Anyone try any of the Schiit products?

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Looks like some excellent DACs and headphone amps.

Oh- and I spelled it wrong in the title. It's Schiit, not Schitt.

The humble BiFrost DAC has been getting rave reviews, is low cost, made in the USA, and is upgradable- the whole line, in fact, features modular, upgradable viscera.

Only thing I don't like is the name. But looks like the founders have a good sense of humor.

Oh- the founders (the blurb from their site)-

"...For lack of a better phrase, we are “audio industry veterans.” Our two product designers come from Sumo and Theta, respectively. At Sumo, Jason Stoddard designed the following products: Polaris II, Polaris III, Andromeda III, Ulysses, Ulysses II, The Ten, The Five, Athena II, Diana, Artemis, Theorem, and Axiom. At Theta, Mike Moffat designed the Theta Pre-Amplifier, and at Theta Digital, designed the DS Pre, DS Pro, DS Pro Basic, and many other products..."

http://schiit.com/

I read an interesting DAC comparison recently. I'll try and find it when I get home..it was a survery of a number of affordable DAC's. I was considering the Bifrost for my wife. After that read the Peachtree DACiT rose to first place. The Peachtree unit has really been getting raves...in other words, Paul...no, I haven't tried it.

You'll probably find more info on the Bifrost on the Head-Fi.org source components sections. There are many threads dedicated to the DAC and the especially the Lyr headphone amp. Seems like their products are good deals. I personally went with an Audio-GD DAC which is also popular with the head-fi crowd.

I've been looking into the bifrost and have decided to wait for the gungnir (balanced dac) which should be out sometime this month according to the schiit site. Pairing it with their mjolnir headphone amp is also tempting.

Schiit is good

thedelihaus:
I bought a Schiit BiFrost after living with a Musical Fidelity V-DAC + V-LINK setup for quite a while. I also have an AudioEngine D1 and a Muse TDA 1543x4 DAC on desktop systems. The BiFrost (a non-USB version @ $349 because I am using an optical TOSLINK output from my iMac) is by far the cleanest and most transparent of the three. However, what really made up my mind (and has me saving for their new Gungnir) is their customer service. While I was researching DACs, I had a couple of conversations via email with Jason Stoddard. He was very patient with me (I'm a true technomoron) and answered my ill-formed questions completely. Even after I had bought and set up the BiFrost, I was able to get answers to lingering questions. The only other vendors that I have had with that kind of customer support are Magnepan and B & K. I think Schiit is good.

I also own a bifrost, had good communication with Jason, and bought the bifrost upon reading Skylab's Headfi review. All checked out, the unit arrived, and I accidently plugged it into the chain with the switch on. I immediately heard a larger more detailed soundstage, and it was a difference that was not subtle by any means. I listened and listened for it to go away, and it kept getting better! I've had it for months now, and there's such an improvement that I wouldn't (and haven't) listened without it since. I would really like to audition the new schiit DAC but haven't found the need. I briefly review it in my blog (http://mindseyemusic.blogspot.com). Check it out and leave a comment. There's plenty of good reading there. I started it back in May 2012 and try to add stuff daily (doesn't always work out that way).:music:

Last edited:
At first I thought the title said - Has anyone tried any of the "Schlitz" products. :)

Well, nobody makes malt liquor like Schiltz, look out for the Bull. Excellent to drink while you are listening to your new excellent piece of Schiit.

Paul, I really like mine. I too am planning to upgrade after i get done with a few other projects. When I first got it I found it bright, after a few days it settled in a bit. It is now paired with my Scott 299C and I preferred this pairing to the tube Dac 09 that I had on this before.

I also have a Bifrost and am very happy with it. The sound is very neutral and was a nice improvement to my squeezebox touch.

Paul, when I bought my Sim Audio DAC it was between that and the Bifrost. It came down to a report of a clicking bsound when the Bifrost changes sampling rate so I went with the more expensive Sim. I still think highly of the Bifrost, especially since Schiit will upgrade them for you with future upgrades.

I had a Valhalla headphone amp that sounded sweet with my AKG K701s. That Schiit wasn't getting used enough so I sold it. I kind of miss it sometimes.

Jason was always great to deal with. I bought my little brother some Schiit for Christmas, an Asgard. He uses it with his Grado 325s and likes it.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom