Anyone still have a Godfather's Pizza in their town?

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Have you ever realized that many thing that you loved as a kid aren't really all that good when you retry it as an adult. As an example: Retro video games (sounds cool to play again, bored after 5 minutes), movies you liked (meh as an adult), you get the point.

As a kid I used to love Godfather's. The cheese would stretch a mile, the sauce was delicious, the commercials had that Telly Savalas look alike on there (or was it really him?). We lost our Godfather's at the end of the eighties, along with Long John Silver's, Shakey's, and A&W (locally). So back to my first paragraph: as an adult and if you have a GF's pizza, is it any good or was I just excited to eat out as a kid?

Long gone here but I don't miss it. Never thought about it. We have so many choices now I know are better. My son just got his first job down the road at this great microbrewery / pizza place with awesome pizza AND beer. Great place to hang out and proud dad that son's first job is at a brewery LOL.

Anyway, nostalgia is usually better as a memory I found. We are making new ones. :thumbsup:

There is still one in the Salt Lake valley. I haven’t been in years.
Last time I went I was disappointed. Their pizza was great, from what I remember, when I was young. Fresh ingredients, lots of cheese.

Have you ever realized that many thing that you loved as a kid aren't really all that good when you retry it as an adult. As an example: Retro video games (sounds cool to play again, bored after 5 minutes), movies you liked (meh as an adult), you get the point.

As a kid I used to love Godfather's. The cheese would stretch a mile, the sauce was delicious, the commercials had that Telly Savalas look alike on there (or was it really him?). We lost our Godfather's at the end of the eighties, along with Long John Silver's, Shakey's, and A&W (locally). So back to my first paragraph: as an adult and if you have a GF's pizza, is it any good or was I just excited to eat out as a kid?

No Godfather's now, no Godfather's previous and I never heard of them. I have heard of Long John Silvers and I have seen A&W's in the past. Shakey's? Never heard of either.

I don't think we lived in the same neighborhood. :idea:

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Maybe it's a classic symptom of geezerdom, but I think of Godfathers as "one of those new pizza chains". I fondly remember old fashioned, family owned pizza joints.
Was Pizza Hut the first national chain? I worked in one for a few weeks, until the whole night crew got fired for drinking up all the draft beer after closing time.

There's still a Godfather's Pizza in Greeneville TN, a county west of here, but i haven't been there in ages.

I vaguely remember Shakey's Pizza from my childhood. We never ate there, possibly because of stories about their use of dog food in pizza toppings.

Don't know if we have a Godfather's anymore, but we used to have a Shakey's I really liked. They had an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet with a bunch of different slices. I still remember the sign on the wall- "We have a deal with the bank- we don't give credit and they don't make pizza."

We have one in my town. It came back about 6 years ago after about a 30 year absence. Not as thick as it used to be. Probably an inch and a half thick compared to 2 plus inches then. They are expensive. Probably twice the price as the other chain pizza's. A good pizza though.

When I was growing up (in KCK), we had TWO pizza joints-Shakey's and Zepi's. That was it...only TWO. Both are long gone. I miss 'em, in a nostalgic way, as I imagine (in reality) the pizza wouldn't be the same as I remember it. Now, there are pizza joints everywhere. Hard to say if that is a good thing or not.

We have them here although they are sharing retail space with the Love's Country Store chain of convenient stores/gasoline type places.
Not sure if I recall seeing any Love's store outside my state but we have one in our community and the Godfather's pizza prepared in it is the best in town. We really like it!

Last edited:
We have them here although they are sharing retail space with the Love's Country Store chain of convenient stores/gasoline type places.
Not sure if I recall seeing any Love's store outside my state but we have one in our community of the Godfather's pizza prepared in it is the best in town. We really like it!

We have a Love's south of town right of the Interstate, gas prices are good!

Yeah, just up the street. I’m with you, I love Godfathers too! Been a staple here in Nebraska for a long time.

Just checked, we actually have 13 of them in and around Omaha.......

Have one about 5 miles. When I get pizza its either Godfathers or Rocky Rococo's. Both within a block of each other.

I really miss Godfather's. Takes me back to high school and college. I worked at a Rocky Rococo in college that opened up just off campus (poorly run, and closed pretty quick). Don't miss that one. Plenty of Shakey's around me (Los Angeles), but for a real treat, I hunt down a Round Table Pizza.

Godfather's had a sauce and cheese (lotsa cheese) flavor that was unique, IMHO. Their website says my hometown back in Iowa has one, and a few nearby. That's good to hear. Back before Pizza Hut had pan pizza, I think they had a version called "thick and chewy". That wasn't nearly as good as Godfather's. But Pizza Hut used to sell their Italian salad dressing in bottles at each location that I would love to find again - all these years later.

Long gone here but I don't miss it. Never thought about it. We have so many choices now I know are better. My son just got his first job down the road at this great microbrewery / pizza place with awesome pizza AND beer. Great place to hang out and proud dad that son's first job is at a brewery LOL.

Anyway, nostalgia is usually better as a memory I found. We are making new ones. :thumbsup:
Is the place a BJ's?We have one here,and I love it.

Use to eat there every Friday on Hamburger Road when I lived in Omaha NE in the early 1980's.
Could not do that today ... don't like extra thick pizza's anymore ... young mans game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom