Anyone using the Emotiva Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy the gear it's not expensive try it out. I fell for it then realized the after a while just not happy. I got rid of it never looked back. That's just the facts. Almost everyone that buys anything loves and swears by it. After a while you may realize that it was not what you thought it would be. That is a fair statement is it not? What is so ambiguous about it? I changed my mind and I am being honest about it. If you think it's nonsense well your entitled to your opinion. I still think it's cheap junk. Hey, Sketchers are good sneakers, but they are not Nike's. You wear Sketchers?
Is that ambiguous enough for you?

So anything that meets your needs is great and if it doesn't or it falls out of your favor its "junk"? What happens if you get your sketchers and wear them for a few weeks, at first you like them a lot but after a while you realize that even thought they do everything you ask of them you would rather have a pair of Air Jordans. Do the sketchers suddenly become junk to you?

I'm still waiting for a detailed explanation (as current Emotiva user) what exactly was wrong and/or what exactly you didn't like? It is easy just to say "that it was not what you thought it would be". But what were your expectations and what was wrong? Otherwise this discussion just doesn't make any sense...

A friend of mine just bought the preamp, cd player, 300WPC 2 channel amp and all interconnects and speaker cables from Emotiva. He got everything setup and it seemed to be working ok till one day when he was listening at low volume the amp went dead. The left meter pegged and the right showed no output.

So, being as the stuff was only 2 months old, he called Emotiva for a warranty claim. They told him to ship the amp back to them in the factory packaging and they would fix it for him but that he had to pay shipping both ways. Ok, not too big of a deal.

Well, the amp arrived at their factory and was damaged in shipping. Mind you, it was packed in the original box with factory packing materials. Now they are telling him that the repair will be $350 plus shipping and the company is not taking any responsibility for the fact that the amp was shipped in the factory box. He may be able to file a claim with UPS, but still, if their packing materials arent sufficient.......

If you ask me; not the best way to reward customer loyalty. Everything in his system except the speakers are Emotiva. That might change soon. :thumbsdn:

I've had my XPA-2 since December. I thought there was an issue (see my prior post about it going into protection), but turns out one of my Maggie fuses was blown. Since I replaced the fuse, the XPA-2 has been rock-solid. Lots of power, sounds terrific. Fact is, since I got the XPA-2 and my IIIa's, I don't spend a lot of time here because I'm spending it listening ... :)

A friend of mine just bought the preamp, cd player, 300WPC 2 channel amp and all interconnects and speaker cables from Emotiva. He got everything setup and it seemed to be working ok till one day when he was listening at low volume the amp went dead. The left meter pegged and the right showed no output.

So, being as the stuff was only 2 months old, he called Emotiva for a warranty claim. They told him to ship the amp back to them in the factory packaging and they would fix it for him but that he had to pay shipping both ways. Ok, not too big of a deal.

Well, the amp arrived at their factory and was damaged in shipping. Mind you, it was packed in the original box with factory packing materials. Now they are telling him that the repair will be $350 plus shipping and the company is not taking any responsibility for the fact that the amp was shipped in the factory box. He may be able to file a claim with UPS, but still, if their packing materials arent sufficient.......

If you ask me; not the best way to reward customer loyalty. Everything in his system except the speakers are Emotiva. That might change soon. :thumbsdn:

The product failure could have happened to any manufacturer. Some are better than others at approaching zero defects, but none of them is perfect. That's why we have warranties.

The customer service failure is much more worrisome. If the amp was properly packed and was still damaged in shipment, Emotiva needs to step up and help the customer recover damages from UPS so that the amp can be repaired or replaced at no additional cost. If I'd been thinking about buying an Emotiva product, I would be much more reluctant to do so after reading marantzfan's post.

The XPA-2 is completely overrated on it's power output. In my particular case driving my Bose 901's, it quickly ran out if steam. My QSC 1400 pro amp circa 1984, at 200watts/CH powered them at much higher listening levels. Therefore it is my assumption that the Emotiva amp does not provide the claimed output power. My new Pioneer CS-37 powers them as loud as the XPA-2. That unit provides 140watts/CH and seems consistent to my findings. My VTL ST 150 tube amp also out performed the emo amp as well. Don't like to be fooled by false claims. Think about it guys, that amp costs 800.00 dollars! I fell for it big time, sucker born every day. Junk junk junk.

Last edited:
Even if the Emo put out only 1/2 its rated power the difference between that and the QSC is scant more than 1 decibel. Comparing the QSC to the Emo's full rated power the difference is less than 2 decibels. Both are virtually nothing in terms of additional volume.

If you don't like for what ever reason that's "whatever" but your claim about the power doesn't add up.

Last edited:
ledd4u, that is factually incorrect. I don't think you are knowingly lying, but independent tests have shown that the XPA-2 is underrated at it's 300wpc rating.

It is my understanding that cleaner power does not sound as loud as less clean power at the same output level. So you can keep turning up volume higher without realizing just how loud it actually is. Does this make sense? Could that be what is happening here?

Even if the Emo put out only 1/2 its rated power the difference between that and the QSC is scant more than 1 decibel. Comparing the QSC to the Emo's full rated power the difference is less than 2 decibels. Both are virtually nothing in terms of additional volume.

If you don't like for what ever reason that's "whatever" but your claim about the power doesn't add up.

Incorrect from the simple log power rule. 10log p1/p2 this coresponds to 1.76 db diff quite a bit. If scant diff is such that, even more reason not to spend your money on a scant of a diff in power. I actually had the Emitiva UPA-7 at 125 watts / CH originally. I called Emo and within my 30 days I traded up to the XPA-5 and the XPA-2. What a waste of time. If I had just kept my original UPA-7, I would not be posting all this nonsense. Truth of the matter is I really don't care anymore. I had the units and it's all hype. Feel free to buy that stuff if you want. I am happy with my Pioneer CS-37. Best thing I ever did. Guys really no sense beating a dead horse. I hope I did not offend anyone. I actually love AudioKarma and feel it's one if not the best forums around. My sincere appologies.

Last edited:

This is more what I often hear about Emo and from folks I know and trust...no thanks!

In any fiercely competitive market, this type of poor customer service is the fastest way to lose a potential lifetime customer. As the old saying goes... penny wise, pound foolish.

This type of poor customer service is the reason why I will never buy another BMW after having owned 4 of them even though I still think they're wonderful driving cars. Crappy attitude and response from BMW, NA... no thanks.

Incorrect from the simple log power rule. 10log p1/p2 this coresponds to 1.76 db diff quite a bit. If scant diff is such that, even more reason not to spend your money on a scant of a diff in power.

I actually gave the figures both ways, 1/2 power of the Emo compared to the QSC ("scant more than 1dB") and the QSC compared to the Emo ("difference is less than 2 decibels"). So, 1.76dB or "less than 2 decibels", regardless, it's scant difference in volume and I suspect the prime reason for your disappointment. You expected a bigger difference from 300 watts and didn't get it because of this very reason.

Nothing wrong with saying it didn't give you the bang you expected rather than calling the gear "junk" because of a reason like this. I've returned stuff that other people think is great because I didn't think it was worth the price, doesn't make it "junk" though. It was a good piece of kit, just not the improvement I expected for $1,000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom