Anyone shooting film these days ?

MaxxVolume

Lunatic Member
I was nostalgically fondling a couple of my old film cameras the other day, and thinking about how I haven`t used them in a few years. One of the problems I see is the lack of places to get film processed any more, particularly transparency film. What do you folks do ?

Soon. Building up enough Amazon points to cover a pack of Impossible film for this baby.

IMG_20160618_163655.jpg

I am, mainly medium format (120) and large format (5x4 and 10x8) some I process myself some I take to a local lab. There are still places that will develop film for you. Do a Google search for your area. That, and there are places that you can mail it to.

I've thought about it. I still have a couple Canons and a couple Nikons and several lenses for each... I even was given two rolls of film after a craigslist deal, I just haven't actually loaded up anything.

In fact, my original Canon EOS 650 (NOT the 650D) I used through college and thereafter still has a roll of film in it with about half left. No idea what condition the film is in and absolutely no idea what is on those frames... Kinda scary as an awful lot has changed since I took those shots.

:oops:

I'm done with film. But, I still have rolls of Kodachrome in my freezer for some reason, and two film camera bodies I'll never use again. I think I still have a few stray rolls of Fuji film also. The latter I can probably sell or give away, but isn't Kodachrome pretty much dead in terms of chemicals to develop it?

The problem with film is the absurd amount of time it takes to process and print it well, compared to digital. Digital and what you can correct in the computer has, IMO, raised the quality bar dramatically. 35mm has never been the format of extreme quality but larger formats can get you a look unobtainable any other way, including digital, unless you have very deep pockets. I've still got my darkroom and hopefully will do some film when I retire.

The last time I had photos developed and printed, it was a mediocre job at best. Even the scans they put on CD were lacking--I was able to scan better myself at home. (We were in a time pinch and needed the photos rather quickly.)

I always wanted to get into medium format, but the entry point is now too expensive for me.

I still like to shoot film time to time for fun. I've got my Canon EOS 620 I shot with in college, an AE-1 Program I shoot with about as much as my DSLR's. Favorite I like to pull out is a 1050's Zeiss Ikon SLR that mostly works (some shutter speeds aren't available on it any longer and the light meter is broken). Would love to get it fully restored but about the only guy stateside that does it has a ridiculous backlog.

I'm going to New Mexico next week and plan on taking two film SLR's and two DSLR's.

I'm done with film. But, I still have rolls of Kodachrome in my freezer for some reason, and two film camera bodies I'll never use again. I think I still have a few stray rolls of Fuji film also. The latter I can probably sell or give away, but isn't Kodachrome pretty much dead in terms of chemicals to develop it?

Not pretty much dead, but totally dead
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/us/30film.html?_r=0

Once in a while. I have a Pentax ZX7 and a Canon Photura. The Pentax is a good camera, the Photura interesting but rather clunky. Processing and printing isn't a problem as a couple local stores still do it. Just got a free Pentax ME-Super, which works great but the previous owner felt a need to engrave his/her initials onto the prism housing. I covered that up with silver paint, which looks meh but better than those initials. I think I'll give the ZX7 to my grandaughter and keep the ME super.

Digital is so much more convenient and cheaper.

Last edited:
Digital is so much more convenient and cheaper.
Indeed. I tend to shoot a lot of images. It is easier for me to experiment with different exposure settings and other things, and not have to worry about burning through tons of film, then paying to develop it all. Photoshop or Lightroom can provide final tweaks if needed. Seeing that just about all of my work goes online or into a digital format anyway, film is just an added step I don't need. I rarely print anything, in other words.

There is a small part of me that wants the medium format film advantage (I've always wanted a Pentax 645), but it's yet another pursuit I don't have money for. This audio stuff already eats through enough of my money. :D

Indeed. I tend to shoot a lot of images. It is easier for me to experiment with different exposure settings and other things, and not have to worry about burning through tons of film, then paying to develop it all. Photoshop or Lightroom can provide final tweaks if needed. Seeing that just about all of my work goes online or into a digital format anyway, film is just an added step I don't need. I rarely print anything, in other words.

There is a small part of me that wants the medium format film advantage (I've always wanted a Pentax 645), but it's yet another pursuit I don't have money for. This audio stuff already eats through enough of my money. :D

I used to own a Mamiya 645 with a 75mm (normal) lens. A great format but film and processing is costly. I had a 120 and a 220 back and a metered pentaprism finder. I sold it after closing my wedding photography business.

If I ever go back to MF film I will likely get a used Rolleiflex or Yashicamat.

Yeah, I am an audio geek, too. My most recent additions are a Pro-Ject turntable and a high-end Denon receiver.. I'm retired so I have the time but often don't have the $.

It's only film for me. I sold my 2 digital bodies years ago after realizing I was spending 6-8 hours more on weddings than with film and haven't looked back. My only digital camera is my phone now. It's convenient for what I use it for but anything important gets a roll or two burned. I shoot 35mm and medium format and if I had a few more accessories, I'd get the 4x5 out. For those of you looking for a good place to get film processed, North Coast Photo has always done an excellent job with my film. Their scans are top notch, too.

I have a Pentax ME Super with a manual focus 50 mm F1.7 prime I got last year. It's in 9/10 condition. I thought about getting back into film but I don't even get out to do digital...but I'm hoping to soon.

I like the darkroom process. I shoot B&W for the most part and develope and print in my own darkroom. I do 35MM and 4x5. I use 120 format as well, but via an adapter back on my toyo for portrait work. I do digital via my phone and iPad for work related documentation work because that is format that meets the imediancy required by today's work environment

I just dug out the old Canon EOS Elan II with the idea of doing some time exposure work. My digital is pretty basic and doesn't have that option. The Canon has the typical broken film door latch, unfortunately.

I shot a quick roll of b&w through an FM2 I picked up, just to see if it works. Haven't got it developed yet so I don't know for sure. Been having too much fun shooting digital and the 'instant' gratification that comes with it.

Yes I have a Nikon F2A with all the lenses and everything. I haven't used it in close to 10 years. Was thinking of just putting it all on Ebay.

I do both digital and have rediscovered the fun of 35mm film .How hard is it to devolepe yourself?Cost?Funny how some on here have given up on 35mm film and while talking to my 25 something year old niece ,her and many friends do digital but have discovered film and love it.For now i will send my film away to be processed but i would also like to learn how to do it myself as it is a money saver in the long run and would be fun also.So far i only have 3 film cameras ,a kiev 4a rangefinder,prakitca ltl and a zenit et on the way from the ukraine.Im really liking the kiev .I do plan on collecting another 10 or 20 35mm cameras over the next year or more.For digital i have a Nikon d3100 with a Sigma 70-300 vr auto lense and a hp 6mp oldie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom