Anyone using the OPA827 on the Maverick DAC1 Plus?

Yup ... D2 has three op amps ...

Some major differences between the D1 and D1+ as well. Selling point for upgrading here was the Tenor chipset used on the USB side. My go to mode and runs rings around the D1 hardware for sound quality. They also did some major cleanup on the signal path.

maverick-d1_naked.jpg

maverick-d1plus_naked.jpg

OK then ... it's official. There's little or no resemblance between the OPA627 browndogs provided by Maverick and those that come from Cimarron ...

opa627.jpg

Haven't had a chance to give a good listen yet. Worth mentioning - the Mav units have a notch for proper orientation. The official browndogs have the industry standard square #1 pin. Line that up with the notch marking on the circuit board.

FWIW, mine are different than yours. And have the 1 pin layout on the board.

5228F029-F0FC-4EFE-8D4C-F408F28D077F.jpeg

Also others bought the "9914" lot, that look just like these and they test perfect. Not saying they are not "fakes" but, test perfect and sound better than stock ones.

At least you can compare the totally different browndogs to these, sound wise. let us know.

I'm using Sparkos so doesnt matter to me anymore, also Ryan's ghosting has pretty much made me not want to do business with him in future... even though i love the sound from my Maverick D2 DAC.

Last edited:
Well I installed the OPA827's from Cimarron. Oh my heck...talk about a difference immediately! First off the gain was significantly more. I had to turn down my volume to half of what it was. The soundstage presence is more noticeable as well. All around it sounds so much better. Texas Instruments was spot on on their white paper by saying the 827 is an upgrade over the 627. And yes these are true blue 827's from TI. I can't prove if my originally supplied 627's from Maverick are fake or not but I will never use them again. Just the uncertainty alone makes me frown upon using them. Verify then trust.

Hope those 827's work for you......just wanted to mention that when I got my discrete Sparkos opamps the first two hours or so we're pretty wild. The sound was cool and very unique.....BIG.

After a couple hours the sound was back to ''normal". Don't know if all new opamps need a little time to mellow out or not but just wanted to mention it.

I have two D2's......one with Maverick's upgraded opamps and one with the Sparkos. Every once in a while I go back and compare to remind myself of how much better the Sparkos opamps sound. It almost seems like they get better as time goes on.

Probably not but they were worth every penny.

Hope those 827's work for you......just wanted to mention that when I got my discrete Sparkos opamps the first two hours or so we're pretty wild. The sound was cool and very unique.....BIG.

After a couple hours the sound was back to ''normal". Don't know if all new opamps need a little time to mellow out or not but just wanted to mention it.

I have two D2's......one with Maverick's upgraded opamps and one with the Sparkos. Every once in a while I go back and compare to remind myself of how much better the Sparkos opamps sound. It almost seems like they get better as time goes on.

Probably not but they were worth every penny.

I tried the Sparkos op amps with my Maverick DAC1 Plus but it was not compatible on the headphone side. Major whistling and spurious emissions. Had to return them for a refund. The DAC1 Plus is a different unit altogether from yours. Glad it worked for you. These 827's are worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom