1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone watching the new drama series "Manifest"?

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by MaxxVolume, Sep 26, 2018.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

New series offered by NBC (which I normally wouldn`t even watch, but there was something about the trailer), the premise here is Flight 828, taking off from the Bahamas, en route to JFK in New York, and landing (so they think) uneventfully, only to be met by a crowd of shocked people. Seems that it`s been five-and-a half years since the plane took off, and all on board were long ago presumed to be dead.
    Yet, whoever was on that plane has not aged one day.
    After an extensive debriefing, the "survivors" attempt to continue with their lives, some find a number of complications, among them, hearing strange voices in their heads.

The first episode was pretty well done, but will the series have what it takes to survive ?

jt01 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Eric H

Eric H AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds interesting, as long as it doesn’t end like Lost.

3. 91r100gs

91r100gs Lunatic Member

Watched the pilot last night. Thought it was very good. The ending has me worried that they will run out of ideas before long. They should look at the old series "The 4400" on what to do but keep it realistic.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  4. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

Watched it as well. Interesting pilot. It's got that Bermuda Triangle theory or alien abduction possibility going for it. Got the DVR set to record the series.

5. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Five and a half years from now, when the pilot re-airs, it won't look a day older either.

MaxxVolume and 91r100gs like this.
  6. NAD80

NAD80 Super Member

Watched it. Will watch the rest of the episodes if the writing is good enough. As long as the writers don't go on strike as they did with Lost.

7. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

It seems that there are few show writers that can sustain a consistent science fiction premise. A show starts with an interesting concept then slowly devolves to nothing more than another melodramatic "soap opera". The original premise is lost to the periphery with emotional conflicts and interpersonal problems becoming the focus. That's fine if you like that sort of stuff, but I prefer my science fiction to remain about its original premise. I know - old fuddy duddy.

Eric H and CT_Ohio like this.
  8. CT_Ohio

CT_Ohio Active Member

I missed the pilot. Can't say I was making time for it, as it's on NBC. My list of NBC sci-fi that I found worth watching in the last 30 years:

• Quantum Leap
    • SeaQuest DSV
    • Heroes

In other words, not much. The 4400 dealt with some sort of X-Men protein that each abductee had, doesn't sound like Manifest will go for post-human powers with this bunch. Can't compare with Lost as the gag was pretty obvious early on, so I stopped watching, but I would hope the showrunners for Manifest know better to chase that idea. There are a bunch of flight tracker apps that can pinpoint where the flight 'left' and where it came back, assuming no equipment damage to the transponder. If the pilot ep didn't at least touch on that, well boo on them. Examine the site of departure and go from there; find a few other planes that didn't come back or something creepy. Or both. Then maybe I'll watch.

Edit: Always good to brush up on one's TV Tropes, and they summed up the pilot episode (yes, spoilers. I like spoilers.) Result: it sounds horribly cliche'd. But now I'm curious enough to check it out, if only for the main character's huge eyebrows.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Manifest

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  9. Eric H

I agree, Lost was one such show, so many plot elements that had no real purpose in the end.

Fringe was probably my favorite Sci-Fi of all, they knew what their story was, where it was going and how it would end, consistent start to finish.

10. Eric H

I loved the first season of Heroes but heard it went downhill after so I never pursued it, maybe I should continue.

Manifest sound like several episodes of The Twilight Zone that involved Airplanes landing in the future or the past. I like that kind of stuff so I'll check it out.

invaderzim likes this.
  11. CT_Ohio

CT_Ohio Active Member

Yeah that's probably fair about Heroes although I stuck it out thru season 2. I think it had the advantage of showing on a night when I had time to watch.

12. prisoners

prisoners AK Subscriber Subscriber

Harvestor likes this.
  13. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

I hope they avoid doing what Lost did with each episode introducing multiple new questions and only half an answer. That can only go on for so long before it looks like the writers have no idea where the past items were supposed to lead and are just trying to add strange stuff.

14. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

Anything to do with Time ...
    Yes I been watching.....

So far it's been interesting.....

I'd like to jump through time..

15. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

Uncle Buck
    (Hughes, 1986)

* IMO one of Hughes' ... and Candy's ... best films. And little M. Culkiin was still (very) young, innocent, and played a delighful character.

16. qdrone

qdrone Music is my mistress

watching the 2nd episode now and I'm hooked. The story has so many tangents, I see a wealth of story lines to draw from.

17. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo Subscriber

Wrong thread Mystic. This is about Manifest, a supernatural, science fiction, drama that looks like it's starting to get complicated.
    It's interesting, I'l give it that.

18. Torontoblue

Torontoblue AK Lurker

I got quite bored of this towards the end of the pilot episode.

Too many flashbacks, and it just came across as a really soppy, give me another chance drama.

Don't think I'll carry on with this.

19. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

Dang it. That's what can happen when I post before I've had my first coffee!

20. DeeCee

DeeCee Super Member

Started recording it due (much to my surprise) from my wife’s urging; typically not her cup of tea. However I’m waiting for it to run out of gas as typical of this type of tv series.

Usually they tend to get yanked practically between commercial breaks! :D