Apple nightmare for ipad and .....

I have NOT had any bad experiences with paypal -
I prefer to use it and "buffer" my credit card behind it!
I use it the same way. I am not worried about Apple having my CC, though. Through ApplePay, I can hide my credit card from less trustworthy stores ( which most are less trust worthy than Apple, in my opinion), so it all works out for the better in the long run. :thmbsp:

Personally, I would use ApplePay for everything, if it was possible.

I don't have much interest in comparing all the different competitors. I just use whatever fits my needs the best at the time. Typically, it is Macs, since I can also run Windows via Bootcamp or VMWare fusion , but that is getting less and less necessary with VNC being better than ever.

I have a 2011 MBP that I have augmented to run SSD from the optical drive bay. I had the logic board fail and they fixed it for $310 (it failed every test in the store). When I got it back, it said it was caused by a graphical issue and I noticed that there was a recall. I called Apple and I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with them and a Senior Supervisor is sending me a check for a refund. Not bad for a out of warranty, augmented 4 year old, heavily used laptop.:banana:

Last edited:
I use it the same way. I am not worried about Apple having my CC, though. Through ApplePay, I can hide my credit card from less trustworthy stores ( which most are less trust worthy than Apple, in my opinion), so it all works out for the better in the long run. :thmbsp:

Personally, I would use ApplePay for everything, if it was possible.

I don't have much interest in comparing all the different competitors. I just use whatever fits my needs the best at the time. Typically, it is Macs, since I can also run Windows via Bootcamp or VMWare fusion , but that is getting less and less necessary with VNC being better than ever.

I have a 2011 MBP that I have augmented to run SSD from the optical drive bay. I had the logic board fail and they fixed it for $310 (it failed every test in the store). When I got it back, it said it was caused by a graphical issue and I noticed that there was a recall. I called Apple and I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with them and a Senior Supervisor is sending me a check for a refund. Not bad for a out of warranty, augmented 4 year old, heavily used laptop.:banana:

Agree, agree, agree.

Personally/Professionally, I'm a 40/60 Apple/Windows user daily driver wise. Professionally I run proprietary server software that's Windows bound 24/7.

Personally, I run across issues with both...monthly/yearly,, yada. Who doesn't? They are after all just machines, not churches. Personally, I rarely have any major or incessant issues with either. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Personally speaking of course. ;)

I guess since I'm "in the business" I personally inherently bypass alot of the casual/typical troubleshooter whoopsie/WTF/duh factor when problems crop up. Shit...that provides 50% of my income.:D

My day job. It entails servicing and supporting a myriad gizmos. Mainly desktops and laptop computers. Which include Windows, Android, and OSX/iOS platforms for my clients; software and hardware. All have their unique issues and resolutions. Professionally, I engage a gob of folks daily that have both major and minor problems within their wired world. heh, minor is relative as to them it's major if they can't fix it.

That said, I have (over the past 15 years) hundreds of builds and rigs in the field from Joe Blows to commercial service contracts. Overall I experience the least grief and hassle by far case by case with warranty and hardware issues with Apple. Why? Cause universally it's above average gear and simply put, you are paying up front for a goodly portion of service and support. When something goes sideways, typically it's fixed or replaced Johnnie spot. YMMV on what and when that's a penny wise pound foolish factor.

They're all just computers; and when they break all suck. All I can say is that in my experience, my phone rings disproportionately less on my Apple customers than it does a Windows rig. And when it does ring with an Apple botch/bitch...it's typically a much more gracious and immediate fix than it is with a PC.

That's bottom line business fact, not fanboy tripe. I do this all day long and as a rule Windows rigs cost me more (time and materials) to service in or out of warranty. Ergo, at the end of my day that cost is passed on.

And yes. The concept, science, and security behind Apple Pay is way more solid than traditional avenues of payment. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Just a follow up: I got my check in the mail from Apple yesterday, so I am a happy camper!:banana: Also got the SSD back on board and everything is running like new!:thmbsp:

They need to steal Nerf's slogan... "It's Apple or Nuthin'" because that is the absolute truth, they dictate how you use their products, not the other way around... if that's for you, great, if not, consider alternatives. I have a MacMini, but don't claim to be too keen on Itunes or any I device of any kind because of the proprietary nature of Apple.

A thought on software upgrades - it appears the life cycle of both Macs and Windows machines is getting longer.

I have a mid-2010 white Macbook that's running the current OS X version (10.10.5 if memory serves). Here's the one important caveat: this Mac has memory you can upgrade, unlike many Apple laptops, which have memory soldered to the motherboard. That meant I could bump the ram on this computer to four gigs, and I replaced the hard drive with a solid state drive. The machine isn't a speed demon, but can generally stay out of its own way. OTOH, some Macbook Airs of this vintage had two gigs of memory, which just isn't enough to run anything past 10.6.8.

Likewise, I have a not much newer Lenovo T420 that's running Win 10 Pro. I bumped it up from four to eight gigs, and replaced the HD with a solid state drive. I have less than $120 into it.

s.

Back
Top Bottom