Anyone surprised by the c26 or c28 preamp?

JT-3

I know, I know....another preamp thread. So I have a restored 2505 on the way. Torn on what preamp to get - I like the looks and simplicity of the c26 and 28 but worried about possible issues and SQ. I am only concerned about 2 channel SQ and aesthetics.

And clean/restored ones aren't exactly inexpensive, easily $600-$1200.

So, has anyone been impressed (or disappointed?) with a C26 or 28? Another option I have been considering is possibly a new NAD BEE preamp or integrated and simply use the pre-outs.

Thanks!

I had a c 28 it can have a lot of issues. It was the best preamp of its time, I would go no lower than a c29. the earlier SS are getting too old at this point.

I agree totally, C-29 will give much better performance, I had mine 30 years, its quieter, and for sure and you won't have the head aches that a C-28 will give you with the poor tracking volume control, input selector and low level inout connections. The only issue that I experienced with a C-29 is when you try to power big amps off the pre-amps switched plugs. The Ac power relay in the C-29 contacts will eventually arc shut and your amps will stay on whether the pre-amp is on or off. At the time Mac came out with a 20 amp power strip that operated off one of the auxilary ac pre-amp power outlets to activate the control of the Strip which plugged directly into a grounded AC wall receptacle. I still use the strip to day with my C-34 to power all the additional processors and sources my C-39 can't handle. For the Home theatre stuff, PC-4's, and modern power amps I use the 12 volt dc control voltage from my MX-120 to control power to the C-34, HT equalizers, crossovers, and other HT sources.

I was once tasked with rebuilding a mint condition,all original C-28 for a friend.On the bench,it still met all specifications.I used it in my own system for 2 weeks;one week driving my MC-240,one week my MC-2100,just to get a feel for it.Sources used were FM,CD and Phono. I didn't like it all.

After the rebuild (power supply,coupling caps and replacing most of the carbon comp resistors) using very good quality components throughout,it re-tested much better on the bench. While it did sound better,I still didn't like it at all.

The preamps it went up against were a Conrad-Johnson PV-5 and a McIntosh C-20,both in tatty,all-original condition,but still meeting specs.
We even tried it against (oh the horror!) an old Nikko Beta 2,just to get a transistor comparison; Disappointment and sadness ruled the day............

Just my 2 cents,for whatever their worth.

Oh the C28 isn't all that bad. It's weaknesses lie in the design - just too damn many potentiometers and switches that need constant maintenance - moreso than it's SQ. I hadn't used my C28 since we moved and pulled it out recently to set up a system in the front room to play some spooky music for Halloween for the misses (that the entire neighborhood could hear!). It took me ten minutes to find the source of the dead left channel - the top mounted gain. Exercising all of the controls in an effort to track down the problematic one showed me that it needs a complete treatment again.

Mc preamps beginning with the C30 used sealed potentiometers to alleviate this problem. It didn't, but they're far better.

I have a C28 and have tried it against 5 other preamps (both SS and tube). It is still sitting in the center of my system because nothing has knocked it off yet.

I dont want to like it, I would rather have something there that is more, say, "fun" that's tubed, but I just havent found it yet.

I had always wanted matched Mc components since seeing my buddies' dad set up w/ MR77, 2105 and C26 in late 70s. The C26 and C28 were on my list. I settled on a CJ PV7 tubed to front my various Mc amps. Maybe one day I will get a C22 or one of the newer tubed units.

what were the other five preamps?

Vincent Audio SA-31 Hybrid
PAS 3
Aikido tube preamp
Adcom (forget the model)
Harman Kardon TP250 (Tube pre)
Yamaha Adventage 1000 (Modern AVR)
Pioneer SX-950 (as a preamp)

I owned both the C-28 & 2505 back in the late 70's. I bought them new, 6 months apart from each other. It truly was an impressive system.

In the early 80's I replaced the C-28 with the C-32. It was a night & day difference. The C-32 not only was
much quieter, it had oh so many usefull features.

Not that you wouldn't be happy with a C-28, but like others have suggested, you may consider the next succession in the product line.

''Oh the C28 isn't all that bad. It's weaknesses lie in the design'':rflmao:

That opens up so many opportunities............Nah,I wouldn't do that to you Damacman:rolleyes:. I'll keep my ''filter'' on:angel:

like I said, it isn't bad as far as how it sounds, it's just that Mac made better ones you can get for a small increase in the amount of money spent. fewer issues to contend with.

I have been using a C26 for the past 4 years. I like it and have had no issues except for the volume control went bad and got a replacement from audio classics. As far as I know it is still original minus the volume control.

Now listening to LZs " In through the outdoor " with it and it all sounds good or me

Never had any issues with my C28, and the sound was fantastic with the MR78 and MC2002, with the Infinity Modulus, very holograghic.

I love my c-28 it's a fantastic match for my mc-2105.I got mine at a pretty decent price and had it recapped which really improved the sound quality for me.I had the same issue with scratchy pots but i consider it a small price to pay for the sound i'm getting.

A c-28 has a warm sound as it was the last Mac to use discrete transistors as I remember. The C-26 was a fine pre-amp, I just didn't like them bringing the speaker leads from the amp into the pre-amp for switching. The C-28 switched line outs which was a better solution. O ther than that, I liked the C-26. I preferred the layout of the C-28 controls over the C-26, and that's why I jumped for a C-29 over the C-27, with the tracking precision volume controls. The older I got the less I wanted to have to pull a piece of Mac equipment periodically for servicing. So the C-28 went bye bye along with the tube amps and tuners and in came the C-29 and MR-77. I kept the C-29 for over 30 years and it served me very faithfully. The Only issue was having to clean pots and switches annually. My C-34 has now been with me over 5 years and the only control that is a little noisy is the balance control. Gold plated connectors makes a big difference, too, on preventing intermittent distortions and signal failures.

I ran a C28 with a 2505 and it sounded fantastic , but one day the right channel was dead. I opened the top and the right channel started to work again and been fine ever since.

I have a C 28 and I love it. The volume control just recently started acting up so I have to figure out how to handle that issue but beyond that, I'm leaving it as is.

My first piece of Mac gear was a C28 and I still have it and presently use it with my MC2125 amp. Knock on wood I've never had any problems with it and everything functions as it should. "Surprised by it".....probably more like I'm impressed by it that it's all original, still sounds great and functions properly even though it's over 40 years old

My first piece of Mac gear was a C28 and I still have it and presently use it with my MC2125 amp. Knock on wood I've never had any problems with it and everything functions as it should. "Surprised by it".....probably more like I'm impressed by it that it's all original, still sounds great and functions properly even though it's over 40 years old

Same here:beerchug:

*knocks on wood too*

I haven't had mine very long

Back
Top Bottom