Apple to start making their own CPU’s, about time

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by transmaster, Apr 3, 2018.

1. transmaster

transmaster Addicted Member

Clock speed is not the whole story what the people were laughing at was the petulant tone Intel had at the time. I was studying the history of these companies and you find out that Intel, and AMD upper executives had a "history" which all started with a group that were later called "The Traitorous 8". By the time of the 1 GHz chip event the members of this group had moved on or had retired but the bad blood between the two companies remained. This rivalry is what attracted the group I was running with. We could not afford Apple computers, they didn't run our software, and the people who had them were snobs. We went with AMD they were cheaper anyway. In those days, circa 1990, in a computer crowd if you said you used AMD processors the Intel people looked at you like you were at a PETA meeting eating a ham sandwich. We loved it.

The differences between the Apple and PC world were demonstrated to me the first time I went to an Apple Store. I had made my appointment at the "Genius Bar" (I was laughing when I did this online) I was there to get an iPod Touch replaced under warranty. The store lay out was interesting but what did it was a lady came in carrying an iMac, she was in tears, It was like she was bring a sick Dog into a Vet'. The Genius patiently calmed her down and fixed her iMac. The lady left overjoyed that her friend was working again, you know that lady was an Apple acolyte forever. Coming from the PC world it would have been 'piece of crap in the trash'. Did you get the Hard drive out; ya, cool. I walked out of the store realizing that Apple, Steve Jobs, was a marketing genius. I was taking care of my parents PC, not computer literate, always problems. I finally purchased them an iPad and they have been happy ever since.

Cadillac Kid likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

Off topic I know, but I must of missed it. When did Apple surge to 7.4% ? They wallowed for years with about 3.5%.

3. transmaster

The latest figures I could find is 2016 this from Apple Insider.
    https://iphone.appleinsider.com/art...as-windows-continues-to-cede-share-to-the-mac

Here are some newer figures from MacRumor The 2017 Q1 figures are 6.8%
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/11/q1-2017-worldwide-mac-sales-up-amid-pc-decline/
    The total PC market is shrinking but Apple is maintaining their share of this market.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  4. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

Thank you for the macrumors link. Interesting information from Gartner. I guess the phones and tablets will consume everything in the coming years. PC sales stated seemed a bit anemic and what a surprise with Apple having 12% of the domestic market. I never would have thought it would happen, but trends change as evidenced by the drop-off in desktop computers sales that started a some years ago.

5. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

Data gets bigger but screens get smaller.

AI gets smarter, but UI gets dumber.

Three quarters of all IT is make-work.

SSSSSssssssshhhhh! Don't tell...

6. transmaster

MacRumers is a good place to go for Apple information, also iMore. What amazes me is how the direction we are going in computing is following what I have read in 55+ years of the reading of Science Fiction. I see visible computers disappearing you will have something like a bracelet, or something around your neck that will send information to a visor, or a pair of glasses. But the Anime series Ghost in A Shell is where I see things headed.

7. Pete B

Pete B AK Member Subscriber

Bring back the Alpha processor!

8. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

there's another side to the whole apples-in-the-enterprise/homes/schools.

AAPL has this policy to suspend updates to earlier models. iPhone iOS, Mac OSX,
    and pads, etc. this creates a falloff over time.

next is if AAPL decides to go non-intel, then without an emulation of x86/x64 code then
    all existing MAC OSX laptops, desktops are immediately obsolete but still excellent
    for Windows use. Imagine an i7 for chump change. as it is, the MacBooks that
    don't "qualify" for High Sierra are dropping to about $100.

(which are excellent buys for their core-duo and better CPUs when even
    newer netbooks only use C60/C70 AMD and Intel Atom CPUs -
    convert to windows and run past AAPL deadlines)

then AAPL proclaims 32-bit apps may not be able to run uncompromised. looking
    at 32-it iOS apps, first refused uploading, then refused execution. Now apply
    for MAC OS. removing all 32-bit cores, modes, architectural features means more
    room for the necessary additions to have the remaining 64-bit apps run. Faster
    than 2020's i11/Xeon class CPUs with 100+ threads at 5+Ghz turbo?

hazard a guess about emulation (check out past history when PPC apps ran) for
    previous Intel x64 (only) code?

the good news is that AAPL has/had the number 1 slot for brand loyalty so unlike
    audio, recovering one's investment in audio, is not relevant, so expect a landrush
    to the new Macs and hopefully they run some merged version of Mac OS and iOS
    and I get touchscreen.