Anyone tried a Chinese Marantz 7 clone?

This is strictly a line-level preamp that "looks" like a Marantz. There's been
a number of PCB designed around the Marantz 7 but none that I've seen
are any more than the line level side.

There's an earlier board, LS-7B, that uses 3 12ax7s and 2-5687 (for power)
and the one in the picture uses 2 12ax7s and a 12au7 (MLS-7L).

The 12au7 is probably used as a cathode follower and is probably better
suited than the 12ax7 for output impedance and drive current.

In any case, the line stage of most preamp designs back in the
day, were mostly 12ax7 in cascade and if high-end, added a CF.

You could call all of these Marantz 7 designs.

These PCBs out of China are very well made and can be ordered
by Ebay from Hong Kong. Some of them come assembled and
just need a case, switches, RCAs, and a transformer.

BUT, BEWARE, the circuit designs may be unstable, incorrectly
designed, or simply dangerous to use. If you have the knowledge,
these PCBs can be nudged back from the brink with very careful
attention to design parameters.

regards
Bob

Usually the sellers feedback will tell the story. I would beware of sellers with low feedback or high negative feedback numbers more so than where it comes from. Many high dollar top end audio dealers have their products manufactured in China and other countries. Then some of the builders take these designs and slap a different name, box, or both on them and sell for much less. Happens with almost everything made now days. Amps, guitars, flat panels for TV's etc. I have a 42" SVA from China, same SVA that makes computer monitors. It has a Samsung panel in it. I got it cheap back when the plasma's were very high dollar. Still works perfectly. Just one example.

I can tell you this pre I have has been owned by three American's, I'm the third, and it sounds and works perfectly. Better than most pre amps I've heard in my 47 years.

I would say go by what people who own them more so than people making generalized claims, mostly base on where it is made or what name they refer to it by. Emotiva is a Chinese made brand. A company in TN with a sales manager named Vincent Chen. Good quality control and components are what makes good sound. Not meters, test gear, and who and where it is made.

For what its worth, firstly, I do like some of the Chinese Hifi on ebay etc, I have nothing against it. I owned this amp and then sold it. I found it to have the tone slanted towards the treble. Bass was very light. The whole sound in general was thin. Detail was quite veiled.
the volume pot was of poor quality, the selector switch was cheap and nasty. The silver knobs are thin plastic and feel so cheap. The wooden front panel looks much better in the photos than in real life.
Overall the sound was very poor for the money. I would recommend that anyone should AVOID this amp like the plague. I lost money buying this amp, I read many positive reviews of it and was so shocked and disappointed upon hearing it. The moral of the story is to check the credentials of those who are giving positive reviews. I consider myself to be an audiophile and have good hearing and sense of good sound. Anyone else who considers themselves like me. keep your money in your pocket and don't make the same mistake I did.
With regards. E

Last edited:
For what its worth, firstly, I do like some of the Chinese Hifi on ebay etc, I have nothing against it. I owned this amp and then sold it. I found it to have the tone slanted towards the treble. Bass was very light. The whole sound in general was thin. Detail was quite veiled.
the volume pot was of poor quality, the selector switch was cheap and nasty. The silver knobs are thin plastic and feel so cheap. The wooden front panel looks much better in the photos than in real life.
Overall the sound was very poor for the money. I would recommend that anyone should AVOID this amp like the plague. I lost money buying this amp, I read many positive reviews of it and was so shocked and disappointed upon hearing it. The moral of the story is to check the credentials of those who are giving positive reviews. I consider myself to be an audiophile and have good hearing and sense of good sound. Anyone else who considers themselves like me. keep your money in your pocket and don't make the same mistake I did.
With regards. E

I once owned a McIntosh amp that had issues. I would hardly recommend against buying one from a single experience. May be why so many reviews are positive for this pre. :yes:

I sold mine and Audiogone and the Audiophile that bought it was very happy. :thmbsp:

I once owned a McIntosh amp that had issues. I would hardly recommend against buying one from a single experience. May be why so many reviews are positive for this pre. :yes:

I sold mine and Audiogone and the Audiophile that bought it was very happy. :thmbsp:

