Anyone traded in camera equipment? What's your experience?

1970's Fan

I am thinking of trading in my Fuji Xpro1 and three lenses (18mm, 27mm and 35mm) to get a Nikon D7100 or D7200. I have looked at some companies and have narrowed them down to mpb.com as the best so far. I used to sell to Jessops years ago and they were great back then but now, if your camera is mint but you don't have the box, they downgrade your camera.

Dealers offer pennies on the dollar, but it couldn't hurt to see. You're better off trying to sell privately, especially as that's a desirable camera.

Dealers offer pennies on the dollar, but it couldn't hurt to see. You're better off trying to sell privately, especially as that's a desirable camera.
Yes, although I'm a bit nervous about selling on ebay, I think it's the perceived convenience of trading in that made me think of going down that rout. On Trustpilot, a good number of the reviews say people are quite satisfied with what they get from mpb. I might just phone them and see what they say. I have sold a Hasselblad film magazine on ebay a few years ago after my 500CM locked up and it went through successfully. I should try not to be so indecisive.

Why not try selling here in Barter Town first?
Duh! What am I like? I should have thought about that. I have a habit of visiting the same forums for ages (it's that very enjoyable smile forum to blame :D). I'll have a look at it for examples. I would feel comfortable using Barter Town. I'll get some photos of the gear and make a start on that. Thanks.

I am thinking of trading in my Fuji Xpro1 and three lenses (18mm, 27mm and 35mm) to get a Nikon D7100 or D7200. I have looked at some companies and have narrowed them down to mpb.com as the best so far. I used to sell to Jessops years ago and they were great back then but now, if your camera is mint but you don't have the box, they downgrade your camera.

I tried to sell a Nikon D200 body with the battery holder grip to one of the used online buyers a few months ago. KEH originally offered me more than B&H or MPB. I sent them the body and grip with original cartons and all that came with it. The body was in excellent condition, but they downgraded it once they inspected it and offered me less money. I had them ship it back to me. They paid for shipping both ways. I posted it on CL the day it arrived back to me and I sold it the same day for $50 more than their original quote. YMMV. I also posted it on BT, but it didn't last locally.

I just ordered a used Nikon AF 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye from MPB yesterday. It's supposed to be in like new condition for $435 instead of $772 for a new one. I'll report back when it arrives.

Last edited:
I just sent my camera off this morning. I had it on barter town but no replies. I know It wasn't on long but I'm an impatient ol' thing. The MPB I sent mine to is in Brighton, England. The evaluation they sent me at first was £120 more than the camera I wanted to trade for so they said if nothing changes, I will get the camera I want plus £120 back. I'm sceptical regarding trade in but hopefully, if they down grade it, it won't be too bad. Back in the 1990s, I used to take stuff to a Jessops store and back then they were really good but the last time I went with my Contax RTSII and 50mm Carl Zeis lens, I came away shocked at how different it is now.

I just sent my camera off this morning. I had it on barter town but no replies. I know It wasn't on long but I'm an impatient ol' thing. The MPB I sent mine to is in Brighton, England. The evaluation they sent me at first was £120 more than the camera I wanted to trade for so they said if nothing changes, I will get the camera I want plus £120 back. I'm sceptical regarding trade in but hopefully, if they down grade it, it won't be too bad. Back in the 1990s, I used to take stuff to a Jessops store and back then they were really good but the last time I went with my Contax RTSII and 50mm Carl Zeis lens, I came away shocked at how different it is now.

I'm assuming the lens I bought is coming from New York, but who knows? I suppose it doesn't matter. They're shipping it for free.

I just got an email this morning from mpb telling me they got my camera and have finished their evaluation. Nervously, I phoned the number they gave me (I always double check numbers etc. on emails.) and a lovely giggly girl told me their evaluation was not downgraded. This means that, not only do I get the D7100 I wanted, but they are also paying £120 into my account! Yay!, yahoo! Etc. Ok bananas, start dancing! :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

Well that's pretty cool!
Do you have to spend the 120(sorry, don't know how to put that pound sign in) at their store, or is it good anywhere?

I just ordered a used Nikon AF 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye from MPB yesterday. It's supposed to be in like new condition for $435 instead of $772 for a new one. I'll report back when it arrives.

I just got an email this morning from mpb telling me they got my camera and have finished their evaluation. Nervously, I phoned the number they gave me (I always double check numbers etc. on emails.) and a lovely giggly girl told me their evaluation was not downgraded. This means that, not only do I get the D7100 I wanted, but they are also paying £120 into my account! Yay!, yahoo! Etc. Ok bananas, start dancing! :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

Congrats on your deal. I ordered my lens on Sunday and it arrived on Wednesday. It looks like new and works as described. I haven't had time to use it much yet, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it already.

Got my camera and checked the shutter count on it (11,779). I put a screen protector on both the top panel and the back screen. At first I thought there was a problem with focusing but it's more than ok. It's quite a bit different than my D3200 so it'll take me a while to get used to it. I took a couple of pics and the details at a distance is far better than the D3200. I'm very impressed!
DSC_1699.jpg
Street Sign.jpg
Little House Across The Loch.jpg
Hillside.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom