Aquired a Marantz 8b

I originally posted about this in the tube section, and it was suggested I post here since there could be more information to be had. This link is for that post.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/marantz-8b-find.745595/

I have only read about this amplifier and do not have any real knowledge about them other than they are considered highly desirable. I was hoping to find a replacement parts list in the manual I downloaded but it wasn't included.

Feeling pretty lucky to own this beauty, hoping to get a nice 7C preamp someday to pair it with. :thumbsup:

View attachment 831565 View attachment 831566
Hello. I was in a Good Vibes store in Champaign, IL. I think they have a 8B. It was 1 owner with original spec and bill of sale. It's for sale, $2500. I think it's an 8B. He said 35 watts. No cover. They have to be amazing. I'm new to Audiokarma. I have 2 - 4300's. Charlie.

Most of the differences are internal. Generally but not always, the Marantz logo is on the transformer cover on the 8, and on the front chassis apron on the 8B.
Look in the back of the transformer cover, if there is one naked transformer on the same end as the meter, it's an 8. If all three transformers are canned, it's an 8B.

Hi,
I have rebuilt a 7c and my 8b was found in good shape so I havent done anything to it. I had lots of caps out of spec on the 7 so I replaced them with russian pio. I know some of the guys are now using arizona caps.

My advice; Listen to Crooner. He really helped me.

Second, I would not attempt to restuff the filter caps. I did that and it was a lot of work. It came out nice in the end but for the time spent i think I would order direct replacements next time. I believe you can find some really nice chrome or polished ones. Have a look at some of the old threads for sources.

E

I might have to settle for a 7T to pair with the 8B since finding a reasonably priced 7C is near impossible. Anyone try the 7T / 8B combination?

If one turned up affordable, I might try it against no preamp.
Otherwise, I'd be looking for a CJ if I needed a tube preamp.

I originally posted about this in the tube section, and it was suggested I post here since there could be more information to be had. This link is for that post.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/marantz-8b-find.745595/

I have only read about this amplifier and do not have any real knowledge about them other than they are considered highly desirable. I was hoping to find a replacement parts list in the manual I downloaded but it wasn't included.

Feeling pretty lucky to own this beauty, hoping to get a nice 7C preamp someday to pair it with. :thumbsup:

View attachment 831565 View attachment 831566

wow, Nice find....!!!

I have one of the re-issue versions made by VAC. One of my favorite sounding amps, (and I have quite a few)....

Some guys go crazy over keeping it 110% stock, but would suggest at least the lytic caps, and that old celinium rectifier, especially if you are going to use it on a regular basis. Keep all the old parts as others have noted and if you ever sell, all the OEM parts will be available.

J

Back
Top Bottom