Respectfully, the amp worked just fine. It just sounded like $#@%

I find that too often, there are very positive reviews of many pieces of equipment, often by non "audiophile" types, and when making their first step up from their boombox think X or Y component is fantastic. The few "negative" reviews are from people are not actually reviews but rather comments by naysayers who just wish to rubbish relatively "cheap" equipment without actually hearing it. Perhaps as an anti Asian bias? I posted my comments, because a) I owned and listened to the amp and gave it a good go.
and b) in the hope that It may save someone from the mistake I made.
I am experienced enough to realise that this amp was NOT a mismatch with my associated components but rather just a poorly engineered pre amp with cheap nasty components and wiring inside and a poor track layout - it was not salvageable
Of course this is all IMO. But I stand by my comments. :)

Last edited:
I have a Magnet PV-02 valve pre-amp which I owned before the music angel, and still own it. It is stunning with its construction and sound. It uses 5687 tubes.
it is discontinued now, but Magnet now makes an updated model, which I would love to hear. I'm sure it too would be stunning. Comparing the magnet to the music angel was like chalk and cheese.
here is a link to the new Magnet pre-amp:
http://www.magnet.co.th/eng/product.php?lang=eng&productid=14&categoryid=2

And no, I don't work for or have anything to do with Magnet. :)

HUH??:saywhat:
It was so good you sold it??
Cant have been that good :lmao:

If I didn't know any better I would say you're attempting to start a flaming war. Ain't gonna work.

I've sold many excellent items in my life. Doesn't have anything to do with the sound quality. I wanted something with more options. I got the options but not the sound quality. I plan on buying another Music Angle soon. I sold a BMW M3 once. ;)

Ever hear the saying "you never how good it is until you lose it"?

If I didn't know any better I would say you're attempting to start a flaming war.

Frankly the same could be said of you.:yes:
What? I'm not allowed to say it how I hear it??
All you want to do is argue that I am wrong. I never once said my comments were absolute. I always said in my opinion! Which I am entitled to!

If I owned something that sounds that good, I would not sell it. Period! I only sell stuff I don't like, or have replaced with something better.

I like Audiokarma because for the most part people are friendly, and say it how they hear it and people are accepting of that!

I think this thread is more balanced with my comments on it rather than not.

Potential buyers of the music angel should be aware of the bright tonal balance, and a lack of finer detail, and the cheap nasty components inside and out- the comments I made before.

I'm getting bored of this back and forth.
If you like it, fine, go buy another one, and good luck with it.
I am thrilled to be rid of it:D

This thread reads like a couple of marketeers for some Chinese tube brands are trying to Astroturf their gear on Audiokarma. Notice that neither of them has any significant number of posts! And speak English most awkwardly (grin).
Just my opinion, and my 2 cents!

Time to grow up. I haven't read all the posts but it really is time to put brand envy away.

Much of the Chinese stuff is admittedly built around circuit designs that may have been around for decades except the components they use are often better...and certainly better than ancient capacitors.

To avoid the criticism of it not costing far more than it's worth, like a 60 year old Marantz 7 for instance ...it has to perform well to counteract the crass prejudice and bias that still exists in the minds of some.

I have a single ended class A pre amp, balanced in/out built around class leading op amps, a beautifully neat circuit board, a UK sourced transformer and ALPs pot. Transparent, silent and vanishing distortion. I have a "three valve" mm/riaa unit...superb neat board, sounds sublime now I have upgraded the ax7 tubes. Feeds a Chinese powered balanced/unbalanced unit, complete with a beautifully milled ali front panel and accurate machining all round....zero hum at 100% volume advance on the pre, the normal listening level is around 30% on the volume control with inky black silence from the 100dB/watt monitors

And a pair of linear power supplies feeding rme adi-2 dacs

Very happy bunny....and "saved" ...(read, not wasted) £1,000's for the sake of vanity and showing off my kit because it has the "right' brand names on the front.

Dazed and confused

So, lemme see if I've got this right: they don't LOOK at all like a Marantz 7, they aren't BUILT anything like a Marantz 7, they have fewer FEATURES than a Marantz 7.

So, why do you call them a Chinese Marantz 7 clone??

Yer pulling our leg, right? :pistols:
A clone of the basic line stage of the 7, as I understand.

If Saul and Sid didn't build the 7 themselves, whether it be tube or transistor, it's not a true Marantz in my world, but merely inspired. Look for the Woodside, New York address on the rear apron.

Back
Top Bottom