Anyone tried a Chinese Marantz 7 clone?

winters860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
There's a variety of them that hit eBay now and again. I know they're functionally stripped down, use PCBs rather than point-to-point wiring, are made with cheap Chinese components,and don't look a whit like a Marantz, but there's a chance I might be able to touch one in real life, unlike a real 7.

Has anyone actually bit the bullet on one of these? Impressions?

Dazed and confused

So, lemme see if I've got this right: they don't LOOK at all like a Marantz 7, they aren't BUILT anything like a Marantz 7, they have fewer FEATURES than a Marantz 7.

So, why do you call them a Chinese Marantz 7 clone??

Yer pulling our leg, right? :pistols:

"Clone" is not the right word for those things. They're far from the original. But I'm also interested if anyone has tried one of those Chinese Marantz 7 things.

if u wanna have the real thing buy one!!!! how sad to even think bout buyin a not even close clone.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several Kits of parts based on the line amp circuit of the Marantz 7 line stage available from either Hong Kong or China. Most with good to very good components, most with regulated power supplies and dc filaments as well.
But the Marantz 7 circuit, I found, has a dominant mid range that may only well paired with the Marantz 9 power, otherwise, pairing with other power amps will find that the system lacking bass.
Clone, definitely is not

Kamakiri said:
How'd you find the info? Let's have a looky see.

All you have to do is go to Ebay and search Marantz 7 and a number of them will pop up. A lot come up down below in the Ebay stores section. I think most of them just use the "Marantz 7" name in their title and say dumb things like "based on the famous Marantz 7 tube preamp..." I doubt they follow the circuit too closely from the little I looked at them. They don't don't use the same tubes for instance?

I have one of these "Music Angle" Units. I am no audiophile, but I have a nice 100w pc power amp and this thing sounds pretty sweet as it's pre.

I have a friend who works with tube gear all the time and he took a look inside. His opinion was that the unit was well made, used good components and was good value for money.

I have had it for 2 months now and it's been a revelation when it comes to listening pleasure for me.

I can take some pics of the insides if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested to see what sort of passives (caps, e.g.) they used, so, yes, please do post some looks at the innards if you're so inclined.

Melbourne said:
I have one of these "Music Angle" Units. I am no audiophile, but I have a nice 100w pc power amp and this thing sounds pretty sweet as it's pre.

I have a friend who works with tube gear all the time and he took a look inside. His opinion was that the unit was well made, used good components and was good value for money.

I have had it for 2 months now and it's been a revelation when it comes to listening pleasure for me.

I can take some pics of the insides if anyone is interested.

Yes! Pics would be very nice as I was thinking about picking up one of those myself. :yes:

thanks

A while back a friend of mine bought one and i asked him to bring it over for a listening test.
I allso looked under the hood and i think it's build good.
The components used are allso good quality.

I connected it to the model 500 and can give only a positive comment on the Chinese guy.

The re-issue 7c are a little more reasonable the original....

I don't think those Chinese PCB things can actual sound like a 7c.... Personally a refurb 7t will be a lot closer.....

jlk

A while back a friend of mine bought one and i asked him to bring it over for a listening test.
I allso looked under the hood and i think it's build good.
The components used are allso good quality.

I connected it to the model 500 and can give only a positive comment on the Chinese guy.

What ever happen to your 7c ? Or was it an 8b that you came across?

jk

Back
Top Bottom