1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone play a Martin CEO-7?

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by louisjames, Jul 24, 2018.

1. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

If so, any thoughts? I've watched the videos and read the reviews but would like some hands-on input from another AK'er if anyone has one or has spent time with one.

Thanks
    Jon

P.S. If you had the choice between a CEO-7 and a standard D28 which might you pick?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

Having never handled a CEO-7 but hundreds of D-28s, I'd peobably go w/ the model I know. However, that said, I've long preferred model D-18 to D-28, but beyond those my very favourites, where Martins are concerned, are its various 00- and 000- models.

cratz2 likes this.
  3. louisjames

Thank you for the feedback. I've always favored mahogany b/s to rosewood which to my ears has too much "bloom" and overtones for the playing I do. That said, I'm more in the Gibson and Gibson style acoustic camp as I like that "dry thump". Although my go-to is still my beat-to-crap Guild D40. The CEO-7 looks interesting as it adds some richness of tone that the Gibson small bodies do not. I actually had a chance to play a D28 earlier today and it's not for me.

4. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

As am I, esp. the J-45 configurations, but also some of the older models, e.g., Southern Jumbo and the Advanced Jumbo.

5. louisjames

Got the CEO-7 and very pleased with it. Unlike many Martin's I've tried this one hits all the high points and has no real drawbacks. I'm currently debating between a vintage J45/50 or a newer one like the Sheryl Crow SJ. The prices on the vintage ones, even early-to-mid 60's have gone through the roof and I'm not sure it's worth spending that much. Although they will probably hold their value a bit better. Also looking at a Greven "J" as I have one of his guitars and like it very much. Boutique / small builders like Kopp, Walker, etc. aren't holding their value well but if you're not looking for return on investment they are a good option. Still, it seems when time comes to sell something a guitar that has Martin or Gibson on the headstock always does best.

6. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Love my DCPA3. The Martin traditionalists probably turn their nose up at it but I think it walks the line between the advantages of a Taylor and those of a Martin very well. :)

Is the CEO a new series as well?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018

7. louisjames

The CEO has been in lineup for a while now. Basically it's C.F. Martin IV's designed guitars and range from typical ones to ones Martin had never built in the past like the CEO-7 which looks more Gibson than Martin. The CEO-7 being one of the most popular of the bunch. I also agree that the Martin "Performance" line is a great value and great playing guitar. Let the traditionalists turn up their noses. ;)

Here's a link to the latest in the series - the 8.2

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CEO82--martin-ceo-8.2-bourbon-sunset-burst

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  8. EngineerNate

I play live more than anything else and I love the Aura F1 setup. I'm sure they've iterated on it since I got the guitar (Early 2012) but it's still a great performer. I liked the Breedlove and Larivees in the same price range but I didn't think any of them could touch the PA series for actual stage use.

Is the CEO-7 a Parlor sized body?

9. louisjames

Short scale 00. I typically like a 000 / OM best but this one is as we used to say "Tits". :)

EngineerNate likes this.
  10. EngineerNate

Sure is purty. About the first Martin I can recall that has that sunburst paintjob. I've always liked the look of the Gibson acoustics but I've not been impressed by their value or quality control. Seems like this checks all the boxes. :)

11. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

I just bought a brand new HD28. You should really check it out. It's like the D28, but with forward shifted scalloped bracing, herringbone, and tortoise pickguard. It blows away any J45 I have played. The one I bought sounds like an older guitar.

12. louisjames

I did play a new HD28 and agree it's a great sounding / playing guitar. My biggest "issue" with Martin's is simply one of scale. It's more comfortable for me to play a short scale and allows me to open up the chords a bit more as well. I also like the feel of a slope shoulder better than a square shoulder which has gotten a bit much for my older arms / shoulders.

13. EngineerNate

I've picked up some of the more classic Martin guitars in-store since owning mine, and my first thought every time is, "Man, this neck is chunky!"

14. louisjames

Which is why the PA neck is so popular. Or is it the Low Oval? Either way, and I like chunky, but not "baseball bat" V necks. Bottom line is the low profile "C's" and "D's" are very comfortable. Especially if you're a "thumb over the top" player. :)

15. marqueemoon

marqueemoon Gimme indie rock!

Sounds really good in that demo. I like everything about it but the sunburst.

If you have that kind of budget I'd definitely look at Collings before making a final decision.

16. louisjames

The burst was not my favorite part of the guitar but has actually grown on me. In person it's nicer than in any videos / pictures I've seen. I did have a Collings 0001 and an OM and really like those. But the Martin definitely fits the bill and is more than just a "blues" guitar. Plays like a dream, is very expressive and responsive and have a really amazing voice. And while I like 1 11/16th better than 1 3/4, the neck profile on the CEO-7 is really well done. The guitar handles strumming, finger style, lead work and palm muting equally well and overall I can't recommend it enough.