AR 218V crossover advice

StuartB

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My son has a pair of AR 218V speakers that are in very good shape. The drivers are in excellent condition and I would bet they were pretty high quality for the time and price. My question is on the crossover. I can clearly see one 6 MFD capacitor and one resistor (forget the value). The other two components are wrapped and I can't tell what they are. Any input on if I should consider updating anything beyond the one capacitor?

He is excited to put these into service with his AR-XA turntable that Marc Morin modified.

Here are a couple of pictures of the crossover.IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0550.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, I also wanted to note that I have searched the web for info and pinged Ken Kantor as well. I just don't find any info on the crossover values.

Last edited:
Looks like you have one capacitor, one resistor and two inductors (the things wrapped in plastic). The cap is the only thing I'd worry about replacing.

That is kind of what I was thinking, but the two wrapped pieces (inductors) were throwing me due to the shape and inability to see inside. Thanks.

The caps are 6 mfd, which seems hard to find. I find well known brans at 5.6 or 6.2 (or something like that) If i need to vary a little from 6 even, is there one way that is more advisable than the other? I am thinking Solen or Dayton caps

Stuart -

How did your recap go? I have a pair of these, using them a AV fronts - very pleased with them. Were you able to squeeze a bit more out of them?

It turned out well. I have had very good results with the Clarity PX caps. I thought I had pictures with the new capacitor, but I guess not. It was a tight squeeze to fit the cap on the board and reinstall but they turned out great. Hard to define the improvement since I worked on them and immediately gave them to my son, but in general the Clarity caps on a tweeter gives a more refined, less edgy sound from my experience. It was definitely worth the cost and effort.

Well good to know. These are very pleasing little speakers, even for AV use, and though I don't think I'll recap them right away, it's good to know there's this option. :thumbsup:

Old thread but PE has 6 uf film and foil caps, and the less expensive Dayton metallized poly in 3 uf. Anything within about 10% of the original value should be fine but it doesn't hurt to be precise. If you are paralleling two caps, it's recommended they be as equal as possible, OR one should be much larger than the other. In other words 5.8 + .2 or 3+3.

Back
Top Bottom