Anywhere to buy fuses?

My subwoofer blew a fuse when the speaker blew. It is one of those glass tube types, but very small. First place I tried was the auto parts store. Complete waste of time. Lowe's was no good either. I finally just wrapped the old fuse in aluminum foil...

If the new speaker blows, oh well...

If it's a powered sub, just hope it doesn't burn your house down. Fire protection is the primary reason for the existence of fuses.

Just hope your insurance adjustor doesn't find out about the foil wrapped fuse.

Auto parts store
o.png

Fry's Electronics maybe? Yes, and Autoparts stores are about the only local place anymore, but they usually only have the typical values. Maybe the ocassional ACE or TrueValue. Larger cities still must have electronics stores. We have one but they don't do a very good job carrying the stuff you think they would to be different than the other places.
I finally broke down and purchased one of those boxes of various sizes from PE when I was ordering something else not too long ago.

Fry's Electronics maybe? Yes, and Autoparts stores are about the only local place anymore, but they usually only have the typical values. Maybe the ocassional ACE or TrueValue. Larger cities still must have electronics stores. We have one but they don't do a very good job carrying the stuff you think they would to be different than the other places.
I finally broke down and purchased one of those boxes of various sizes from PE when I was ordering something else not too long ago.
My challenge was that it is a glass tube, but very small. Nothing like it at the auto parts store. And, frankly, they all seemed to be 12 volt. go figure. :)

Partsexpress or amazon if buying more than the free shipping threshold. Otherwise the shipping charge makes it not worth it.
Ebay for just plain *cheap*.
Look around ebay and find a low price with free or low shipping (fast n free is a good way to go if available) and good feedback score.
And remember, glass fuses come in fast or slow blow, and different lengths, make sure you choose the correct fuse for the job.

Menards also has a pretty good selection. At least here in FD.

Another thing Menards has that I often mention here are pin connectors for cable ends.
Handy for folks with spring clip terminals that don't accept large gauge wire.
They also have Dipole (T) antennas and baluns.
CRC QD contact cleaner too.

Last edited:
My subwoofer blew a fuse when the speaker blew. It is one of those glass tube types, but very small. First place I tried was the auto parts store. Complete waste of time. Lowe's was no good either. I finally just wrapped the old fuse in aluminum foil...

If the new speaker blows, oh well...

THIS SHOULD NEVER BE DONE
in case someone actually thinks this is a good idea.

DigiKey.

No minimum quantity and they will ship by USPS. So, it would be only $3 for the $0.50 fuse. ;)

As well, they will ship free if you send them a check or money order.
I just found them. Thanks! I need to yank that fuse out, unpeal the aluminum foil and get the numbers and measurements. Glad I found this thread.

Hope my house hasn't burned down. Nearest neighbor is 500 yards away and nearest fire hydrant is several miles away.

Back
Top Bottom