Anyone Shop in Tokyo for Used Tube Amps?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by goldleaf, Jan 26, 2013.

1. goldleaf

goldleaf Super Member

May have a chance to visit Japan later this year (maybe). I've heard Akihabara is not what it used to be because the Yen is so high versus the Dollar but that there are still a few shops that cater to tube aficionados. I am curious about used SET amps since Japanese transformers have a good reputation. Anyone have experiences to share?

I am not interested in anything new, only vintage.

BTW, this is a fun site from Japan http://www.single-ended.com/

2. goldleaf

goldleaf Super Member

3. diamondsouled

diamondsouled Recycle belly button lint!

Attached Files:

4. goldleaf

goldleaf Super Member

I have a very large number of frequent flyer miles from a previous job and if things work out this could be a pleasant trip to Tokyo/Kyoto, Hong Kong and Seoul. I've been to HK before but all I got was 2 lousy custom tailored suits and some deserved indigestion :D

I've lived so long in NC that trips to big metropolis cities like NYC and Tokyo are only fun in short doses. But checking out some exotic hifi would be a real treat combined with visiting a really cool club and maybe some nice old architecture in Kyoto.

I wonder if one has to be careful that salvaged equipment from the disaster zone is not radioactive. Could happen, like US people trying to pawn off hurricane-drowned cars. I wonder how much a small geiger counter costs? Or maybe it's just paranoia. :scratch2:

Fantasy: some bargain Tango iron.

5. diamondsouled

The kind of glow in the dark you want from tube amps doesn't involve radioactivity. :D The largest wooden structure in the world is in Kyoto isn't it. I believe that no nails are used either. Largest Buddha statue as well me thinks.

6. specialidiot

specialidiot Break Glass, Smoke Lucky Subscriber

7. goldleaf

goldleaf Super Member

8. Ballylongford

Ballylongford AK Subscriber Subscriber

I thought I recalled a thread on AK which stated there is not much interest in
    vintage gear in Japan due to some cultural attitude towards used goods.

While I am sure the vintage McIntosh, etc are execeptions.

Anybody recall the thread and can link to it???

:scratch2:

9. sony6060

sony6060 Super Member

I had a person from Japan buy a vintage used radio. I complained before the sale, no sales outside of USA. They said no problem will transfer funds direct to my bank account, three day mail with cash in US dollars, whatever I wanted. After that, I accepted their Paypal. Then, after the sale the buyer sent a pick up service out of local US airport (60 miles) & bought a seat to place it on to fly back to Japan. They did not care what it cost. I never found out who this person was, perhaps a CEO from large corporation.

10. diamondsouled

I think it is the same there as it is here. You have some folks who don't know the value of old/used audio gear and will put it out with the trash and then you have folks like us who pick such stuff up and save if and when they can. I have a friend who lived in Tokyo and he saw complete systems by the curb somedays. Large Marantz receivers etc.. There is more need for conservation of living space there though, that might be the factor that differs the most.

11. goldleaf

goldleaf Super Member

There is a vendor out of pay-bay, Ken Audio, which is Japan based. I think the Japanese SET audiomaniacs respect old amps and good design, and there is a small but dedicated group to the old equipment around. It's connecting with them that seems hard to do because of language.

12. goldleaf

goldleaf Super Member

13. diamondsouled

Great link! :yes:

14. Ballylongford

Ballylongford AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree. Thanks OP