Apple called it, they are right about the 3.5mm phone plug

I really didn't care about the port, so it did not affect my decision to buy the phone. I believe they left the port out to make room for the haptic feedback engine (or whatever they are calling it). I don't know that the trade off for most people is worth it, but the old button on the phone would wear out and now they don't have to worry about that issue.

In my world, Bluetooth is not a direct competitor to wired headphones. It works as a convenience. I have a pair of Parrot Zik 2.0 headphones and they have an app that gives you all kinds of control over everything from EQ to how much external noise you get. They don't sound as good as decent wired headphones, but I find them more convenient. For wired headphones, I have been using an external DAC for years via the lightning port (and the old port before that) and it works for me. I also prefer Airplay at home and Bluetooth on the road and at work, so Bluetooth is definitely my most used method of listening to music.

Someone mentioned the lack of optical output in the MBP and I am disappointed by it, but I never used it on my old MBP. I am hoping that their desktop Macs don't follow this trend since I do use optical out on my old Mac Mini. I have the new MBP and don't really mind using dongles on occasion. I have one USB-to-USBC, one HDMI to USB-C (still haven't used it, but will be nice for travel) and one thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 and they work for all of my needs. I really wanted the speeds of thunderbolt 3 that products will eventually take advantage of. These type of ports add tons of future capabilities that you can't get from old ports. The fact is that all of the USB-C ports are backward compatible with pretty much anything they had in the old Macs, while still offering huge speed advantages for future products. Yes, we have to deal with dongles for now, but for my daily use, it is a small price to pay and not really the big deal that everyone makes it out to be. I think they could have thrown one USB-C to USB adapter in the box, but it was only $9 to add it (probably cheaper from third parties now), so not really a deal breaker.

(as a side note, I believe the new MBP is overpriced and underpowered for some uses. I got the Mac for my birthday, so price (for me) wasn't an issue. The thing has plenty of power for my needs. It will be a long, long time before I have a real need for 32gb of RAM)

Last edited:
A few rockbox folks have DAPs with 1tb SSDs in them. Just sayin.

RockBox; What a great alternative OS for early iPods.

I was checking the prices of the now discontinued Hitachi 1.8" HD and it would be cheaper to install a SSD. There are several places you can send an iPod to that will install the 160gig HD found in the final model of the iPod.

RockBox; What a great alternative OS for early iPods.

I was checking the prices of the now discontinued Hitachi 1.8" HD and it would be cheaper to install a SSD. There are several places you can send an iPod to that will install the 160gig HD found in the final model of the iPod.

Meh. Apple devices are literally the least of the devices you can install rockbox on. i think most of the 1tb conversions have been in very old iRiver players like the H240.

I wouldn't bother with spinning media at this point. Just use an adapter for an mSATA SSD like this one - https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-sata/

the vast majority of decent sounding headphones being sold are wired headphones... I want a 3.5mm jack there is no reason for apple or anyone else to delete it..

that said I do frequently use my Elecom BT receiver / headphone amp w/ my M50's while out and about.. but I want to be able just just plug the headphones in also.

Anyways this is the Bluetooth thing I use .. it was quite inexpensive at about $40~ when I got it but they seem to be more now..

elecom.jpg

Again, there is a Lightening Y connector so you can charge and listen to headphones at the same time ...
$10 here ... https://smile.amazon.com/adapter-Walo-Lightning-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B01N6BPIHD/

Sadly this seems to be yet another one of the cables with a counterfeit Lightning chip set in it. You can always tell when you read the reviews, Apple is very tight on the spec's and if the iOS device detects anything out of line of the Lightning chipset it will not recognize it. There are issues with security, and with battery charging with the fake chip sets. I'll wait to get such an adapter cable when Anker comes out with one, Anker Lightning cables are actually better the Apple's and they have the Apple certified Lightning chip set in them.

>>>>Does Apple pay per post or per thread or how does it work<<<<

I am something of an Apple/Mac fan, but I have to admit I laughed for quite a few minutes...

GJ

You would think this was true all an online outfit like the "Daily Mail" needs to do to generate hits on it's site for ad money is to have an story about Apple. Instantly the comments will become a massive flame war between Apple Fan Boys and Apple Slam Boys. I got fried in my own juices when I mentioned I had a "Touch 5". It was nastily pointed out that it was "Apple iPod Touch 5", another time I mentioned that I finally talked my parents into an iMac. You would have sworn I had just murdered my parents for their life insurance money. :D

You would think this was true all an online outfit like the "Daily Mail" needs to do to generate hits on it's site for ad money is to have an story about Apple. Instantly the comments will become a massive flame war between Apple Fan Boys and Apple Slam Boys. I got fried in my own juices when I mentioned I had a "Touch 5". It was nastily pointed out that it was "Apple iPod Touch 5", another time I mentioned that I finally talked my parents into an iMac. You would have sworn I had just murdered my parents for their life insurance money. :D
Fanatics on both sides. It is one reason why people post about Apple stuff and why people with no real interest feel compelled to "thread crap". I am a fan of most Apple products, but I don't hate their competitors. I own Google, Samsung, Amazon, and Microsoft products, so I can't really scorn their users or products with any legitimacy. I am thankful that there is competition to continue to move the ball forward.

I am no fanboy either as I tell people I am so deep into the Apple ecosystem that getting a Android phone as good as they are just would not work for me. There is an interesting parallel from the past. At one time there was a war going between Harley Davidson, and Indian motorcycle owners. There where know down drag out put the boots down fist fights over the issue. I had people explain to me in detail why each marque was the best. Looking at the 2 motorcycle now from a mechanic's point of view do think the Indian was a much better constructed motorcycle then the Harley Davidson but we are talking about the early 1950's so it really is a moot point now.

P.S, if you want to how to tell a government worker it is easy we do not know how to spell the word from, it always come out as form. ;)

I am no fanboy either as I tell people I am so deep into the Apple ecosystem that getting a Android phone as good as they are just would not work for me.
That really is the secret sauce of Apple and people outside the ecosystem can't really understand how the ecosystem helps build loyalty to the company's products. That being said, I don't really see as many true-blue Apple fanatics these days as we saw in the Steve Jobs era. Many of the "fans" spend more time complaining about Apple than complimenting them these days.

The main thing that kept me from Android over the years was the lack of Airplay. Though, I strongly considered a switch back when Apple was refusing to make larger phones.

I don't own anything from Apple and never will. I can't stand earbuds either. :thumbsdown:
What surprises me the most is that some people actually make monthly payments to own a phone. :wtf:
My Android was $100 and it does what I need it to do. It makes phone calls, texts, takes an occasional photo, and I can use it for the internet if I'm not home. With that being said, cell phones amaze the crap out of me, considering I grew up with 3 TV channels and party lines on a rotary phone.

Last edited:
It'd be nice if this thread was still about the merits of Bluetooth headsets.

I am always leery of spending money on a good headset when BT is changing and evolving quicker than other forms of wireless transmission, primarily wifi. What if I spent a bunch of money on a headset right before AptX dropped? Bluetooth 5 just came out, how does that effect the quality and efficiency of existing headsets? I'm afraid I'll spend a few hundred bucks just to find out that the shiny pair of wireless headphones I just bought are now outclassed by a more up to date protocol.

Back
Top Bottom