AR 18 - need an opinion

Morden2004

Relaxin'
Does anyone have any listening experience with Acoustic Research's AR-18's? Are these 8" woofers? Can't find moch anywhere about these speakers.

Also, how easy is it to refoam these babys?

Paul

Well, IMO...

... around about 1977 the AR-18's were the best sounding cheap bookshelf speakers you could buy. IIRC they were about $80 apiece. They are small sealed boxes with 8" woofers and a small cone tweeter that looks similar if not identical to the tweeter used in the earlier AR-6 two-way. IMO they had the "tone" of the whole line of AR speakers at that time (starting with the AR-10pi and on down to the big two-ways like the AR-14 and on to the little AR-18). Nice looking, too.

I have an AR whole line brochure from that era and can provide photo and spec scans. PM me if you're interested.

The above comments apply to the "original" Teledyne/AR AR-18. There were much later incarnations of these speakers which I cannot vouch for.

Refoaming is straightforward with the PartsExpress kit. Steve Deckert has an online photo tutorial that's exceptionally detailed at www.decware.com.

I think another consideration might be, "Is it an 18b, bx, or bxi?"

The "b" being a bit more desirable. Better tweeter. Still not an original 18, but better than the last two, which was after they started to cheap out.

Toasted Almond

Thanks to all for the replies.

These AR 18's are probably not what I'm looking for and I don't think they are in the same league as my Boston A70 Series II's so I guess I'll pass on them.

:bigok: As a followup, what do you think of JVC speakers? Same guy has a pair of JVC SK-700 3-way (looks like a 10", a 5" and a 1" dome) and they too need re-foaming. rated at 85 watts RMS and 130 watts peak. I can pick them up locally, so no shipping.

They are cheap, but is it worth putting money into these class of speakers?

Paul

Back
Top Bottom