Anyone seen woofer voice coil rub on stock Klipsch KLF-20

grindfix

Full time hobby
Subscriber
I wonder if anyone ran into this. Two out of four woofers are not centered. Voice coil rubs badly in one and slightly in another one. There is no indication that woofers were re-foamed. Am I dealing with improperly centered spider or just surround? Spider does not seem to be detached as I’ve seen in Klipsch subwoofer drivers due to basket rusting. I was able to peel off the surround from the cone and can attempt to re-center using low frequency signal but would like to hear opinions on how to verify spider alignment first.
Thanks

With the surround detached, can you push the cone in without the VC rubbing? If you can center it manually without rubbing, then you should be able to correct it by regluing the surround. But if you cannot manually center the cone without the VC rubbing, then either the former is damaged or the spider is off-center. Remove the dust cap to determine if the spider is off-center.

To be able to re-use original dust cap, if will be possible, what can I use to soften original adhesive?

Back
Top Bottom