM band) and part of the issue is in how to go about rewiring a new powercord onto the radio because the original power cord was a 3 conductor power cord that had the 3rd conductor that operated as sort of a Line antenna for the FM Band (before the clamp on type existed that came about in the 1950s).

Actually most your return comments come off very abracive the way I read them just in this thread. If your getting banned all over the place I would not place the blame on the sites and their members. One needs to look at their part and what they can do about it.

That said and knowing you might not be able to control some of your reactions I'd start by rephrasing your words. I would slow down your postings and use words like please, thank you, I apologize. I hope you understand, Along with and not limited to the use of kind little smilies, :), :thumbsup::p:oops::bigok::rflmao:

I would also drop this thread now and get a moderator to delete it, it really is just a rant and will not do any good for you continuing forwards. :no:

Actually its not a rant, I seriously need other places/sources to get information/help for when and if I need it for repairing old radios and record players that become too difficult for me to figure out on my own.
As for why my replies may or may not sound abrasive its because as I explained before I have Autism and because of that I have a hard time wording things properly and so because of that comments and replies often get misunderstood, and I've tried to appologize for that and explain that to people on some of the other forums I've gotten banned from but they just think I'm making up excuses when I'm not and in reality they just don't understand Autism well enough to realize that what I'm saying is the truth.

I'm trying to work on better wording my replies and comments and even trying to use smilies but it doesn't always work out.

1940s AM/FM Radios (with modern 100 MHz FM band
Go to tube audio and start a new thread titled "1940s AM/FM Radios with modern 100 MHz FM band"
I'm trying to work on better wording my replies and comments and even trying to use smilies but it doesn't always work out.

I understand but again your post has no smilies, :thumbsup:

Online people can't see your face and a lot gets lost that we can't communicate in writing that we do in person. :)

Go to tube audio and start a new thread titled "1940s AM/FM Radios with modern 100 MHz FM band"

I understand but again your post has no smilies, :thumbsup:

Online people can't see your face and a lot gets lost that we can't communicate in writing that we do in person. :)
So what's the 4-2-7 in your username refer to? Just wondering...:idea: Because your picture shows a picture of a McIntosh Model 275 Tube Amplifier. :confused:

i was brought up on what is now known as antique radios .. most of it i have sadly forgotten though . i know i could get one working if broken and in front of me but cant do by remote control ..

i was brought up on what is now known as antique radios .. most of it i have sadly forgotten though . i know i could get one working if broken and in front of me but cant do by remote control ..
Well most of the radios I work on are what you would consider "antique radios" I work on anything from old cathedral Radios to old floor and tabletop radios that were made between 1930 and 1963 (tube powered, before soiled state I once heard it called). :D :thumbsup:

i do work on the odd valve equipment but cant offer help to others as i do not feel qualified enough ..solid state i can figure my through it . i never studied valves and how they work . i just got lucky in the old days .or i did understand and didn't realise it ..i always got the old things going somehow though ..

Valves? Did somebody say valves? :biggrin:

valve-amp.jpg

i do work on the odd valve equipment but cant offer help to others as i do not feel qualified enough ..solid state i can figure my through it . i never studied valves and how they work . i just got lucky in the old days .or i did understand and didn't realise it ..i always got the old things going somehow though ..
That's actually how it was with me actually, I really don't understand how tubes work, all I know is that they do and that they're happy when they're getting proper voltages which only happens when you replace the old paper capacitors and, and I also knew that almost all tube radios and record players I've ever had always had an annoying hum to them and in fact prior to finding websites like this I actually lost 2 record players to what the cause of that hum was, which was bad/shorted power supply capacitors which ended up taking out the power transformers on the aforementioned record players, and that was when I decided to go hunting for the cause of those issues which was how I ended up learning how to repair said tube equipment. True Story Yo! :) :king: :rockon:

For your FM radio, all you have to do is replace the old 3 wire cord with a standard 2 wire power cord, then add a single 22 AWG stranded wire for the antenna. The power cord connects to the power transformer and power switch. The antenna wire will be the one that connects to the tuner. Make the antenna wire the same length as the original wire.

I'm somewhat familiar with captainclock. He's not a troll. He's a young guy with some problems who has found an outlet and a niche in vintage gear. My advice to him would be to learn how to be a little bit more "open loop" - that is don't make "feedback" a huge part of your experience. If you get good feedback - use it. If you get bad feedback - go "open loop" - disconnect - ignore. If somebody agrees with you or wants to help you he will chime in. If not - that's the way the cookie crumbles. There's no point in getting tangled up in dramas with internet guys.

For your FM radio, all you have to do is replace the old 3 wire cord with a standard 2 wire power cord, then add a single 22 AWG stranded wire for the antenna. The power cord connects to the power transformer and power switch. The antenna wire will be the one that connects to the tuner. Make the antenna wire the same length as the original wire.

The radio is a hot chassis design so there's no transformer sadly enough, otherwise I would of done that ages ago. This radio (which I have now since posted a thread about in the tube audio forum) is a rather funky design that has the "external antenna" connection in the area near where the AC Power connects to the radio which is why I was wanting to try and keep the wiring as close to the orginal as possible because I don't want to take any chances of someone getting electrocuted by touching the antenna if it was a seperate wire coming out of the cabinet from the cord, since this is a hot chassis design and doesn't have any sort of isolation for the chassis or anything connected to it, including the antenna connections.

I'm somewhat familiar with captainclock. He's not a troll. He's a young guy with some problems who has found an outlet and a niche in vintage gear. My advice to him would be to learn how to be a little bit more "open loop" - that is don't make "feedback" a huge part of your experience. If you get good feedback - use it. If you get bad feedback - go "open loop" - disconnect - ignore. If somebody agrees with you or wants to help you he will chime in. If not - that's the way the cookie crumbles. There's no point in getting tangled up in dramas with internet guys.

Thanks for speaking up. :)

Back
Top Bottom