Anywhere to buy fuses?

wianieq

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some fuses quickly. Normally, that would have been a reason to go to Radioshack but they have all closed in Omaha. I know that Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace carry some, but they usually don't have a wide selection and usually not what I'm looking for. I thought about trying Guitar Center but that is all town way across town from me.

I'm hoping someone has some ideas on places that carry fuses that I haven't thought of.

Going to Radioshack did become kind of a drag but I really miss it when all I need is a fuse or some generic resistor.

It is incredible how bad the selection of electronic parts is now.

Google 'electronic parts Omaha NE'. You have Surplus Sales which is a crap shoot, apparently an Allied which may or may not have a retail store with parts, and Great Plains Electronics which HAS FUSES. :thumbsup:

our local hardware shop sells them .but for the price of 3 or 4 i could buy a box full the same as their ones online .

Have you tried a local auto parts store?
Another vote for auto parts store.
Auto parts store
I would very much recommend against this, unless you're absolutely sure that the fuses they carry are rated for 125 or 250V. Automotive fuses are typically rated for only 32V. While I'm not 100% sure that this would matter, I generally wouldn't trust a part rated for 32V to last too long at 120V+. A regular hardware store like Ace or Home Depot may have a selection of tubular fuses (I believe Ace has them in the same set of drawers as mounting hardware and small screws). Also, there are still real electronics stores around, as tox noted above; there are no fewer than three stores within an hour's drive of where I live (including one within 10 minutes) which stocks all sorts of electronic components (more than Rat Shack did in their later years), including fuses. Good luck!
-Adam

Mixed result: Went to GC for a fuse for Marshall amp. 3A Slo-Blo. The counterman told me they don't sell fuses (liability issue? Crazy, right?) but he had one and gave it to me and told me to buy a set of strings "Or something". Sort of a plus 1, minus 1...

I would very much recommend against this, unless you're absolutely sure that the fuses they carry are rated for 125 or 250V. Automotive fuses are typically rated for only 32V. While I'm not 100% sure that this would matter, I generally wouldn't trust a part rated for 32V to last too long at 120V+. A regular hardware store like Ace or Home Depot may have a selection of tubular fuses (I believe Ace has them in the same set of drawers as mounting hardware and small screws). Also, there are still real electronics stores around, as tox noted above; there are no fewer than three stores within an hour's drive of where I live (including one within 10 minutes) which stocks all sorts of electronic components (more than Rat Shack did in their later years), including fuses. Good luck!
-Adam

Hmmm, you seem to be correct. Just looked online for one of my local auto parts stores and most are rated at 32 volts. And glass fuses seem to be a very small % of the fuses offered.
Not sure if that makes them unusable for audio purposes.
I know using a lower amp rating can sometimes be ok as some Infinity owners use 1 amp fuses instead of the 1 1/4 recommended. Quicker blowing = quicker protection is our thinking.
And I know in some cases a higher voltage rating is fine as well, just not sure about lower voltage rating, especially in low volt circuits like bulbs and speakers.

Ok, how about a good old fashion hardware store?
Maybe they still have glass fuses.

And there's always ebay, I've bought fuses on there, usually cheap with cheap or free shipping as well. Did have one package of 4 show up with one fuse crushed to pieces but many more have arrived intact.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I've dealt with Surplus Sales before. Weird experience and I don't think you can really just walk in and select items. You order and they call you back and you go to this sketchy warehouse back door and pick it up. It looks like Ace, Home Depot and Lowes are the only options. More often than not they don't have what I'm looking for.

I'll just have to try to build up my own stock to have on hand, I probably actually have what I need somewhere here but I'll never find it.

Thanks everybody.

Fuses are supposed to be higher voltage rated than the circuit.
That may exclude looking in auto stores or auto stereo stores, BUT it may also mean the those places could have them.

Offering higher rated fuses for sale means more potential application.
The local auto store carries Littlefuse and the supplier may not be worried about Auto only application.
Since 99% of DIY probably are not worried about proper type and will shove anything in the holder, the supplier may supply 250V just to eliminate some miss-application.

Fuses are safety switches to prevent electrocution and fire.
They do not protect the device.

-Adam
As long as the numbers pretty well match it will be OK.

The voltage rating on a fuse is the determinant of how quickly it will open past the point where an arc will carry. It is not akin to the dielectric rating of the insulation on wire.
You can use a 32 volt fuse in a circuit carrying 120 volts, and it will last pretty much forever, but when it comes time for it to sacrifice itself, it may not open far enough, quickly enough to prevent damage or fire.
It could be a liability issue if you install an incorrect fuse in someone else' gear.

Automotive fuses are typically rated for only 32V. While I'm not 100% sure that this would matter, I generally wouldn't trust a part rated for 32V to last too long at 120V+.

In general unless the fuse blows, it likely will not matter. The voltage rating for a fuse applies to the fuse's ability in time to quench the arc that occurs when the fuse blows when used with voltages higher that their rating. Depending on the specific fuse use this can be a safety issue.

Our local home improvement stores (Home Depot and Menard's) and our local fleet-farm type places all carry 3A slo-blow fuses. In both 5x20mm and the 1.25" (AGC-style?).

I am an Amazon Prime member and have had fuses delivered same day when I was ordering something else and within one or two days otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom