Anyone use ChromeCast Audio for Amazon Music?

E.Auer

Anyone cast Amazon Music from the PC app to CCA?

I use Amazon Music a lot, and currently have a Asus phablet hooked up to my receiver for that but I'm planning to get a CCA and not sure if I can Cast Amazon from my laptop to that.

Couldn't find anything definitive on the webs...

TIA

Eric

Amazon and Google are rivals. I doubt you'll see Chromecast support in Amazon Music anytime soon. Best to get an Echo Dot.

Anyone cast Amazon Music from the PC app to CCA?

I use Amazon Music a lot, and currently have a Asus phablet hooked up to my receiver for that but I'm planning to get a CCA and not sure if I can Cast Amazon from my laptop to that.

Couldn't find anything definitive on the webs...

TIA

Eric
You can cast (mirror) Amazon Music from a Chrome browser tab on your laptop. No native CCA support for phones/tablets.

You can cast (mirror) Amazon Music from a Chrome browser tab on your laptop. No native CCA support for phones/tablets.
If you want to cast Amazon Music from something other than a PC (as above) you'd need to go iOS and use AirPlay. You could pick up a used iPod Touch/iPhone and either an Airport Express or for $25 the GGMM M-Freebox which is essentially the same. I'm doing that as I type. My old 4S running Amazon Music app > GGMM.

image.png

If you want to cast Amazon Music from something other than a PC (as above) you'd need to go iOS and use AirPlay. You could pick up a used iPod Touch/iPhone and either an Airport Express or for $25 the GGMM M-Freebox which is essentially the same. I'm doing that as I type. My old 4S running Amazon Music app > GGMM.

Wonder if the GGMM would do the same on a Android device with the Amazon app?

It mentions Android, but I really don't trust anything anymore unless I hear someone saying theyre actually using it... :p

Edit: Nevermind, Android only works for local music.....

Eric

Wonder if the GGMM would do the same on a Android device with the Amazon app?

It mentions Android, but I really don't trust anything anymore unless I hear someone saying theyre actually using it... :p

Edit: Nevermind, Android only works for local music.....

Eric
Correct. I have a Kindle Fire HD. The Amazon Music app on it does not support AirPlay. Search eBay/CraigsList/Facebook Marketplace for a cheap Apple product that supports wifi, then the GGMM will be your best bet, and it's cheaper than a CCA (not that $35 is a deal breaker).

I think I have a solution.
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/

Testing it now and I am indeed streaming Amazon Music to a AppleTV Gen 2 that I have not used in a while.

The AppleTV has optical out so now I just need a DAC, Tho it sounds pretty damn good as is.

Eric
Yes, AirFoil will stream to an AirPlay device but it has a cost. What's your overall plan and what are you connecting to?

View attachment 879998
:idea: Not quite sure why this was directed (quoted) at me, but yeah iOS is more CCA Amazon forgiving than Android. I've had an Airport Express in my lineup for several years as well as 2 CCAs, a Dot, and a GGMM Freebox so I'm good to go. I was simply 'quick reply' addressing the OP's direct question as to what he had on hand. In any event, great over all advice to the OP Rocky. :thumbsup:

That said, while the GGMM Freebox is super affordable and "works", in my experience it was much more flaky & finicky than the AP or the CCA. Setup hoops with different networks, device quirks, and inconsistent drops, etc.. It's since been retired and is on reserve for "emergency only" duty. :oops:

:bigok:
:idea: Not quite sure why this was directed (quoted) at me, but yeah iOS is more CCA Amazon forgiving than Android. I've had an Airport Express in my lineup for several years as well as 2 CCAs, a Dot, and a GGMM Freebox so I'm good to go. I was simply 'quick reply' addressing the OP's direct question as to what he had on hand. In any event, great over all advice to the OP Rocky. :thumbsup:

That said, while the GGMM Freebox is super affordable and "works", in my experience it was much more flaky & finicky than the AP or the CCA. Setup hoops with different networks, device quirks, and inconsistent drops, etc.. It's since been retired and is on reserve for "emergency only" duty. :oops:
I quoted you because you were referring to PC casting on behalf of the OP.:beerchug:

Funny how our experiences differ. The CCA was "router sensitive" for me but the GGMM wasn't. I still use it and an APE.

Last edited:
Yes, AirFoil will stream to an AirPlay device but it has a cost. What's your overall plan and what are you connecting to?

Sure it costs a bit, but now I don't have to buy a CCA so there's that. I like to make use of things I have, and the Apple TV Gen2 is a nice, well made device.

Overall plan?

Laptop->AppleTV->Dac-Nikko 715->Mirage FRX-1's.
The Nikko will also have a TV, Tape deck and possibly a CD Player as well.

The Asus Phablet will become a part of the new System I still haven't worked out for my office (Under Construction).

Eric

I have a Kindle Fire HD. The Amazon Music app on it does not support AirPlay. Search eBay/CraigsList/Facebook Marketplace for a cheap Apple product that supports wifi, then the GGMM will be your best bet, and it's cheaper than a CCA (not that $35 is a deal breaker).
Kindle doesn't support natively Chrome Cast Audio either (lack of Google Play Services). You need to use something like BubbleUPnP to "glue" them.

Kindle doesn't support natively Chrome Cast Audio either (lack of Google Play Services). You need to use something like BubbleUPnP to "glue" them.
I went through an Android phase when I first got a CCA. Too cumbersome IME. Quite happy with iOS.

You can easily find instructions on the net for downloading a script which will install Google Play services on Amazon tablets. I have done it on a 7 and an HD8. Rooting is not required. I use mine with CCAs and Google Play Music all the time.

You can easily find instructions on the net for downloading a script which will install Google Play services on Amazon tablets. I have done it on a 7 and an HD8. Rooting is not required. I use mine with CCAs and Google Play Music all the time.

Not using a Amazon tablet or Google play services.

Originally I wanted to have a wireless stream from a Android Phablet using Amazon Music to a CCA.

I found a easier way to do it tho, as I posted above. More practical for my situation.

Eric

On my older (2nd gen) Fire 8.9 I wasn't able to make them work.

I was able to get Google Play Services and the Googlecast app (or whatever the old name was) on my Fire, along with BubbleUPnP. I had no money invested in the Fire as it was a gift from my employer (other than the $15 I spent to disable ads).I bought a cheap no-contract Android phone to continue the investigation of that platform.I just found the whole experience to be more complicated than necessary since I was already immersed in iOS.I have several "retired" iPhones and an iTouch I can reach to for CCA and AirPlay casting so that's what I do (plus more current 6S and iPad devices).

I do enjoy the experimental nature of this hobby but at some point I need to say enough already!

Here's another couple of options but they require rooting a Android Device (which I did).

Allstream will cast whatever the devices sound card puts out to to AirPlay, Google Cast, and DLNA (UPnP) devices.

I use it with a Apple TV, works great. I rooted a Asus Fonepad 7 and now use it as my dedicated streaming device.

Another one is AirAudio. Also requires a rooted device. Supports Apple AirPlay, DLNA, SONOS, Google Cast, Qualcomm® AllPlay™, Amazon Fire TV, Denon HEOS & Roku.

They are both very similar IMHO, and I'm still in a trial stage on both.

The full versions cost around $5 for each, so no big investments here...

So that's how I stream Amazon Music for now.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom