Anyone tried a Chinese Marantz 7 clone?

The 7 and 8B are still here, no worries. ;-)

ddz40.jpg

Last edited:
Some are labeled "Music Angle" and some are "Music Angel".

I considered buying one until I noticed that they couldn't even spell the bloody NAME consistently on the faceplate.

I was using a couple of Fishers, a 1000A, all restored...then I bought a set of Dared VP20's.

I always thought the Sansui would be hard to beat, but the Dareds did it. When I found the right valves for it, it really got sweet.

The Music Angel may not be a Marantz, but I would not be afraid of the Chinese gear. A lot more inexpensive, and you may like it better.

MHO,
Chas

I have had them removed from ebay a couple of times for misleading adds as they stated Marantz name as in built by. I notice now they are more careful. Calling this a clone is like stating your Geo is and escalade.

Do a search for "Marantz amp" and look for red in the thumbnail pics.
The first time I saw that I thought somebody painted a Marantz.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...;)

OK, only took 20 months to get some pics. Had the setup apart for a clean, and since someone had been on the thread recently, thought I would take some pics for you all.

3548717358_a30a6de2fc_b.jpg

3547905185_fa51442672_b.jpg

3547903455_240cec4051_b.jpg

3547901773_e882cb5f1f_b.jpg

Case is very solid and the connectors are of a decent quality. I have had the amp for 2 yrs now without any issues and to my untrained ear it still sound superb.

Money well spent for me, an audiophile might disagree.

Another internal pic on their EBay ad ...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MA-Ref-Maran...|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50#ebayphotohosting

Voltage: 110V - 240V AVAILABLE
Weight: 13kg
Dimensions: Length 470mm x Height 370mm x Depth 110mm
Frequency Respond: 10Hz ~ 40KHz+/-1dB
Input voltage: 100mV - 2000mV
Signal/Noise Ratio: 89 dB
Vacuum Tube: 6z4 x1. Amplify tube 12AX7 / 6N4x2, 12AU7x1
Supply Voltage: AC110V / 60Hz or 220V / 50Hz
Power Consumption: 45W
Input Jack : 3 Groups

Last edited:
Impressive,much more goodies in there than the mid 90's pioneer amp I
opened up last week.How is the sound? will it push big 12" woofers?
How does it compare sound wise to say a 2215 or 2220 or is it more
in line with a t-amp? wpc?

Impressive,much more goodies in there than the mid 90's pioneer amp I
opened up last week.How is the sound? will it push big 12" woofers?
How does it compare sound wise to say a 2215 or 2220 or is it more
in line with a t-amp? wpc?

I can't compare the sound beacuse I have only really ever had one decent set-up and this is it.

I run it with a 100wpc power amp - made by McLaren of New Zealand in the early 80's - these power amps have a fearsome rep. I also have a pair of vintage Pioneer CS811a speakers.

The sound, to my untrained ear, is fantastic. I first noticed the separation of instruments. I can easily hear each instrument and voices stand out superbly.

Below 20% of volume the strength of this setup doesn't show. I work from home, so when no-one else is around I can crank it up to 30% and really hear the benefits. It is an especially nice setup for well produced music. Classical, acoustic and jazz all sound superb. It does a great job with classic rock - which is where my listening usually lies.

One thing I have noticed is that it makes you really appreciate music that has been really well recorded and produced. Fleetwood Mac and Supertramp both sound brilliant - both bands I would previously have considered too middle of the road for me. It is the separation of the instruments that has changed my perception of these recordings.

Sorry I can't be more help. My experience doesn't let me give you a technical rundown on the sound quality. My experience suggests that for US$200 these amps are a good buy.

The build quality also looks as though that any future problems will be easy enough to repair as the PCB work looks pretty good.

Hope that helps.

Mine says "Music Angle" on the front and "Music Angel" on the back - but IMHO a Chinese electronic engineer's skills cannot be measured by his command of a language that he hasn't been brought up with. I'd hate to be judged by my command of mandarin.

Give one of these a try - I reckon you'll get most of your money back pretty quickly on EBay if it doesn't suit you.

I've got a Music Angle (Angel) Pre Amp I bought from a guy in the U.S. for about 2 C-notes, sounds pretty good, its hooked to my Carver m1.5t. Sounds ok to me running through my JBL L65's.

That picture shows some quality work. :thmbsp:

I have a Meng integrated tube amp that sounds incredible. Get complements all the time. Looking at buying another of a different model.

Chinese Marantz 7

I could tell just by looking at the plates on those tubes, that it will not sound very good. A few years back, I had build a few Marantz 7 circuit from scatch, and was using Telefunken tubes with point to point wiring. They sound just great. I was using super regulated 12 volts on the filament, and no reglation on the B+ at all. But I was using a choke on the high volyage B+ though. From trial and errror, I found the with regulated B+, the sound was a bit too hard for my taste, so I opted to use just choke and high value caps instead. In those chinese 12AX7s the plate is so tiny, they look more like the high frequency 6DJ8 tubes. From my expereience, I never found the 6DJ8 tube to be very smooth. Yes, it does hit you on the first 15 min. of listening, but after about one hour, you get so tense, that for sure you will need a few drinks to calm you down.

I have what might be a couple of dumb questions about this unit. First, there are 3 inputs but there appears to be 4 input toggles on the front. (CD, AUX, TAPE, VIDEO) What does the 4th one do? Second, where is the power on/off switch? Thanks.

I have what might be a couple of dumb questions about this unit. First, there are 3 inputs but there appears to be 4 input toggles on the front. (CD, AUX, TAPE, VIDEO) What does the 4th one do? Second, where is the power on/off switch? Thanks.

First off read my signature. There is no Video input. I run my Blue Ray to the Tape, works great. They probably planned to use it at one time. The control to the far left is Off/On/Off. No tone or balance controls but a good pre amp doesn't need them. Less is more. Mine sounds amazing.

I have seen several of these from one supplier. Sadly there is no way to verify that it is the same circuit as the Marantz 7's linestage. Surely it doesn't have the tone controls and phono stage the the 7 had.

IIRC, it is a board. It is missing tubes, chassis and a power supply all the way back to the power cord.. But the prices are not good but not bad. So someone else should have to try it first.

Last edited:
This is strictly a line-level preamp that "looks" like a Marantz. There's been
a number of PCB designed around the Marantz 7 but none that I've seen
are any more than the line level side.

There's an earlier board, LS-7B, that uses 3 12ax7s and 2-5687 (for power)
and the one in the picture uses 2 12ax7s and a 12au7 (MLS-7L).

The 12au7 is probably used as a cathode follower and is probably better
suited than the 12ax7 for output impedance and drive current.

In any case, the line stage of most preamp designs back in the
day, were mostly 12ax7 in cascade and if high-end, added a CF.

You could call all of these Marantz 7 designs.

These PCBs out of China are very well made and can be ordered
by Ebay from Hong Kong. Some of them come assembled and
just need a case, switches, RCAs, and a transformer.

BUT, BEWARE, the circuit designs may be unstable, incorrectly
designed, or simply dangerous to use. If you have the knowledge,
these PCBs can be nudged back from the brink with very careful
attention to design parameters.

regards
Bob

Back
Top Bottom