Anyone surprised by the c26 or c28 preamp?

Wow, thanks for the replies. I heard the C26 has the variable loudness control for low level listening and the 28 does not have that feature.

With the C26, even though it has the leads you don't have to run the speakers from it?

I have the C24, C26 and had the C32. I don't have the C32 anymore, but I'm using the stock C26 daily. I of pare the C26 and the C32 side by side, and didn't hear a difference. Although I never compare the phono inputs. I have read that the C32 is supposed to be better after I sold the C32. I love the C26! And I got the C24 restored and I liked it very much when I've used it. It is a backup pre.

I also really like the Variable Loudness.

The leads are for audio distribution and headphones on the C26. You route the outputs from the power amp into the C26 and then you can connect to multiple speaker outs selectable at the pre. I tried it, but stopped using it. Too many wires coming out of the pre. But the option is there if you want it.

Wow, thanks for the replies. I heard the C26 has the variable loudness control for low level listening and the 28 does not have that feature.

With the C26, even though it has the leads you don't have to run the speakers from it?

The C28 has a loudness type function. I'm not sure if mine has issues, but I've read it's for low volume level, but when I switch mine on, it makes it sound really muddy. I turn the volume very low, and it sounds ok. That may just be how it's suppose to be?

image.jpg

Yes, loudness by design boosts the bass for low n volume listening, follow the research of dual loudness hearing studies done by Fletcher and Munson.

I am sure there is a owners manual in the akdatase which explains it's function.

The C28 has a loudness type function. I'm not sure if mine has issues, but I've read it's for low volume level, but when I switch mine on, it makes it sound really muddy. I turn the volume very low, and it sounds ok. That may just be how it's suppose to be?

View attachment 649098

The loudness control REALLY fills out the low end on my vintage Koss headphones. It really rocks those cans.

I enjoy the "presence" control more often than the loudness one.

Last edited:
It is right there in the owners manual, up to a 15 dB boost at 20 hz depending on the volume control position. 4+ dB gain in the midrange when presence is selected.

My C28 has just started noise in the on/off/volume controls.Wierd right channel noises.I turn it on and off,it clears up. Other wise it goes well with my Mc2105. With my Thiel2.3 's ,,MCD7008 ,& Magnum Dynalab Étude Tuner,I love the warm sound. The Mc 29 sounds like the next upgrade.

Decided to stick with the c26, feel it matches the 2505 better and I prefer simplicity. It's cheaper too. I plan to have it serviced, besides the basic deoxit does anyone have any suggestions as far recapping anything?

Attachments

• 1204150111a~2-2.jpg
    1204150111a~2-2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 49
Interfacing a C-28 with an amp can be a challenge if you haven't followed Mcintosh's recommendations in the owners manual. First thing you do is turn the volume controls on the power amp off. Then set the volume control of the C-28 to 12: o'clock, with the trim volume controls on top to the recommended marks. Then advance the volume controls of the amp to just above a normal listening level for your system. The loudness function is by passed when the main front volume control is advanced passed the 12:00 position. If the amp doesn't have controls then you turn off the top output level controls with the master volume control set at 12:00 and advance the top trim controls to the level just above your normal listening level. Now if you like to listen at low levels with only listening at concert levels rarely, this method will not work always. If this is the case then set the levels for that occasional concert level listening experience with the volume control at 12:00. Then when using the control at lower levels the loudness control should interface correctly.

I played with the C26 loudness last night for the first time, normally I try it while standing at it, say nah and turn it back down. But listened for a while this time, and really nice affect on the prokofiev han -na change cello sonata.

On the C-26, you don't have to route your speakers thru the preamp if you don't want to. This completely separate speaker switching function is only useful if you regularly switch between multiple sets of speakers. You can hook it up to your power amp, and run your speakers directly from the power amp. You do not lose any function of the C-26 except speaker switching.

On the C-26, you don't have to route your speakers thru the preamp if you don't want to. This completely separate speaker switching function is only useful if you regularly switch between multiple sets of speakers. You can hook it up to your power amp, and run your speakers directly from the power amp. You do not lose any function of the C-26 except speaker switching.

...and the headphone output...:)

I have a C28 and have tried it against 5 other preamps (both SS and tube). It is still sitting in the center of my system because nothing has knocked it off yet.

I dont want to like it, I would rather have something there that is more, say, "fun" that's tubed, but I just havent found it yet.
Roger that. I was totally surprised by this result after having read the shade thrown at it in this thread. Of course, mine might've already had the problems fixed prior to my acquiring it. There was an intermittent connection on an output lamp, but that was easy to fix.....

like I said, it isn't bad as far as how it sounds, it's just that Mac made better ones you can get for a small increase in the amount of money spent. fewer issues to contend with.

Old thread I know, but which model preamps are more reliable?

Mc preamps beginning with the C30 used sealed potentiometers to alleviate this problem. It didn't, but they're far better.

That proves correct through my experience of the C33. The volume knob and source switches seem bulletproof, which is a joy. I sometimes get a little noise when using the balance control, and less often when using the EQ knobs. In both cases turning the knobs through their ranges several times seems to take care of the problem for a while. At some point I'll open the case again and carefully clean the potentiometers. Meanwhile, it's barely an annoyance. Best preamp controls I've experienced yet.

That proves correct through my experience of the C33. The volume knob and source switches seem bulletproof, which is a joy. I sometimes get a little noise when using the balance control, and less often when using the EQ knobs. In both cases turning the knobs through their ranges several times seems to take care of the problem for a while. At some point I'll open the case again and carefully clean the potentiometers. Meanwhile, it's barely an annoyance. Best preamp controls I've experienced yet.

Thanks, still debating whether to go separate of simple integrated. Their preamps have so many controls, 90% of which I don't use.

Thanks, still debating whether to go separate of simple integrated. Their preamps have so many controls, 90% of which I don't use.

If you want an excellent basic McIntosh preamplifier, I'd suggest the C27. Another good choice is the C29 but will also be more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom