AR-12 Restoration & Pics

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I got these for free from the same owner that netted me the ADS 910's, Magnepan SMGs (not working, but physically mint), a Luxman receiver and Mac amp. The Mac & Luxman are sold, I kept the speakers.

I originally passed on the AR's, and after doing some reading about these, I realized they are fairly rare, being made only one year, with unique mids and tweeters to this model. Decided to grab them and save them from the city dump and glad I did.

They are in overall good condition. The cabs need a minor sanding and oiling, no veneer damage. That's a first for me! These are very heavy with nice bracing.
The surrounds are gone, but all the drivers produce sound! I ordered the woofer surrounds from vintage-ar, and need to order the mids surrounds, and caps.

One woofer cone has a warp that I need to figure out how to best straighten out. Any proven methods gents?

Here's some pics.

Glenn

How could I resist? And let them go to the city dump? And Free! And from the original owner with paper work, and.....

Thanks!

how could you pass those up! Looks pretty straight forward and the warp almost looks like when refoamed it will settle back to original orientation. Cabs do look good and will be pretty when they are done being massaged and loved by you! :beerchug:

how could you pass those up! Looks pretty straight forward and the warp almost looks like when refoamed it will settle back to original orientation. Cabs do look good and will be pretty when they are done being massaged and loved by you! :beerchug:
Thanks Geoff! These will be fun and no pots to deal with!
I'll post a better pic of the warped cone, but I thought the same thing hoping the surround would help.

On the CSP forum, there's a thread on these and a comment that these were better sounding than the KLH Fives. I wonder about that, we'll see.

How could I resist? And let them go to the city dump? And Free! And from the original owner with paper work, and.....

Thanks!
Kinda like when I picked up the Nova 8b's for nearly nothing at a local thrift. I just couldn't bare seeing them getting sold to someone who might not know what they had. And they are really good sounding speakers to boot even without the crossover mod. I just thought I had thinned the herd. Thinking about stacking them with my KLH 5's this afternoon using my big Pioneer 4 ch receiver. Might make for some quality Sunday afternoon "play" time. No pun intended!

Kinda like when I picked up the Nova 8b's for nearly nothing at a local thrift. I just couldn't bare seeing them getting sold to someone who might not know what they had. And they are really good sounding speakers to boot even without the crossover mod. I just thought I had thinned the herd. Thinking about stacking them with my KLH 5's this afternoon using my big Pioneer 4 ch receiver. Might make for some quality Sunday afternoon "play" time. No pun intended!

Bet this setup will sound great. Post some pics of the setup when you can.

Glenn

DSCF1353.JPG
Bet this setup will sound great. Post some pics of the setup when you can.

Glenn
Here's a semblance of a pic of the left side. The right is out of view in the other corner. My personal experience in stacking has been best with the cabinets on their sides with woofer to woofer and 6" to 8" off the floor. I prefer the 5's as stand alone but the 8b's really do sound good when AB'd. Together, ooo, ahh! I had the 5's and some 23's stacked the same way and it was an awesome pair together. However, we're going off topic here. Get those AR's done and let's get your impressions!

Attachments

• DSCF1353.JPG
    DSCF1353.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 87
View attachment 674961
Here's a semblance of a pic of the left side. The right is out of view in the other corner. My personal experience in stacking has been best with the cabinets on their sides with woofer to woofer and 6" to 8" off the floor. I prefer the 5's as stand alone but the 8b's really do sound good when AB'd. Together, ooo, ahh! I had the 5's and some 23's stacked the same way and it was an awesome pair together. However, we're going off topic here. Get those AR's done and let's get your impressions!
Very nice! Thanks for the pic!

Made some progress today. Sanded the cabs, and they look very good, very clean. Virtually all the scratches are gone except one on the top face frame, but oh well, adds a little character!

Here's pics.
Glenn

Compared to the Five. They're about the same size cabs.

Last edited:
When I rehabbed my 2ax, one woofer cone was pretty warped from sitting so long without foam. It straightened right out during refoam and has caused no trouble whatsoever since. I think you'll be fine.

Hey,

Congratulations and good score. I drug home a pair of the 14's earlier this year for 40 bux. They just need caps, grills made and a tad of refinishing. The foam is good.

Character rules.

Biggles

Compared to the Five. They're about the same size cabs.

nice score...IIRC the 12 shares the same cabinet volume with the 11 and 10pi

do you use a power sander or hand sand when you do the cabs? how aggressive do you go on grit?

nice score...IIRC the 12 shares the same cabinet volume with the 11 and 10pi

do you use a power sander or hand sand when you do the cabs? how aggressive do you go on grit?

I use a power sander, with 150 grit. I go slow and ligh, but it removes the finish fairly quickly.

I thought the 11 & 10pi would be a larger cab with the 12 inch woofers. I'll have to look at the brochure I got with these. Has this whole series and specs.

Glenn

Hey,

Congratulations and good score. I drug home a pair of the 14's earlier this year for 40 bux. They just need caps, grills made and a tad of refinishing. The foam is good.

Character rules.

Biggles
Hey Doc!

Can't beat free, right! Especially a pair of these.

Nice grab you got as well.

No grills on mine, figure I'll have to make some.
These are a nice easy project for a change, not needing any veneer repairs.

I'm really looking forward to hearing these.

Glenn

Hey Doc!

Can't beat free, right! Especially a pair of these.

Nice grab you got as well.

No grills on mine, figure I'll have to make some.
These are a nice easy project for a change, not needing any veneer repairs.

I'm really looking forward to hearing these.

Glenn

Oddly enough, mine don't need any veneer repairs either. I don't remember any real scratches either. I think mine came with solid foam grills, no frame. Are yours the same deal?

Biggles

Back
Top Bottom