Aquaman

CT_Ohio

Hell of a movie. Visually ambitious, and the story isn't entirely awful (vs some DC properties I'm less fond of). Not sure I can judge the audio as my crew was seated in the last row, tough to get a feel for the surround sound. But I'll bet this would be a fair test of one's HT setup.

It was loud, like all movies in my local. C'mon guys, turn it down, I'm already half-deaf.
Otherwise, visually festive undersea fantasy fun. Jason Momoa makes it work.

Just came back and I enjoyed it alot. Saw it in IMAX 2d with a great thunderous sound system. Dolph Lundgren? I thought he was dead. Williem Dafoe has now been in both DC and Marvel super hero movies.
Great movie for an escape day, visually stunning and the acting was good.
Great one for parents and their brood.

Just came back and I enjoyed it alot. Saw it in IMAX 2d with a great thunderous sound system. Dolph Lundgren? I thought he was dead. Williem Dafoe has now been in both DC and Marvel super hero movies.
Great movie for an escape day, visually stunning and the acting was good.
Great one for parents and their brood.

lol, I didn't even recognize Dolph until the credits.

Pio saying Jason makes it work, I think that's especially true when considering the other DC heroes. Gal Gadot makes a wonderful Wonder Woman, and everybody loves her. Momoa's a very likable guy, or plays one at least. OTOH, Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill make Batman and Superman unsympathetic and/or just unlikeable characters. Just watched Man of Steel for the first time and Cavill just can't act to save his life. A big body in a suit, like so many other early movie hero types (Johnny Weissmuller, lol). So glad Aquaman went the other way.

Last edited:
like this one. Jason Momoa has "swagger" and a sense of humor, which is something that their heroes seem to lack. Maybe they're finally learning from Marvel.

like this one. Jason Momoa has "swagger" and a sense of humor, which is something that their heroes seem to lack. Maybe they're finally learning from Marvel.
Ryan Reynolds did that for the deservedly 'R' rated but refreshingly irreverent Deadpool.

Interesting. I have read some people’s comments where they thought the second was even funnier than the first.
The second had its points, but it tries too hard to be funny instead of letting the irreverent outrageousness carry the load as did the first.
The first was really a refreshing take on a genre that suffers from taking itself way too seriously, but it's hard to pop the same sack twice and get the same effect as the first go-around.
Maybe I'm being too hard on 2 and I should see it again, but I remember the whole being less than the sum of it's parts.

lol, I didn't even recognize Dolph until the credits.

Pio saying Jason makes it work, I think that's especially true when considering the other DC heroes. Gal Gadot makes a wonderful Wonder Woman, and everybody loves her. Momoa's a very likable guy, or plays one at least. OTOH, Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill make Batman and Superman unsympathetic and/or just unlikeable characters. Just watched Man of Steel for the first time and Cavill just can't act to save his life. A big body in a suit, like so many other early movie hero types (Johnny Weissmuller, lol). So glad Aquaman went the other way.
I may be in the minority but Affleck's The Batman for me at the age that Bruce Wayne is at fits his personality. The Batman character hasn't been a happy person for years, hes had an emotional hard life. Affleck's portrayal as flippant imo is spot on.

Interesting. I have read some people’s comments where they thought the second was even funnier than the first.

Deadpool 1 retained at least some pretense of being a superhero origin story. Deadpool 2 was pure comedy, and it did that very well by being able to go way over the top, which conventional comedies have not done for a long time, imo.

See, that's the problem with the whole DC comic universe - I am SO sick and tired of yet another roll in the weeds of Superman, or Batman ... and i read today there is yet another film of Joker on the way. WHO CARES??

I've seen those properties massacred ad naseum since the 60s - DC needs to do something NEW.
Thank god they brought out a new spin by doing Wonder Woman, and Aquaman.
Thats why everyone has rushed to the Marvel films - they are NEW and interesting -
tho X-men may be getting near over-done with the Phoenix story coming soon.

And I'm over the DC-TV shows - I TIVOed the whole Flash season last year (been watching since it started)
and I could barely find time to watch them at the end of the season, and killed the season pass after I had.
Everyone as a speedster is just too much, tho I did like Grant Gustin, the actor playing Flash - he's the only reason I watched as long as I did.
The need to continually reuse the Harrison Wells actor got old and tired real quick. He's neither camp nor funny! Ugh!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom