Anyone tried the New Sony ST-SA50 ES?

Whitehall

You see these all over eBay for $400 new, in box, with warrantee.

I found the owners manual (copyright 1999) on www.Sony.com and the specs looks pretty good but $400 buys a great vintage rig. But it's still digital and you get to peck in the pre-set IDs. It does have two antenna inputs, attenuators, narrow/wide filters, etc.

Anyone take a good listen to these machines?

Never read anything particularly good about them. The tuner it replaced in Sony's line-up, the ST-SA5ES, which is probably one of the rarest of Sony's tuners, was outstanding, as are most all the earlier ES series digital tuners from Sony. Just be careful you don't end up with one that requires their weird interconnect cable. But the ST-SA50ES has always gotten ''ho-hum" reviews. Have always wondered why there are so many on eBay. This has been going on for 3-4 years.

I have owned the earlier ST-S707ES for 6 years, a good piece, but it got slashed, slashed, slashed, by the 1978 Denon TU-850 which replaced it.
Besides the old ST-5000/F, 5130/5150 or a couple of the 1980s biggies, I don't think Sony put much effort into its tuners... As proof, I'd take the numerous rebadge/versions which were carried between 1989 and 1995 - and the later ones (ST-SAxES units) probably had a lot of the older ones in them I'm sure...

The ST-A6B is a good one too that Sony made. I just popped over to fmtunerinfo and saw the're now using the pics of mine I think I uploaded to the yahoo group eons ago. Cool to see an example made of one's one gear!

indeed devoid!
Whitehall,
go spend less cash on an ST-A6B and have still much better sound :)

That's about what I suspected but it great to get the word from people with more experience that I.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom