Anyone Recognize these Speaker Stands?

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
I picked these speaker stands up yesterday. They have a triangular base that measures a bit over 13" on a side. The top plate is 5.75" x 5.75". They have three vertical columns and came with spikes. The height is about 29.5" not including the spikes and about 30.5" including the spikes.

They are solid steel with a black textured finish. They are pretty heavy and seem well made. Probably fairly expensive when new. The measurements above are rounded off. Given that they aren't exact, I think the actual dimensions are metric, which leads me to believe they were not made in the US, or not targeted specifically for the American market.

The most distinguishing feature is the vertical columns are octagonal (8-sided). When I first saw them, I immediately thought of the Lovan brand of stands, several of which have similar triangular bases. I was able to find pics of the Lovan Ballet 1 and Ballet 2 models which have rectangular and round vertical columns, but could not find any Lovans, or anything else, with octagonal vertical columns.

The back right vertical column on each stand has small openings near the top and bottom for running speaker wires inside the column. There is a corresponding round hole in the triangular base immediately behind this column. So, they were built with cable management in mind.

Here's a couple of photos:

Lovan_Stands_1.jpg

Lovan_Stands_2.jpg

Anyone recognize these?

I already have heavy, well-made metal stands in 18 and 24" height. So, it was nice to pick up something a little taller. The height is perfect for smaller bookshelf/stand mount speakers, such as my modified Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, or the satellite speakers from my 3D Acoustics 3D610B 3-piece system.

They look like Lovan Ballet stands.
Ike you said, I’ve only seen round or four sided columns.

As soon as I saw the triangular bases, I thought of Lovan. Perhaps they are some older predecessor to the Ballet line.

Whatever the case, they are well made and I picked them up for a song. So, I'm a happy camper. You can never have too many high quality speaker stands. I had a pair of vinyl covered MDF 31" tall TechCraft stands, but I threw them in with a pair of modded Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers I sold and have been looking for a pair of ~30" tall stands ever since. These are much heavier than the TechCrafts.

I was also thinking Pangea. I think they had a triangular base stand. And I agree. Stands are good things to have. They look nice. I know I’d love to have them

I was also thinking Pangea. I think they had a triangular base stand. And I agree. Stands are good things to have. They look nice. I know I’d love to have them

Thanks! I hadn't thought of Pangea. I am most familiar with their current offerings, which seem to have rectangular, cast bases. But, thanks to your post, I googled Pangea speaker stands triangular, which led me to these:

ls2.jpg

Ok, they have two round vertical columns instead of 3 octagonal columns, and use a different style of threaded caps on the tops of the spikes, but it was a step in the right direction that led me further down the rabbit hole of google image search.

Which led me to these:

240-743_HR_0.jpg

These are the long discontinued Dayton Audio SSTT-18 speaker stands from Parts Express. They are only 18" tall, and I can't quite tell from the photos if the vertical columns are round or hexagonal (I think they are hexagonal), but other than that, they are a dead ringer for my stands. They have the exact same openings in one of the columns for speaker wires and the same brass acorn finishing nuts on the tops of the spikes. The textured finish looks the same, as do the large Phillips head screws used to affix the top plates. If they were a foot taller, they'd be indistinguishable from my stands.

I did search for other Dayton Audio stands in this series and only came up with a 24" tall version with black acorn finishing nuts on the spikes. Makes me wonder if there is some contract manufacturer that OEMs "store brand" speaker stands for Parts Express (Dayton Audio), Audio Advisor (Pangea) and Monoprice (Monolith). All three "stores" offer similar looking but not identical products. They are probably made-to-order for each brand, with slight variations to distinguish them from each other.

So, whether they are a Lovan product or a Dayton Audio product for Parts Express, they are well made, sturdy and reasonably attractive. Certainly two or three steps up in quality and stability over the TechCraft stands I previously used in this height.

Back
Top Bottom