1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

AP Client Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by BartJY, Feb 11, 2018.

1. BartJY

BartJY Active Member

Hi Folks,

My WiFi router is on one side of the house, and my Internet ready TV in on the other side of the house. It's not possible to run a cable from the router to the TV. The TV is not capable of WiFi. So what I'd like suggestions for is, what is a recommended WiFi AP Client. What I'd like to do is run a cat6 cable to the WiFi AP Client. Then the client will connect with the WiFi router, then I can connect with the internet.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Bart

Please register to disable this ad.

2. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Take a tax deduction for donating your obsolete TV, buy a current one (open-box at BB knocks cost down), and save yourself a ton of WiFi aggravation. From now on, make sure ANY gizmo you put into your house has native WiFi support.

EJC1 likes this.
  3. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Find an old Linksys WRT54G et al router than can be loaded with DD-WRT or that has built-in AP capability.

Then again, it will depend on what sort of signal strength you get at that distance as to whether the link bandwidth will be sufficient to support streaming.

When you say one side of the house to the other, what is that distance and what is between for walls and such?

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

If I read the question correctly...you need to get Ethernet from your router (or modem?) to your TV?

As good as my WiFi is here now, I still don't like to rely on it for streaming. When I was streaming audio from my server (using my old router), 16/44.1 and 24/96 streamed reliably for the most part, but if I tried streaming 24/96 with 5.1 channels or DSD files, I got constant dropouts. Streaming an uncompressed BluRay disc (straight from its copied files, vs. converting it to an MKV file) also proved problematic at times. Would my current WAP stream it better? Perhaps, but I'm not willing to try it. Ethernet just works.

There may be network extenders that would work well for this application. One is a "sender" and the other a "receiver," where you can basically "extend" your Ethernet that way. Here is one that supports 200Mbps.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-200Mbps-Nano-Adapter/dp/B006OOKT3Y/

I'd trust that over WiFi, if I had no other way to extend a physical wire that far.