Anyone play around with night photography?

jpdylon

non-active member...
Sometimes there are just the right conditions. Then you just have the need to grab the camera.

This was one of those.

Just thought some of these shots at night were cool. Anyone else take night shots?

attachment.php

Attachments

• p1010008.jpg
    p1010008.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 294
OK - I'll bite. But it was 15 years ago with 1600 speed 35mm film. I took some pictures up at the Griffith Park observatory in Los Angeles on a clear night - looking out over the city.

Sorry - this is a picture of three of those pictures. It's too late to drag out the smaller prints and scan them, so I hope this is ok. The three pictures are hung even on my wall, but my camera makes them look crooked.....over the years, the colors have faded to a nice sepia-look.

Rob

Attachments

• 100_0134.jpg
    100_0134.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 108
Sometimes there are just the right conditions. Then you just have the need to grab the camera.

This was one of those.

Just thought some of these shots at night were cool. Anyone else take night shots?

attachment.php

oooh... very cool Jordan!

My Brother-In-Law & I were at it just the other night. Clear sky, tons of stars...so we shut off all the lights in the house except for one candle in each window, and the Christmas tree in the bottom left window. Experimented with shutter speeds & ISOs, but we're both beginners at this. He ended up with the best shot- we know it could have been better, but hey, we tried. Check it out:

je

Attachments

• StarryNight (Large).jpg
    StarryNight (Large).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 111
wonderful that you can actually see the stars! Its hard to view them here in SD even on a clear night. :yes:

I burned up 2 rolls of Fuji Neopan 1600 B&W one night in Fussen Germany (the town near the fairy tail castles in Bavaria) The first snow of the year had hit and by 8:30 the town was virtually empty by 9:00pm every shop was closed. But the town remained all lit up. The shots are all packed away soemwhere. But I got some great shots.

wonderful that you can actually see the stars! Its hard to view them here in SD even on a clear night. :yes:

We've only been here for two years, and already the light pollution is a lot worse. We used to see only one light out our front door, now there are easily a dozen left on all night.

Bummer.

The most I've ever seen was ~1987 from a little island off the coast of Nova Scotia. Absolutely incredible.

je

here is a nightime moon shot.i did it on the night they said the moon was closest to the earth in its orbit.it was very cloudy here that night.i got lucky,and caught a small break in the clouds long enough to get the shot.

Picture118.jpg

When I first bought my Canon XSi DSLR this summer, after a couple of beers, and a mild rain stopped, I went out and shot a couple of flowers in my friend's garden at night using a the flash.

I was just experimenting with a new toy, but I thought they turned out well.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0705s.jpg
    IMG_0705s.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0708s.jpg
    IMG_0708s.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0713s.jpg
    IMG_0713s.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0715s.jpg
    IMG_0715s.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 248
I also tried some long exposure shots with deliberate camera movement dubbed "fire in the sky", and some macro shots of spiders which that area is known for...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0765s.jpg
    IMG_0765s.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0731s.jpg
    IMG_0731s.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0704s.jpg
    IMG_0704s.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 243
I used to enjoy using a Rolleiflex Automat with a f/3.5 lens. B&W film for me. Sounds odd but the Bronica is not as good for it. I just located an old 120 box camera I played with years ago and it has a B setting so may give it a try. It has a soft lens that in daylight shots gave a bit of a surreal look compared to the Bronica so may be interesting.

Here are some night shots I took over the holidays. Shot with my Nikon D70 DSLR with a Quantaray 28mm-200mm lens on a tripod. Most shots were exposed around 1.5 seconds.
The first and third pics are of the duck island in our local park. The second one is one of many displays in the park for the holidays. The fourth one is of a neighbors house. The last one is a sunset shot taken from my workplace. This one was shot hand held.
I like doing night photography, but it's been pretty cold here at night to do much of it.

Attachments

• DSC_3035.jpg
    DSC_3035.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_3037.jpg
    DSC_3037.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_3034.jpg
    DSC_3034.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_3011.jpg
    DSC_3011.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_3026.jpg
    DSC_3026.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 29
I'd love to take some night sky pics, but I'm too lazy to lug out the tripod and too cheap to buy a gorilla - heck, I might order one anyway.

Wallyworld carries the gorilla pods now in the camera dept. About $10 for the small one and about $20 for the bigger one. I'm thinking about getting the big one.
Update, these pods are just like the gorilla pods, but are made by Targus and called the Grypton. I bought one this morning. ($17.97 for the large one) The larger one is rated for load capacity at 3.3 lbs. It has a quick release swivel head and is designed to be used with light weight SLR cameras and camcorders. It has a one year warranty.
Here's a link to see the larger one.
Further update! Do not get one of these pods if your camera weighs around 3 lbs. I tried both my Nikon D70 and my Olympus E300 DSLR on this pod and the head just would not hold either one up! I weighed both cameras on a postal scale and the both weighed 3 lbs each. This pod is load rated for 3.3 lbs. I'm taking it back to get a refund! I wonder if the real Gorilla pod is better? Anyone have one and care to comment?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9722055

deer at midnight in my backyard

Attachments

• y1pIlUVyiYPT_ObWl4ahOyghUvBp6TOYT-CpLNdZ1ja-cG-AOlPkX4K7L30SS7J1NO-[1].jpg
    y1pIlUVyiYPT_ObWl4ahOyghUvBp6TOYT-CpLNdZ1ja-cG-AOlPkX4K7L30SS7J1NO-[1].jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 45
  • y1pcGw1Uh1AQOx99MyUi9ceufm6kPOAboVBgJG2pIDCcJqynmH8x1x2WoTpzNPvpX2m[1].jpg
    y1pcGw1Uh1AQOx99MyUi9ceufm6kPOAboVBgJG2pIDCcJqynmH8x1x2WoTpzNPvpX2m[1].jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 36
  • y1pShw8kXZFylYvEanI49oLA98pG1mBpTA3JsVkPkP2ov88WZIM-5zjnyASSGnjg_OI[1].jpg
    y1pShw8kXZFylYvEanI49oLA98pG1mBpTA3JsVkPkP2ov88WZIM-5zjnyASSGnjg_OI[1].jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 31
I took this a while back with the Pentax K100D and an older Beck 135 / 2.8. Sharp, bright lens, but notice the ghosting. Probably the lack modern coatings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom